Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oklahoma Senator cites Genesis 1:29

questionmark

OKLAHOMA CITY, June 16 (UPI) --

And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. - Genesis 1:29,
Bible

Constance Johnson, an Oklahoma state Senator and a Democrat, has launched a statewide initiative to legalize marijuana, citing the preceding Bible verse as the grounds for the movement.

"We're putting forth Genesis 1:29 as the basis of this campaign," Johnson said to her supporters at the state capitol Friday according to local News channel KFOR reports.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/06/16/Oklahoma-Senator-cites-Genesis-129-as-basis-for-legalizing-marijuana/2221402953544/#ixzz34tdsUWXS

• Like 4

I'm all in for governments legalizing all plants, cos they are.. well... plants.

Too funny. I'm thinking he isn't going to get the reception he desires :) I believe he has a point though. I don't think pot is as dangerous as alcohol long term but it isn't harmless either. 20 years or less after it gets legalized I believe a natural stigma will arise in society over those who use it regularly. People do love to look down the nose after all.

I've never gone to the store and bought a pack of cigarettes despite them being legal my entire life. I don't anticipate a sharp increase in the number of pot smokers when it's legalized, either. That's kind of a silly argument that anti-legalization crowd likes to throw out there.

• Like 2

Certainly an interesting way to phrase the argument. :) What's Oklahoma's state constitution like on the separation of church and state though?

I've always fancied eating me some belladonna.

p.s. Is Phil collins still in Genesis?

• Like 2

p.s. Is Phil collins still in Genesis?

I think the quote in question is Gabriel-era Genesis, before Genesis went mass-market. I think Gabriel also did some work for a Middle Eastern client - after the break-up.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 2

Certainly an interesting way to phrase the argument. :) What's Oklahoma's state constitution like on the separation of church and state though?

Do you mean as written or as actually carried out? Because effectively there is almost no barrier between our policymakers trying to legislate and justify their religious beliefs as though they applied to everybody. They could definitely use a couple of classes on law.

• Like 2

I don't intend to push any sort of beliefs about marijuana on anyone, nor would I advertise or advocate its recreational use.

But people drink alcohol, which is a depressant, and it causes people to kill others through drunk driving...

I think marijuana is a logistically sound choice to legalize. It is psychotropic, but it is indeed a plant.

And telling adults what they can and cannot put in their bodies is silly.

• Like 3

I don't intend to push any sort of beliefs about marijuana on anyone, nor would I advertise or advocate its recreational use.

But people drink alcohol, which is a depressant, and it causes people to kill others through drunk driving...

I think marijuana is a logistically sound choice to legalize. It is psychotropic, but it is indeed a plant.

And telling adults what they can and cannot put in their bodies is silly.

I'm pretty libertarian in my thinking on social rights. Legalizing marijuana is a no-brainer imo but the problem is, and I am playing devil's advocate, your last sentence is what many people argue, when arguing against its legalization. The argument is similar to forcing children to eat healthier. The obesity rate in this country is an epidemic and will cost this country billions of dollars in future medical costs. By legalizing marijuana, it is just another toxin to put in your body and will cost society as a whole, alot of money. I disagree with that line of thinking. I think that consenting adults have a right to injest anything so long as they do not harm any body else. For example,if you drink, do not drive.

Scotchguard carpet cleaner gives one hell of a buzz. And it's legal. So because it's legal does that mean I'm going to go sniff Scotchguard? Dumbest argument, ever.

Why do we need big govt protecting us from stupid people but only where marijuana is concerned?

• Like 1

Even if Pot was legal (and I think it should be), I'd still

Too funny. I'm thinking he isn't going to get the reception he desires :) I believe he has a point though. I don't think pot is as dangerous as alcohol long term but it isn't harmless either. 20 years or less after it gets legalized I believe a natural stigma will arise in society over those who use it regularly. People do love to look down the nose after all.

I have that stigma right now. I think people who smoke pot to excess have a problem, and I do look down on them for it.

