Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unexplained loud Popping noise

nerdoboy

This has happened to me twice. Once in 1997, and again last week, June 16, 2014. The first time the phenomena was heard by 2 people. Myself and a coworker in a small bedroom coverted into a video studio. The second time I was alone driving a Suburu backing out of the drivewway. The noise was exactly the same each time. It had made such an impression on me the first time that it was unmistakeable when I heard it the second time.

It was a very loud pop, not unlike a bursting balloon. It was so loud that is left a slight ringing in the ears. The sound came from above and behind each time. The first we both exclaimed "What the hell was that?" at the same time then we descibed what we heard to each other. I have no possible explanation I can think of. No accompanying phenomena like smells, flashing light, etc.

I woould sure appreciate hearing from anyone else with a shared experience.

- nerdoboy

Edited by nerdoboy
  • Thanks 1

Hello and Welcome to UM

What you are describing, is not much in great detail.

So ill try my best to explain..

Ok one was 1997 and the other June 2014, were these two occasion happened in the same location?

Did the sound come from the high up such as the sky?

So far it sounds like an main electrical outlet possibly just down the road, which blew out, when you heard it.

Did you bother to do your own investigation??

I've heard a loud popping, described exactly as you detailed it Nerdoboy.

Years ago I heard a loud pop and there was a faint yellow flash in the corner of the room. I was sitting in my room in front of the computer at the time. A minute later, there was an even louder "pop" and I saw a bright yellow orb that was a foot high off the floor and it was there for a few seconds. Ball lightning? No because it didn't happen in the sky but in my living room.

I heard another softer "pop" like the sound a bubble wrap makes, coming from near my bed one night. No lights.

What was it? Some kind of static energy, whether spirit or from the house.

• Like 2

Very odd. The fact you both heard it makes it hard to even make any suggestions. If only you had experienced it I would have said possibility it could have been something like Exploding Head Syndrome ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome ).

Maybe one of your joints 'popped', as I'm getting older I can jerk my head to the right and it makes a horrible loud pop/crack noise. Other people that hear it say I should see a doctor although I can't feel any pain or anything. Maybe it was an inadvertent joint pop? Possibly in your neck as it would seem much louder to you but still loud to someone sitting near you in a quiet environment. As it cold be painless then you might not realize your joints created the noise.

• 7 months later...

This has happened to me twice. Once in 1997, and again last week, June 16, 2014. The first time the phenomena was heard by 2 people. Myself and a coworker in a small bedroom coverted into a video studio. The second time I was alone driving a Suburu backing out of the drivewway. The noise was exactly the same each time. It had made such an impression on me the first time that it was unmistakeable when I heard it the second time.

It was a very loud pop, not unlike a bursting balloon. It was so loud that is left a slight ringing in the ears. The sound came from above and behind each time. The first we both exclaimed "What the hell was that?" at the same time then we descibed what we heard to each other. I have no possible explanation I can think of. No accompanying phenomena like smells, flashing light, etc.

- nerdoboy

Nerdoboy I just had this happen to me for the third time ...in my living room each time ...I thought it might be something electrical but all outlets and switches are fine ...no smells....and it sounded like it was in mid air very close to me just behind me ....so loud my son heard it over the phone...the other two times there were others who heard it as well and seemed to be from different spots in the room for he first to times...higher pitch than a balloon. I'm a retired contractor I can tell the difference between house settling / broken glass and what I have heard with witnesses. any other ideas would be appreciated ...I'd love to get to t the bottom of this one....its kinda freaking me out at this point.

• Like 1

Often people describe gunshots as popping sounds.

• Like 2

A bit of a worry that it only happened to you twice in 17 years.

It normally happens 8-20 times per day. link

• Haha 2

The fact that it was heard by multiple people makes it intriguing. Was it the exact same sound both times? Did it sound like it had a source more specific than "above and behind"? Were there any accompanying smells, sensations, or physical feelings?

• 4 months later...

I just had this happen here where I live. I was outside, wide awake, and only under the car port/awning. I thought I may have saw a flash of light just before the noise occured. It sounded just a little louder than a balloon bursting, and was about a good 15 feet away. Which was to my left from where I was facing, and sounded like it came from the corner of the fence in the neighbor's yard. Investigated, and looked for anything that resembled the remains of any balloon. Nothing.

