Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Marine Animal Thought to be Extinct

Still Waters

Protulophila, a microscopic marine animal thought to have been extinct for 4 million years, has been found living in seas around New Zealand.

http://www.sci-news....live-01994.html

• Like 1

I know it's difficult to compare a small organism to something like...oh I don't know....a plesiosaur or a megalodon. Unlikely to still be alive but you never know we have only explored 5% of the ocean

We have a vast Ocean to explore.

Another one for the marine cryptid fans to cling to...

So what does it prey upon?

I know it's difficult to compare a small organism to something like...oh I don't know....a plesiosaur or a megalodon. Unlikely to still be alive but you never know we have only explored 5% of the ocean

We still find unknown plants and animals every year, but large ones are uncommon, because, well, they are large and likely would be noticed already. The ocean does make a better hiding place, having been out at sea for days and not seeing more than the occasional flying fish, it's amazing how much "empty" ocean there is and how far and wide the life is scattered.

• Like 1

Most of these fossil species are like in remote areas or deep under the ocean, I doubt that felt the effects of the fallout from extinction events due to they live in their own environment cut off from the rest.

Sounds like some excellent detective work by these biologists.

I like how quite a lot people have replaced religion with science nowadays yet fail to see that science is only "fact" until it's proven wrong. Just because there is no proof of a number of things doesn't mean that they don't exist. I'm not trying to attach this case to UFOs or Ghosts etc but just the fact that science can sometimes be blind faith is just as weird as religion. I'm not religious or spiritual in any way, I just think with these forums there is a lot of argument between both and they can both be equally inaccurate.

It is clear I think, mysteries await us in the depths of our oceans, as they do in the expanse of the universe. Always fascinating to watch the seas part and see the wonders beneath the waves we never knew were there...

We need to explore more in the ocean; there is only a small percent of the ocean we know about, and if you look at the diverse organisms there, we can only begin to imagine what else lies beyond the surface.