Of course, I feel the same about alcoholics.

Still, it should be their own choice in doing so.

I understand the supposed argument that pot is a gateway drug, but then beer could be considered a gateway to hard liquor. But I know a lot of people who only drink beer and don't touch the hard stuff. just like I know people who smoke pot and don't do other drugs. So that argument is pretty lame and since the government is only taking a half hearted approach to the war on drugs just like everything else it does (except collecting taxes from the middle class) I'm more than willing to try the alternative. think of all the prison space it would free up, all the tax money, and all the court time

I don't see why we need to bring religion into this common sense should be enough.

I understand the supposed argument that pot is a gateway drug, but then beer could be considered a gateway to hard liquor. But I know a lot of people who only drink beer and don't touch the hard stuff. just like I know people who smoke pot and don't do other drugs. So that argument is pretty lame and since the government is only taking a half hearted approach to the war on drugs just like everything else it does (except collecting taxes from the middle class) I'm more than willing to try the alternative. think of all the prison space it would free up, all the tax money, and all the court time

I don't see why we need to bring religion into this common sense should be enough.

Because he is a politician that is trying to get his constituency on board and they are religious. Oklahoma surprises me politically once in a while so even though my guess is this will go nowhere I won't be too caught off guard if it gains traction.

Perhaps we should mix a little nightshade and toadstool in with every once of marijuana. After all, they are natural substances and can't possibly be unhealthy.

I'd vote to legalize Pot, if the same legislation makes cigarettes illegal. I figure it should be one or the other. Give a new legal vice, then take another away.

I don't see how Genesis 1:29 equals legalization of pot.

It really depends on if the government considers pot to be "poisonous" or not. And I mean poison in that it has a "negative" effect on the body. And I mean negative as that someone smoking pot should probably not be driving, or working with heavy equipment, working with electricity, or performing surgery.

Edited by DieChecker

I don't see how Genesis 1:29 equals legalization of pot.

It really depends on if the government considers pot to be "poisonous" or not. And I mean poison in that it has a "negative" effect on the body. And I mean negative as that someone smoking pot should probably not be driving, or working with heavy equipment, working with electricity, or performing surgery.

It doesn't "equal" legalization of pot. If you go through peoples' statements looking for equality in every comparison you'll never be able to make a comparison between two different things. They're either equal or different. Black or white.

If we're going to speak about a substance in generalities like this it's more accurate to say that it stops the shakes; if you're a shaky surgeon, cannabis might really help you.

The oldest medicine is the newest medicine. And nobody can stop it. Oh they'll cry like they are here. But in the years ahead you're going to hear more and more science cut through the mythology, the indoctrination and the politics of prohibition.

It doesn't "equal" legalization of pot. If you go through peoples' statements looking for equality in every comparison you'll never be able to make a comparison between two different things. They're either equal or different. Black or white.

If we're going to speak about a substance in generalities like this it's more accurate to say that it stops the shakes; if you're a shaky surgeon, cannabis might really help you.

The oldest medicine is the newest medicine. And nobody can stop it. Oh they'll cry like they are here. But in the years ahead you're going to hear more and more science cut through the mythology, the indoctrination and the politics of prohibition.

I'm not actually arguing that marijuana isn't a useful drug. And that is not what the OP is about anyway.

They are using a Biblical scriptural quote as a tag line to promote pot legalization. And I think that the scripture being used has no context that equals legalizing pot.

That plus the "it is natural" argument is what I am going against. Nightshade is natural also....

Anyway, people don't want pot labeled as a drug, or medicine, they want it to be recreational, like drinking beer. If people had to get a doctor's note or prescription to get their pot, even if all it said was Health = OK, then I'm fine with it. And sell it at a controlled store, with controlled tested substances... That I am fine with. But, people think that they are going to be able to grow it like a vegetable in their back yards, but I very much doubt that the Feds are going to let such a good tax opportunity pass them by.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

I'm not actually arguing that marijuana isn't a useful drug. And that is not what the OP is about anyway.