We did just have a storm roll through a few hours ago, and the sun was just rising. Now I know this wouldn't be ball lightening, because of certain characteristics of ball lightening. This was mid air, maybe about 12 feet off the ground as well. I live in Central Alabama as well. I do know of potential possibilities. Ranging from certain technologies, to occult practices/metaphysical practices, to even possible simple scientific views on how and why. One thing anyone must remember, the human brain is a transmitter and receiver, and opperates under certain frequencies. Someone can use technology to project a thought, emotion, illusion of a sound, pain, etc. with technology. This also could have been an unexplainable sudden pocket of warm air, that expanded rapidly to create the sound. Only problem with the one person's theory in this thread, about the Exploding Head, we're all physically awake. However, there is metaphysical possibility.

My questions would be. What do you typically do day to day? Do you look into Consparicies, etc.? Do you explore the occult and metaphysical things? Are you highly spiritual, empathic, etc.? The thing is, what would link these noises to each other, would be day to day experiences.

I heard something like that last night, but I know what it was. A transformer blew out on the street next to mine. The dog and I both jumped about a foot in the air.

• 4 weeks later...

- nerdoboy

Nerdoboy,

I have experienced this exact noise and share your frustration. I see a lot of people replying that have not experienced hearing this noise and because of this, have no idea how to relate. I first heard it a few months after moving into a new apartment in a new town. The first time it woke my boyfriend and I up in the middle of the night. He quickly fell back asleep and I stayed awake expecting another POP to come, but I didn't until the next day. The next day it happened again in my room and it was so strange because it was as though it came our of thin air. A couple of weeks later it happen in my bedroom again and my sister and I heard it from the living room. We both just looked at each other and I said, "You heard that right? Thats the sound I heard before!" She said, "Yeah I heard it, but I don't know what the hell it is?" Then again, I heard it while I was home alone, I was standing in the kitchen and this time it cam from the center of the living room. I did not see or smell anything along with the noise. Its like a large baloon popping only much higher pitched or a light bulb blowing but much louder. It defintely sounds electrical.

I decided after hearing it a few times to do a little research, as I a spiritual individual and didnt want to jump to irrational conclusions. The only testimonies I could find were your's and maybe one or two others. All forums discussing this noise seem to fizzle out as no one has any idea what it could be. Maybe it is something that cannot be explained. Either way, one reply to your question that caught my attention by Lygophilos, asked, "What do you typically do day to day?" I am curious because if there is a connection between the individuals experiencing hearing this noise maybe there is hope we will find answers.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry for absense from this thread - It appears that i am not alone in hearing the "pop". To Truthseeker88 and Lygophilos what i do day to day is computer related. i am a motion graphics designer and web builder mostly. Am I spiritual? Yes. I have investigated many things and kept for myself the things that ring true to my Being. I cannot offer up an explanation to this phenom right now. I do like the fact that Truthseeker has had multiple experiences. If the phenom is connected to a "doorway" of some type it might be interesting to get an authentic read from a medium. So far there seems to be no negative effects for anyone who has experienced this so lets all enjoy the mystery.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I too hear this...was forced to make an account because of seeing some of the reply's. Ask More And I Will Tell You More. But i am a heavy thinker. I would love too check into this for now this...Ramarian will.

Nerodoy, what was your mind set at the time? Were you thinking any thoughts of certain types moods, motifs, etc...think our character at this time in William Shakespeare's stage of life but modern times...why did that light bulb over your, too minds & my nephew by relations head pop...

...Happy Thanks Giving BTW...

Honestly,

Ari

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

oh my gosh i cant believe this is happening to other people we thought we were alone but this same thing is happening to my husband and i the first time we heard it we were laying in bed and right below our tv well 4 ft away there was what sounded like a lady fingers firecracker go off we thought maybe a can of paint or hairspray something maybe exploded but there was nothing there this was about a week ago the second time was tonight my husband was in the back livingroom alone and he came to the bedroom saying did you hear it did you hear it ? it did it again i heard the popping noise and it was so loud you had to hear it ..wich i didnt hear this one but i did the first one . so what is it its obviously not in our heads because we heard the first one together so what is it ????? i hope someone can tell me

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit relieved to read that other people are experiencing this phenomenon. The first time we heard this it was 3:40AM 2 days ago, a loud popping sound as others have described like a balloon popping but louder. we both were awakened...we described sound like a Hugh rubber snapping. Our house is 10 months old and we thought house settling or something. Our son-in-law is a home builder, he didn't have a clue other than tile when separating from foundation can have a gunshot sound. OK...today, wife and I taking down Christmas tree in our bedroom, it was 1:30PM. sound again a few feet from us. It scared/startled us because it was so spooky like. Obviously it's not our imagination. We hope it's not electrical, although we noticed nothing but the loun pop, no smell, no air movement...nothing!

