Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shadow people

UM-Bot

Story submission by: Troublehalf Location: Oxfordshire, England

I've recounted this story many times in my life, and while most people listen with interest, even half-heartedly, the end result is always the same "Yeah, right". When I was about 18 months old, my family moved from their house and into the one I've lived in for the rest of my life. Funnily enou...

Read More: http://www.unexplain...4/shadow-people

• Like 1

Ive experienced this for 12 years now, ever since I was 12. No one believes me, my mom doesnt want to believe me, she doesnt even want to listen to what I have to say. I know she has experienced this too when she was younger, because she has told me stories about seeing things when she was 17. She said that Ill grow out of it, (im 24 now lol.) I just have gotten used to it. It always happens when I go to bed though, I wake up with sleep paralysis and then I see the shadow people, they either stand at the end of my bed or hang from my ceiling and crawl around it and look at me. Ive even had them crawl on top of me and just stare at me, no more than 2 inches from my face. I have seen their eyes, black as black can be. Its scary. I have even experienced this in a hospital. I was staying at a hospial with my grandma when she was very sick. There was a recliner in her room so I slept on that, well at exactly 3am, (I could see the clock because the door was open just a little bit so that some light could come into the room.) I woke up and I couldnt move, the only thing I could move were my eyes and something told me to look at the corner of the room near the end of my grandmas bed. There was a chair there, and in that chair sat a black hooded figure, I couldnt see its face, but it still scared me. I looked at it for a few mins while trying to get myself to move, but I couldnt, then finally it spoke, it said in a very deep voice, deeper than any voice ive ever heard, "get the hell out of here!" and right after that, I was able to move. I still experience this, not as often as I used too, but Id say at least 10 times a month. It used to be every night or every other night.

• Like 1

I have to agree with you ... nobody listens and they just think I'm crazy or something but I know what I saw. It started happening when I was 7 years old and now that I'm 15 and still talking about them my whole family thought they would be helping me if I saw a therapist about it, but they made it worse. This one night i decided to record myself sleeping in case the Smokey shadow person came by that night but i guess he/it somehow knew i was trying to get on tape and while i was sleeping it turned it off somehow and when I tried to show it to my mom and dad the screen was just black and now my therapist started thinking that i was crazy too (which is what a therapist shouldn't say to a patient). So I tried telling my friends at school but they thought I lost my mind or something and they told their friends what I said to them and now everyone thinks of me as the crazy girl that they go to school with and don't want to get close to me ... they thought my so called "illness" was very contagious. A couple months passed by and now I am seeing a different therapist and when ever I wake up in the morning I ask my parents if I could stay home rather than go to school cause everyone I go to school with calls me a bunch of names that I don't like so I use my "illness" as an advantage and get back at them for teasing me all the time.

• Like 1

Its sleep paralysis its very common and any therapist should be able to recognise what you are suffering.You are not crazy its a very common thing that happens to some people more frequently than others

• Like 2

I have been told that sometimes shadow people sightings go along with personality changes. This is probably a different kind than what you all have gone through.

I used to see a shadow to at my old house. it always passed outside my room going from the left to the right. once i had a friend over and he saw it too. my sister saw it once exactly behind her when she was vacuuming. after we moved (5 years now) i haven't had another expirience except the first night at my new house. the curtain on my room was closed and when i woke up i was open. after that nothing.

• 3 years later...

Posted Wednesday at 03:13 PM Post #5

I had this experience some a year and a half ago: I was sitting on my bed edge, thinking about nothing, except being somewhat pensive; then from the corner of my eyes I seemed to see a figure like a person covered in a cape with the hood on his head, he appeared in front of me to the right, and moving with steps toward the glass window which was closed.

I turned my head toward him and shouted softly, Hey!

He did not stop, and didn't look back at me.

He went through the glass window which leads to a balcony on a lower level.