They are using a Biblical scriptural quote as a tag line to promote pot legalization. And I think that the scripture being used has no context that equals legalizing pot.

That plus the "it is natural" argument is what I am going against. Nightshade is natural also....

Anyway, people don't want pot labeled as a drug, or medicine, they want it to be recreational, like drinking beer. If people had to get a doctor's note or prescription to get their pot, even if all it said was Health = OK, then I'm fine with it. And sell it at a controlled store, with controlled tested substances... That I am fine with. But, people think that they are going to be able to grow it like a vegetable in their back yards, but I very much doubt that the Feds are going to let such a good tax opportunity pass them by.

It's slang term 'weed' is a description on how it grows. Part of the problem is the fact that controlling it's growth would be near impossible for any gov't. It would be like how well controlled brewing or distilling your own alcohol is.

With that said, it shouldn't have ever been illegal. Telling grown people what and how they ingest something is no one's business.

• Like 1

I'm pretty libertarian in my thinking on social rights. Legalizing marijuana is a no-brainer imo but the problem is, and I am playing devil's advocate, your last sentence is what many people argue, when arguing against its legalization. The argument is similar to forcing children to eat healthier. The obesity rate in this country is an epidemic and will cost this country billions of dollars in future medical costs. By legalizing marijuana, it is just another toxin to put in your body and will cost society as a whole, alot of money. I disagree with that line of thinking. I think that consenting adults have a right to injest anything so long as they do not harm any body else. For example,if you drink, do not drive.

Very true, and I like your reasoning. Thank you for your response!

Just like how when alcohol was illegal, crime syndicates made bank off of bathtub gin. That's my logic.

As long as marijuana is illegal, you have to consider the amount of crime committed in Mexico that spills over on our borders as well.

It may be toxic to smoke anything; I smoke cigarettes. But alcohol is a depressant, and is toxic as well.

To play the devil's advocate, car accidents occur more frequently when alcohol is ingested.

Cool, now I can go get poppy seeds and make some opium or heroin. According to his logic. Let's not forget Cocaine from the coca leaf.

Cool, now I can go get poppy seeds and make some opium or heroin. According to his logic. Let's not forget Cocaine from the coca leaf.

And that should be no one's business other than your own.

• Like 2

Legalizing pot.. not good. Americans are mindless enough without help. Just another example of this one time great nation going to the dogs. The American government just wants to make it's citizens totally dependant on the on the government. Think about it.. Jobs are failing, unemployment, foodstamps and walfare are being handed out at an unfathomable rate of speed, not only to Americans but to illegals too. Just to make things worse and to be sure the citizens are dependable on the government, not that there are enough drugs in this country being handed out from corner, now we want legalize another mind altering substance to pass out. I am for the legalization of medical marijuana! there are many benefits for it. I am however not for the continued dumbing down of Americans citizens so a couple of rich jerkoffs with control issues can have their way.

Edited by Ogbin

You've never had French Fries?

Harte

• Like 1

Legalizing pot.. not good. Americans are mindless enough without help. Just another example of this one time great nation going to the dogs. The American government just wants to make it's citizens totally dependant on the on the government. Think about it.. Jobs are failing, unemployment, foodstamps and walfare are being handed out at an unfathomable rate of speed, not only to Americans but to illegals too. Just to make things worse and to be sure the citizens are dependable on the government, not that there are enough drugs in this country being handed out from corner, now we want legalize another mind altering substance to pass out. I am for the legalization of medical marijuana! there are many benefits for it. I am however not for the continued dumbing down of Americans citizens so a couple of rich jerkoffs with control issues can have their way.

The government should have no say in what a legal person chooses to put in their body.

They have enough control over us.

I am not an advocate for any drugs/substances. I will most likely never be a user of any, illegal or no, but it should be MY decision, not the governments.

• Like 2