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I have been working to develop my spiritual ears and eyes and strengthen my connection to God and the universe. Along with spreading more light and love, I am looking for signs that am on the right path or not (especially when it comes to getting over a relationship). I took a nap this afternoon, but it was a very deep sleep that I haven't felt in a long time. I was still groggy 20 minutes after I woke up. I was still trying to wake up (thinking about clicking on the ex's dating profile) when I heard the sound of a LOUD balloon popping, above the night stand next to my bed. It was SO loud that my one ear was ringing a little afterwards. My daughter was down the hall and I asked her if she heard it and she said oh yes. There is no electrical running in that area. There was no smell or other phenomenon.

[in my case, I feel it was a sign from the heavens for me to "knock it off" like how you would clap loudly at a bad dog to startle them and get their attention, lol!]

PS: I did not click the profile.

Edited by Sw1738

• 4 weeks later...

I joined to comment on this thread because this is the only thing I could find that was similar to what I experienced a few months ago.

I had just got done chopping vegetables (or preparing food in some way) in my apartment kitchen and walked around the counter. Then I heard a high pitched snap or popping sound and saw a flash out of the corner of my eye. It was slightly behind me to my left and several feet in front of an outlet area.

I hadn't been using that outlet recently and never smelled anything from it before or since, so I don't feel like it was related to the outlet.. But it did have an electrical "feel" to it. If that makes sense. Always wondered what the heck that was, though.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I joined so I could share my experience just now. My husband and I were on the couch, just gone 11pm and watching tv, he was working on his laptop and I was doing needle felting. We were shocked when, out of nowhere, an extremely loud crack, like a balloon busting, but more electrical, almost a zap, rang through the room from the empty space above our (off) gas fireplace.

We checked everything in the room, there was no evidence, no smell, nothing. We checked outside, but the sound was clearly in the room above us. Not a light or fuse or in the roof. It was in the very air of the room. It was so close that we jumped!!

The only thing I can think of, after checking every other possibility is static electricity build up. I'd spent the past couple of hours furiously needle felting one of those Diaso kits with the synthetic wool. Is it possible that I was generating static? And that somehow that electricity arced into the air? I was also wearing a synthetic robe and synthetic blanket (sorry but it's a Wednesday night, no fancy stuff tonight!)

I have no other explanation, but there must be a rational, scientific reason this happened. Air doesn't just go bang for no reason, that defies physics. What do you think of the chance of static electricity causing this sound?

• Like 2

Spent about 30 minutes writing a decent post. Post did not stick, had to log back in without ever logging out.
..bah

• 2 weeks later...

I recently moved into this small 1 bedroom, 2 story condo. I have experienced the loud popping sound twice in 2 months. It's as loud, or louder than a firecracker and there is no electrical, gas or gun powder odor of any kind; electrical looks ok, but there are some cracked outlet covers that were here before I moved in. I think this apt has had pretty big turnover. I kind of had the creeps when I moved in & and promptly got sick (rare for me) - don't know if any of this is related. Sure is a startling sound and I wish I knew what in the heck it was/is/will be.

• 2 months later...

In Seattle area. I was on the phone at my computer desk earlier this evening, when I heard a loud, crisp "snap"...like a small firecracker went off behind me...sounded about two feet distance and slightly above my head. The person on the phone also heard something. And there is nothing in the room that's out of place, or in other parts of the house, that could have made the noise. Never happened to me before and I'm 66 yrs old.  Weird. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This happened to me yesterday. I was sitting on the couch, one cat at my feet, another one on the other side of the room on a chair. The pop was very loud and strange! It startled all of us. The cats didn't get up, but they were looking at the area where it sounded, between the coffee table and TV. Basically, in the center of the room, between all of us. No smells, no hair standing up in a prickly way. I wish my husband heard it, I think he wishes he did too, because he just asked me about it again. Which prompted me to look into it, and I found all of you!

• Like 2

I just joined up now to put my experience across about whatever this thing is. It happened just on half an hour ago, in my room. I was reading a book describing extra terrestrial contact in ancient times, Jim Marrs - Our Occulted History, on my bed, it was exactly 11pm when I leant over to stroke my cat at the end of my bed. That's when it happened, two loud pops/explosions coming from inside my bedroom to my left, about two seconds apart, the first pop/explosion sound stunned me and the second just freaked me out. I lay there for about 5 minutes wondering what the hell it was, then I looked around to try to find any cause but nothing was out of the ordinary, no smell, or light, nothing. This is really weird and it's reassuring to know others have experienced what I just heard.  

• Like 1