Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shooting Star?

coriverson

My cousin shot this on her phone during a family gathering on New Years Day 2014 around 7 pm. I watched it from another window . From the time stamp on the different videos it lasted at least 9 minutes. My cousin thought that she had accidentally deleted the videos but found them recently. I'm not really sure what it is.

A warning the videos were shot through old wavy windows, with unsteady camera movements and over zoom at places.

Were the videos shot just after sunset by any chance?

What direction, roughly are we looking?

I'm guessing the answers are yes and roughly south-west. I'll explain why later.

• Like 2

Maybe one of these?

If it is a planet then it is going to be Venus. That was why I asked the questions that I did. Venus was extremely bright in the south-west just after sunset in January.

The video looks like it was taken in twilight,

If it is a planet then it is going to be Venus. That was why I asked the questions that I did. Venus was extremely bright in the south-west just after sunset in January.

The video looks like it was taken in twilight,

Venus can be incredibly bright sometimes.

Not a 'shooting star', those last microseconds.

Zoomed out it appears to be a planet but zoomed in it becomes elongated. (Video Special Effects Software in the camera or a special lens?)

In the second video, (the best imo) when zoomed in, the brightest part appears to change positions from one end to the other, indicating a weaving motion. A fireball of de-orbiting space junk might exhibit such a wobbling motion if the object were not aerodynamically shaped.

Judging by the way the 'trails' change and vanish but only as the view moves to different areas of the glass, plus the very obvious huge distortions coming from the glass - the trees also suffer from it! - the elongation is not real and is simply a result of mainly horizontal imperfections in that glass. Venus is my guess too. And I have to ask, why didn't they open the window or go outside if it was worthy of flming?

• Like 1

Hmm. Venus usually looks like a bright star and this was moving so fast.

Edited by Benfornow

Hmm.

Actually it wasn't.

Virtually all the motion is due to the shaking of the camera. The original post tells us that the three videos were filmed over a period of nine minutes.

Actually it wasn't.

Virtually all the motion is due to the shaking of the camera. The original post tells us that the three videos were filmed over a period of nine minutes.

http://bobmoler.word...nd-the-planets/

This website shows Venus with a crescent phase for January 1 2014.

Edited by Benfornow

This website shows Venus with a crescent phase for January 1 2014.

And your point is?

The phases of Venus are only visible through a telescope.

• Like 1

And your point is?

The phases of Venus are only visible through a telescope.

Yes and what is shown in the video is not crescent phase and would be easy to see with the naked eyes so how can it be Venus?

Yes and what is shown in the video is not crescent phase and would be easy to see with the naked eyes so how can it be Venus?

Hmm.

Do you have something to add?

You are confused. The video was taken by a hand-held phone camera.

I repeat the phases of Venus can only be seen in a telescope.

You don't seem to have understood this, so I'll explain a little more:

Since this was obviously not filmed through a telescope it will not show phases.

It doesn't matter how much you don't want the answer to be Venus the reality is that the most probable answer IS that it was Venus. Inventing non-existent arguments isn't going to change that.

You are confused. The video was taken by a hand-held phone camera.

That makes a difference how? The camera is zoomed in on the object and then all the way out. At zero zoom it is going to be equivalent to the naked eyes.

That makes a difference how? The camera is zoomed in on the object and then all the way out. At zero zoom it is going to be equivalent to the naked eyes.

Hmm.

The zoom on a phone camera will barely show you the phases of the Moon (go and try it if you don't believe me). It will certainly not show the phases of Venus.

Hmm.

taniwha we have rules on this site including this one.

2e. Garbage posting: Do not deliberately post nonsense either for personal amusement or to wind up other members, keep your posts sensible.

That is three times you have repeated the same junk post, I really suggest you don't do it a fourth time.

• Like 1

The zoom on a phone camera will barely show you the phases of the Moon (go and try it if you don't believe me). It will certainly not show the phases of Venus.

Ok, the website lied about the phase for that date.

Ok, the website lied about the phase for that date.

No it didn't.

This is not rocket science.

You need a telescope to see the phases of Venus.

A phone camera can not show the phases of Venus.

Since this was filmed on a phone camera it can not possibly show the phase of Venus.

Please, what part of this are you not understanding?

No it didn't.

The web site said thin crescent, it has a picture of Venus in crescent phase. What is so complicated?