Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

49% Americans:Atheists Not Welcome

Davros of Skaro

Poll:"Brace yourself for family backlash if you plan to marry an atheist.

A new Pew Research survey chiefly focused on political polarization also found Americans divided when someone in the family picks a nonbeliever to marry.

Atheists are the most unwanted future relative, by far. Nearly half (49 percent) of Americans say they would be unhappy if a member of their immediate family picked an unbeliever for a spouse. "* The Young Turks host Cenk Uygur breaks it down.

*Read more here from Cathy Lynn Grossman & Religion News Service / The Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/15/atheist-in-laws-survey_n_5492864.html

Big surprise! Religion causes so much drama in people's lives, rejecting someone because they don't believe in some old fairy tale. Christians can't help themselves, jesus syndrome should be in the DSM.

• Like 3

Big surprise! Religion causes so much drama in people's lives, rejecting someone because they don't believe in some old fairy tale. Christians can't help themselves, jesus syndrome should be in the DSM.

Google "christ psychosis" and have a good laugh.

Peoples relationship or lack thereof, with God, should be between each individual and God (or not)

This is what fundamentalists fail to grasp and is a big source of suffering in the world.

Google "christ psychosis" and have a good laugh.

People like you focused in on Christians as a source of negativity are also part of the problem.
  • Like 8

Never would I marry an atheist.

Edited by aka CAT

People like you focused in on Christians as a source of negativity are also part of the problem.

I do not see Jews picketing Red Lobster.

You cannot be a Muslim if you do not believe Jesus existed.

What Religion shouts at people on the Streets that they are going to Hell.

Religion prevents people from seeking mental help.

• Like 5

I'd never be happily married to an atheist.

Of course.You need daily confirmation of your delusion.

• Like 3

"I do not see Jews picketing Red Lobster."

Christians should not be eating there either if they actually properly followed their fables.

Jesus said that whatever goes in the mouth cannot defile a Man.So their myth to them ruled on Shellfish eating as ok.

Edited by davros of skaro

I dont believe this. This poll has to be full of ****. People do not care that much

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

I dont believe this. This poll has to be full of ****. People do not care that much

There're young people in the U.S. that are in hiding because of their nonbelief.They would be threatened if they came out.

You think people do not take their fairy tales seriously?

Going off comments right here....

Atheist = Jerk

If either of my kids was talking about marrying a Jerk I'd argue against it too.

It has been my personal experience that atheists are Mouthy and can't help themselves from being smug and having to talk (write?) about it. Who wants that in a marriage?

Just my opinion...... :innocent:

• Like 7

I don't think the article said if the poll was nationwide or state or local. Just that it was about 10,000 people. Could be Texas, or Mississippi, for all we know.

• Like 2

Atheist = Jerk

If either of my kids was talking about marrying a Jerk I'd argue against it too.

It has been my personal experience that atheists are Mouthy and can't help themselves from being smug and having to talk (write?) about it. Who wants that in a marriage?

I can say the same thing about Theists that invoke imaginary friends and foes.

There're young people in the U.S. that are in hiding because of their nonbelief.They would be threatened if they came out.

You think people do not take their fairy tales seriously?

The poll may be right, but from my experiences its not even close. From my experiences no one really cares, and no one is really in hiding.

• Like 4

The poll may be right, but from my experiences its not even close. From my experiences no one really cares, and no one is really in hiding.

I cannot gather all the comments I have seen from young people, but I can point you to this.

http://www.clergyproject.org/

The comment section of this video should hold clues?

Edited by davros of skaro

Well, most these post seem to illuminate rather well why half of Americans wouldn't welcome an Atheist to their family. *LOL* To late for mine;we've already got them.

My family knows I don't go to church but they do not know I'm an atheist, if they knew they wouldn't turn me out but there would be constant discussion about my soul and probably tears.

If they knew I was with an atheist, there would certainly be lots of concerned and passive aggressive comments made.

With polls it depends on who you ask and how the questions are posed. I take them very lightly.

Edited by karmakazi
  • Like 1

Atheist = Jerk

And in my experience most Christians I've met are smug, self satisfied jerks who get high off their own fumes, beat their gay kids and kick out any of their family members who don't conform to their beliefs.

We have people who are absolutely terrified of being found out to be atheist for that reason or due to job risk. Parents risk divorce and the very real risk of loosing access to their kids.

I can't imagine where all this frustration on an anonymous internet forum towards Christians could be coming from.

• Like 2

And in my experience most Christians I've met are smug, self satisfied jerks who get high off their own fumes, beat their gay kids and kick out any of their family members who don't conform to their beliefs.

We have people who are absolutely terrified of being found out to be atheist for that reason or due to job risk. Parents risk divorce and the very real risk of loosing access to their kids.

I can't imagine where all this frustration on an anonymous internet forum towards Christians could be coming from.

So you live in Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia or South Carolina? You should do more research. Look into churches in the MidWest, California, and Pacific NorthWest. Aside from Catholics, most Protestants are very progressive in their religion.

You should probably should ask Davros why he is frustrated.... He's posted the most in the thread with the strongest opinions.

So you live in Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia or South Carolina? You should do more research. Look into churches in the MidWest, California, and Pacific NorthWest. Aside from Catholics, most Protestants are very progressive in their religion.

You should probably should ask Davros why he is frustrated.... He's posted the most in the thread with the strongest opinions.

Oh yes, because that excuses these Christians because hey, other churches are better.

And they are, when they're in a progressive culture. When they hold the sway, well not so much.

I was countering your anecdotes with my own. I also explained that many atheists, even in places which are more liberal, still experience a lot of hate.

I'm going to guess you're a member of one of these nice liberal churches.

I really don't care, your "ok, but these churches aren't like that!" does nothing to the point of how many people who are atheist, agnostic, LGBQT, or simply members of the wrong form of theism (Christian or otherwise) get crap from Christians.

And that it tends to come out when they're in an anonymous environment.

That coupled with "internet a-hole syndrome" of course.

• Like 1

Of course.You need daily confirmation of your delusion.

I don't think a lot of average Christian men would want to marry a fanatic. Most Christian men are seasonal believers...

I could mary an Athiest. But it couldent work if she refused to converse about the spirit that holds all the molecules togeather.

I suppose it would be possible if I were a yes dear kind o guy, or she agree to disa gree kind of girl.

• Like 1

I could mary an Athiest. But it couldent work if she refused to converse about the spirit that holds all the molecules togeather.

I suppose it would be possible if I were a yes dear kind o guy, or she agree to disa gree kind of girl.

Yeah... don't marry a physicist then.
  • Like 6

Atheist = Jerk

It's the younger ones (and the stupid ones) who think that atheism is something to be shouted about like it makes them better than everyone else or some how smarter. It doesn't. It just makes them look like imbeciles and makes the rest of us atheists look stupid as a result, much as the fundamentalists do to Christians, Muslims, etc.

i'm not entirely convinced that those type of atheists are even atheists at all. I think they do it for the "shock" value and to hate on religion for whatever reason.

• Like 9

Interesting; I spent my career selling and servicing computer services mainly to Americans, and never felt the slightest difficulty telling them I was a Communist, an atheist and a Buddhist. Of course explanations would be asked for, but once that was over everything was fine.

It may have had to do with the level of education the people I dealt with tended to have.

• Like 2