Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Couple photograph ‘ghost woman of Alcatraz’

Still Waters

The ghosts of some of America's most notorious inmates are said to haunt former maximum security prison Alcatraz.

But quite why one seemingly showed herself to a British couple left jail staff baffled.

http://metro.co.uk/2...catraz-4765738/

• Like 1

Looks ghostly enough to me.

The ghosts of some of America's most notorious inmates are said to haunt former maximum security prison Alcatraz.

But quite why one seemingly showed herself to a British couple left jail staff baffled.

http://metro.co.uk/2...catraz-4765738/

I'm not entirely convinced of the ghost idea because of the possibility of the photo being a fake, but it does look a bit creepy. The woman in the photo has a not very modern hairdo.

• Like 2

There were never any female prisoners in Alcatraz so why would a ghost of a woman be in a cell? Even a visitor to see an inmate wouldn't go in the cell block

• Like 8

it's a ghost app, It is not on my list but i am searching for it now.

• Like 6

There were women and children, families of staff that lived on Alcatraz.

That picture is quite spooky though.

:td: Its her own reflection.

Sorry, I gave you a like but had to take it back. At first I agreed with you but then had an afterthought; if it's her reflection then where is the camera? It cannot be said it's being held low, hidden against her black dress, (<my original conclusion) because clearly the angie, (camera is eye level with subject) of the img doesn't support that.

Probably photoshopped.

• Like 2

True.

I was just there and didn't see this chick in any of my pics.

• Like 1

They didn't go in the cell blocks though did they?

They didn't go in the cell blocks though did they?

How about a nurse or a cleaner?

True, but I can't find any sources that state a female ever died on the island.

I have a feeling that Brian will have an answer for us shortly.

I'll be there on Monday and will see what I can find.

Edited by Rafterman

How about a nurse or a cleaner?

The cons did the cleaning and I wouldn't imagine a nurse would be in a cell ever.

• Like 1

Sorry, I gave you a like but had to take it back. At first I agreed with you but then had an afterthought; if it's her reflection then where is the camera? It cannot be said it's being held low, hidden against her black dress, (<my original conclusion) because clearly the angie, (camera is eye level with subject) of the img doesn't support that.

Probably photoshopped.

Could be the reflection of someone else, or a prop at the prison which was behind them? It does look like it's been added though, I'm no image expert, but it doesn't look right. Maybe the people at Alcatraz have stuck a little gizmo in some of the cells which pop up a little carboard figure every now and then, to boost profits?
  • Like 1

I just download 30 new apps (i last updated it 3 months ago) and going through them right now.

• Like 3

So i am slowly updating my UM blog of more ghost apps but from looking at the picture i can come to two realistic explanations, which is either a ghost app (took photo with IPHONE) or

it is photoshopped.

The reason is that the "ghost", is layered in front of the glass window. There is a news report showing a video of the window with it smears all over it. Most likely it was a transparent image since you do see a smudge but it is under the ghost image. the right side of the window is poorly blended also. I do not have a PC ATM to show a visual comparison of the errors.

also the photos i found have their exif data tampered

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 5

Could be the reflection of someone else, or a prop at the prison which was behind them? It does look like it's been added though, I'm no image expert, but it doesn't look right.

Now that you mention it, and I take another look-see, the camera does appear to be above the window, and the taker could be standing to the side so as not to be caught in the reflection.

Maybe the people at Alcatraz have stuck a little gizmo in some of the cells which pop up a little carboard figure every now and then, to boost profits?

lol But wouldn't a 'prop at the prison behind them', or a 'pop-up' of someone famous who served time be more fun than some random women? Capone popping up for a photo op. would be cool!

Probably photoshopped.

Ahhhh Hah! True.

The TA's hair looks a lot like the ghosts. Pull it back. Look at the facial structure of both of them. Could it be a reflection jon one of the panes of glass or he took the photo and she was behind the door? Could be?

I have no knowledge of photoshop techniques. I wouldnt be able to assess it in that manner.

Edited by regeneratia

Probably photoshopped.

Very seldom anymore do people put a camera to the face. It is generally held away from the body and if it is like a selfie, held at arm's length. What if she saw her own reflection, then tried to get artsy, and took a selfie of the reflection? Just what if? I don't have to be right. And I don't have to make you wrong.

• Like 1

As far as know, there were no women locked up at the rock, so where did she come from? There were families that lived on the island (about 300 people total at any given time) but I am not aware of any of them dying on the island. So the big question is, if the photo is legit (not sure) then where did she(mystery woman) come from?????

• Like 1

As far as know, there were no women locked up at the rock, so where did she come from? There were families that lived on the island (about 300 people total at any given time) but I am not aware of any of them dying on the island. So the big question is, if the photo is legit (not sure) then where did she(mystery woman) come from?????

well maybe in the afterlife they also got something like .. ghost tour. tourist of the dead ! when i die I'm going to make a trip to the moon :D