Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Clinton says she’s unlike the truly well off

questionmark

Hillary Rodham Clinton defended scrutiny on her and her husband’s personal wealth by contrasting herself in an interview published Sunday with other multimillionaires who are “truly well off.”

The comment immediately drew scorn from Republicans, who have highlighted a series of stumbles the former secretary of state and potential 2016 Democratic presidential candidate has made on her book tour this month when talking about her personal fortune and six-figure speaking fees.

In an interview with Britain's Guardian newspaper, Clinton was asked whether she could be a credible champion for fighting income inequality in the United States despite her wealth.

Read more

Well Ms. Clinton, we are aware that you have to retire to sleep under a bridge every night and don't know how to pay the car payments.... we feel so sorry for you...really :innocent:

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 6

Good luck not finding a politician who isn't a multi-millionaire. They don't give a crap about people like you and I.

Edited by andy4
  • Like 8

If the Clintons are not truly well off, who the heck is?

• Like 1

I just did some checking around the net. Hillary Clinton's net worth is estimated at 20 to 22 million. Bill Clinton's net worth is estimated to be from 77 to 80 million.

Right, she's not "truly well off". What a load of BS there.

Edited by Lilly
spelling
  • Like 4

...Meanwhile, there are people all across America living in Tent Cities.

These people make me sick.

• Like 3

Well there's "well off" and then there's "truly well off".

I'd say the likes of Paris "never having to work a day in her life" Hilton is truly well off, while the folks who worked for their squillions are "well off".

Honestly I didnt even expect here to say something that dumb. But I guess it justa reflection of how out of touch our politicians are getting.

• Like 2

Almost all politicians are Rich, or rather, "Well Off". And they don't have a clue what people forced to Rent living space, or forced to make payments on a old used car are going through.

Hillary is what, 66, now? I was reading an article about this the other day and she said that she did various jobs and had to struggle... when she and Bill were in college. So, that is like 45 years ago?

• Like 1

Hillary Rodham Clinton was upper middle class (her father owned a textile business). Bill Clinton did not come from money. Hillary attended Wellesley College and went to Law school at either Yale or Princeton (I know it wasn't Harvard). I seriously doubt the Clinton's did any 'struggling' after graduating law school.

I just checked, it was Yale.

Edited by Lilly
addition
  • Like 4

I just did some checking around the net. Hillary Clinton's net worth is estimated at 20 to 22 million. Bill Clinton's net worth is estimated to be from 77 to 80 million.

Right, she's not "truly well off". What a load of BS there.

By contrasting herself with her others with her husband's wealth, she must think that 77 to 80 mil is "truly well off"? Or would she be saying that 97 million to 102 million isn't truly well off? What a terribly clumsy attempt at trying to connect with voters.

Edited by Yamato
  • Like 1

I guess a net worth of only 100 million doesn't quite cut it if one's rubbing shoulders with billionaires. But, to be so out of touch with reality as to think only billionaires are 'well off" is utterly ridiculous.

Most people work all their lives and never even see 1 million in their 401Ks. The elite who govern us know this all too well, to pretend otherwise is disgusting IMO.

• Like 3

I guess this is one cause, regardless of politics, we can all agree on.

The Clintons are loaded.

• Like 1

[media=]

[/media]

This country is going to hell because people put pointless qualifications above actual qualifications and don't take the time to study a candidate.

I remember people saying they were gonna vote for Bush over Gore because you could have a beer with Bush. I don't get it. I want my President to be better than me, not like me.

Edited by Thelaw1

Well, the candidates from the other side of the aisle (Republicans) are rich as well (ex, Romney's net worth was estimated at 350 million).

Edited by Lilly
oops!
  • Like 1

Well, the candidates from the other side of the aisle ® are rich as well (ex, Romney's net worth was estimated at 350 million).

The problem here is not being rich ('cause if you are not you most probably will not get beyond mayor of Dumptown, pop 1200), it is pretending not to be to pretend that you actually understand what it feels like not knowing where the next meal comes from or of the fear that a simple misstep ends you under bankruptcy protection to make yoursel advocate of those living precariously.

I find it revolting... no matter who does it.

• Like 5

The problem here is not being rich ('cause if you are not you most probably will not get beyond mayor of Dumptown, pop 1200), it is pretending not to be to pretend that you actually understand what it feels like not knowing where the next meal comes from or of the fear that a simple misstep ends you under bankruptcy protection to make yoursel advocate of those living precariously.

I find it revolting... no matter who does it.

Exactly.

Do those politicians understand that everytime gas goes up, or food prices skyrocket, we are all effectively taking a pay cut?

Do they have any clue what it's like to worry if I can afford to help out my kids go to college, or ever retire?

I'm extremely lucky to not have to worry about where my next meal will come from, and I have been fortunate to always have a place to sleep, but I certainly don't go around pretending I can truly understand those who don't.

This is just as revolting as Mitt Romney's 47% comment.

These people are seriously out of touch.

• Like 1

Breathtakingly out touch.

• Like 2

Is it wrong to wish bad things happen to bad people?

• Like 2

Is it wrong to wish bad things happen to bad people?

Yes, but we all do it. Yup, Out of Touch... People who have always had more than enough money really can't understand .. the rest of us.

Or how impossible it's becoming to maintain ourselves . Our system is out of whack.

* i think the technical term is Screwywompus

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

College buddy of mine was the son of a retired general who was also a current professor at the university. His mom also worked at the university. Family brought in a little over $200,000/yr. He swore up and down that he was middle class and honestly couldn't understand why his friends all groaned when he claimed that.

I think people just get used to a certain lifestyle and begin to think that it is the lifestyle they live is the American "average". And they truly don't understand what it's like in other peoples shoes.

• Like 1

College buddy of mine was the son of a retired general who was also a current professor at the university. His mom also worked at the university. Family brought in a little over $200,000/yr. He swore up and down that he was middle class and honestly couldn't understand why his friends all groaned when he claimed that.

I think people just get used to a certain lifestyle and begin to think that it is the lifestyle they live is the American "average". And they truly don't understand what it's like in other peoples shoes.

I'm tempted to say that if your two income house hold brought in 200k these days you may have enough to last you the rest of your life if you retire comfortably at 65 years old. In that sense it could be considered upper middle class.