Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

49% Americans:Atheists Not Welcome

Davros of Skaro

Atheists are more likely to stay married than theists. It seems the ones that don't take it seriously are the ones who've enshrined it.

Atheists are more likely to stay married than theists. It seems the ones that don't take it seriously are the ones who've enshrined it.

• Like 1

What about them? Do I hate/avoid/fear all of them? Nope. I've dealt with many "bikers" of all kinds and from different clubs. Not all bad people. *shrug*

Nibs

Edit to remove extra "f"

You're a female, it's a little different with guys.

atheism is a sickness of hate and intolerance from what i gather here on these forums.

atheism is a sickness of hate and intolerance from what i gather here on these forums.

tumblr_inline_n059qaRvVb1rt2a43.gif

Nah. :)

Nibs

• Like 5

As a Pagan, I would marry an atheist before I would marry a Christian. I have tried dating Christians and it never works out. They seem to get this silly notion I am going to hell and going to take them with me or they don't like it when I practice my witchcraft. I haven't been out with many atheist, but those who are my friends don't care about what I do for religion and one actually shows up for my rituals. I have a son who has be seduced by the darkside (Christianity) and married a Christian girl. I don't really care what he or his wife (I love her, sweet girl) believes, but I avoid his in laws at all costs. They are Christian = jerks for sure.

• Like 2

As a devote, “bible bashing” Christian it always troubles me, literally hurts my heart, when I hear the horrific stories of people who have been scared by a so-called Christian. Your experience with people who call themselves Christian, but do not behave as Jesus would, is appalling - they are not truly Christians. If your church is teaching you that you should take a gun to, spit on, yell at, ignore, hate, or hurt anyone who is non-Christian, well that's wrong and you should find another church. That is not the teachings of Jesus. If you meet a "Christian" who in the end hurts you in some way, you should speak up and call them out on it. It's not the way they should behave and they need someone to tell them that!

I, as well as my family, friends, and fellow church members, try to live by this: 'They will know we are Christians by our love.' Each and every Christian should search deeply into their heart and honestly answer if they are truly living it out, showing others love, and fostering the Kingdom of God. I would venture to guess that a majority of American Christians cannot honestly answer that question. I am saddened by the hate that is shown by so-called "followers of Christ".

However, please accept my apology if I, at times, come off as smug too. It's just I know what I believe and I'm very confident it what I believe, and that will come off as smug and pretentious.

• Like 2

Poll:"Brace yourself for family backlash if you plan to marry an atheist.

That's OK. We're used to it.

But if Hobby Lobby gets its way and is allowed to discriminate against anybody it wants to on the basis of religion, then look out blacks, Jews, gays, disabled folks, and anybody else "Christians" feel like discriminating against. Looks like hatred and bigotry are about to come out of the closet (again).

Doug

• Like 1

Such ignorance.

Such arrogance.

Such arrogance.

Such certainty on both sides.

Just FYI...I've been with my husband, a Christian, since 1985, dating, then living together and finally married. His mother didn't attend church, was devout, but not openly. My husband hasn't attended church since he was a child. Neither of them ever asked if I was a believer or not. I think it may have come up in a conversation once in about 1989. They both just looked at each other, shrugged and started talking about something else.

• Like 2

Groovy for you. According to your logic, it must be Greenman's fault.

Look, even the Christians posting in this thread recognize this is a reality, though they are quick to separate it from their True Christianity. Give it a rest, hey?

Even those two great firebrands, Dawkins and Silverman are happily married to Christians. My fiance is Christian. Cut it out.

You're fiancé must feel like a lucky, lucky girl.

Ok, 49%. How much is the percental portion of creationists within this 49%?

Edited by toast

You can insult me, you can disagree with me, but you move to my fiancee and imply in any way I'm abusive or insultive towards her, we're done.

I'd be interested to see where that statistic comes from?

Why would I be the exception? Maybe because I don't have a chip on my shoulder or meet Christians with suspicion and hostility? I don't get in their face with my atheism? I don't want to hear about their religious affiliation and it's none of their business what mine is...or lack thereof.

People claim to have been persecuted over and over by total strangers because they are atheists, but how do those people know? Do you shout if from the rooftops, wear t-shirts or have bumper stickers? I've never hidden the fact that I'm an atheists, but quite honestly, the subject of religion very rarely ever comes up. I would have to be looking for a place interject my atheism into a conversation for it to be mentioned at all.

Michelle, you are talking to a Atheist Support Group Leader in the person of HappyMonkey. It is like trying to talk about abortion with a Abortion Support Group Leader. They don't get to be the leader of a group by Not having a firm opinion. Even to the point of rationalizing anything and everything.

Of course someone who sees the worst things that can happen to a person as an Atheist is going to be rabidly pro-atheist. It is a no brainer. If I was in a support group of Pit Bull owners, I'd very quickly be rabidly (pun) pro-pit bull.

From the outside looking in, every Christian sect claims that every other Christian sect has it wrong. Maybe the villages that burned witches are wrong. Maybe Westboro baptist is wrong. Who knows? The rest of the world rolls their eyes and lumps all Christian sects under the same banner: Christianity.

And the most vocal of atheists is most often the angry young male, which puts up the banner that Atheists don't make good marriage partners.

The study is totally correct and totally justified, in my opinion. Wouldn't around 50% of people only know atheism from loud mouth jerks?

Funny, I have the same opinion of Christians.

As for marrying an atheist goes, from what I've read about the high rates of divorce in Christian marriages (the more fundamental the higher the rate by the way), if you want your marriage to last, you're probably better off sticking to atheists.

I'd just ask that you go over the thread with a fair eye. Especially page one. And see if my post was justified. What is the public image of atheism? What is the public image of Christianity? Is either actually correct?

I think what makes a marriage work is marrying someone Like Minded, with the closer the better.

Do you have a link/resource to Christians having a higher divorce rate?

I have no patience for her because she resorts to victim blaming and insisting that since it never happened to her it doesn't happen. Then insults my relationship.

• Like 1

Things happen, but people either take no notice, or deny to make hidden.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=C9sJj7QqAZ8

Psalm 10:4

4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.

Psalm 14:1

14 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Psalm 58:3

3 The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

Psalm 71:4

4 Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked, out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man.

Mark 7:21-23

21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:

23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

2 Corinthians 6:14

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

2 Thessalonians 2:10

10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

2 Thessalonians 2:12

12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Oh Hellfire. Davros is bringing out the scripture quotes again.

I'll just address the last one. On Judgement Day, everyone will come before Jesus, and if a soul is unrepentant and turned away from Jesus's message, then they go into the Fire. My question then is why would someone, confronted with Jesus in person, and knowing they are dead and waiting judgement, NOT be repentant and confess Jesus is salvation?

I'd just ask that you go over the thread with a fair eye. Especially page one. And see if my post was justified. What is the public image of atheism? What is the public image of Christianity? Is either actually correct?

It's like people thinking all Christians are represented by the Westboro Baptist Church...embarrassing. If I don't speak up every now and then the average person thinks all atheists are rabid, Christian hating, zealots.

• Like 3

Oh Hellfire. Davros is bringing out the scripture quotes again.

I'll just address the last one. On Judgement Day, everyone will come before Jesus, and if a soul is unrepentant and turned away from Jesus's message, then they go into the Fire. My question then is why would someone, confronted with Jesus in person, and knowing they are dead and waiting judgement, NOT be repentant and confess Jesus is salvation?

I'd just have to shake my head and say, "I'll be damned...I was wrong." and see where it goes from there. :lol:

• Like 1