Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious light in the fog

UM-Bot

Story submission by: Silent Trinity Location: Ganstead, East Yorkshire

My story is one only a few in my family have been told, partly because at the time I feared ridicule and partly because, well I don't know what I saw or experienced exactly. In my youth and into my early adult years, through until my mid twenties, I used to race cycles competitively. I was passiona...

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ight-in-the-fog

• Like 3

Well that was an interesting read.... The only thing I can think of is maybe a search and rescue helicopter with its beam of light searching for someone/something. Trouble is if it was that you would have been deafened by the noise instead of just hearing a hum even though fog can bend the sound, so I think we can rule that suggestion out :lol: and of course it wouldn't have left a sunburn mark on your head or messed up your cycle clock. I must admit when I first started reading your story though that's what came to mind.

I don't know if you'll ever find out what that light was, good luck with that. Thank you for sharing your story - fascinating!

• Like 1

Hmm, thats very interesting. I cant even begin to think what that could have been. All I know is if I saw something like that, I would have been freaked out haha.

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind responses, to be honest I was somewhat nervous about posting it as I know the amount of ridicule I was risking, but again just to clarify the story further, I never said it was a UFO, it just had the hallmarks of the typical type of encounter I guess, not that we are actually sure what UFO's are anyway lol

I have pondered on my encounter a lot over the years and all it tends to do is give me a headache now, but it did open my eyes to there being things about our world we don't understand. I had considered maybe it was reflected / refracted light from the fog, but it was too defined and the movement rules it out it seems, a helicopter did come to mind as we regularly have RAF Sea King Helicopters traversing the area, but no sound. So nothing really stuck out as obvious. I know it wont really help but I have posted an image below of the exact location from Google Street View:

Capture.jpg

The image is facing in the direction I came from so NNW I think that would be. The light was covering pretty much the whole foreground of the image, from just below the X to around where the junction is with the little side road.

I stopped my bike just out of shot of the bottom of the image and this was the scene I saw in the foggy darkness looking back. The hedgerows were pretty much the same height, but the large tree was much smaller then. When the light moved and tracked the curve in the road, it is the slight right hand curve you can see in the road as it stretches off. It dimmed and moved off at speed at a point roughly where the tree is on the right hand side of the road in the background, although I don't recall that tree being there back then.

I know this doesn't help but just wanted to visually set the scene for anyone interested in my experience. I know nothing is obvious about the image but maybe I have missed something.

This is a reference map shot:

Capture2.jpg

Apologies for the crude marking but the highlighted ring is where the incident took place and where the above photo is taken from. You can see my training route too following the A165 Ganstead Lane North, turning into Longdales Lane past the golf course as I mentioned the road turning into Holmes Lane and then right in Bilton, following the B1238 back towards Hull, from where I intended to turn right onto the A165 and start again.... Although I went straight home instead lol.

I know it probably doesn't help but I just wanted to give a little supplementary info really. Like I said I don't know what it was but that is my story of how I became interested in this whole Unexplained Mysteries genre of investigation.