I was not afraid at all, but curious, and saying to myself: Perhaps he might come over again, and we could have a talk, even better, he could come often and we could talk a lot.

The shadow person never returned though.

Right away I searched the internet for similar experiences, and found plenty of such reports from other people.

Some report that they have recurring sights of such a shadow figure.

What do you say about my experience.

Sorry for the repetition, I am still not accustomed to the formatting usages here.

Now in regard to Shadow People, as they are not dangerous at all, as far as I have read about them so far, I don't mind having some of them at least one visiting me regularly, for I love to talk with them - as also I like to talk with folks here, in particular folks who will talk seriously, not like some persons in web forums who are into flippancies all the time, can't understand what these guys are after with joining a web forum.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get them to visit, please just post them here in this thread, okay?

Dear readers of this thread, do you have any desire at all to find out from people who have experienced sighting of shadow people, and also experiences of all kinds of what are called paranormal occurrences, the desire namely that such people with such experiences take to the task to seek interaction with any such entity at all, like for example, a shadow entity, in order to find out how to conclude to directions for other people to follow, in order to also bring up the presence of for example a shadow entity.

This means that the entity of concern like a shadow 'person' or thing is capable of interacting with a human person, like you and me.

Right now I can mention many such entities which are known to people of the Western world, but in the rest of mankind, they have also corresponding entities.

Such entities are in the West, God of the Christian faith or the Islamic faith or the Judaic faith.

Next, all sorts of entities which are taken to be antagonistic to God: like Satan, or the Devil, or fallen angels, or also demons, and all such entities.

Then all sorts of what we might call monsters, like dracula vampires, werewolves, half humans with the head and upper torso for a body, their specialty is they travel in space at night - you get the picture.

From my part, I have been thinking about all these entities, and my conclusion is that all such experiences from our part, namely, you and me, they seem to be not accessible to us to really get them to interact with us, so that we get to also bring them in, into our world, like we bring in mosquitoes and crocodiles into our world.

So, what are they 'good' for if we cannot up to the present, no matter that mankind has been experiencing their presence since the dawn of man's conscious intelligence?

I have the thought that perhaps we should deal with them as entertainment or amusement of the frightening kinds?

What about God, in concept as first and foremost the creator cause of everything with a beginning?

That is my concept of God, and as I can reason and I do observe all kinds of things that do exist outside and independent of our mind, I am certain that God exists, in concept as first and foremost the creator cause of everything with a beginning.

Now, at this point atheists will be at least unhappy with me, because for them there are no gods, goddesses, deities, divinities, etc.

However, I also have studied atheists' way of thinking, and my conclusion is that they don't think at all, not on grounds of truths, facts, logic, and the best thoughts of mankind from since the dawn of man's conscious intelligence.

What they feel to be arguments are no arguments at all, but all ways and means of evasiveness from the question itself of whether God exists or not.

The trouble is that to my knowledge and also with myself personally, I have not succeeded to interact with God, even though I am certain that He is the creator cause of everything with a beginning, wherefore he must be intelligent and yes possessed of desire to interact with us humans.

I will end this message now, but to everyone with experiences of occurrences like shadow people, if you have succeeded to communicate with them, please tell us about them, i.e., the experiences, okay?

If it would be that these things were not experienced only when people were lying in bed, then sleep paralysis would be an easy explanation. 

I had a shadow person experience I didn't tell my significant other about, purposely. It was a kind of "experiment." And then a night or two later, he had a similar experience and described it to me. He described it just as I had seen it. Over 6 ft. tall, blacker than the dark room around it, with no discernible facial features. He said he reached out his hand to touch it and that it dissipated like smoke. 

Since he experienced essentially the same thing I did, hypnagogia doesn't really cut it, at least not entirely. 

There is some external aspect to at least some of this phenomena. Now, it can be controlled by affecting the psyche, so I believe it all originates there. Somehow, particular people can project it outward onto reality. It's still not "real" in the same sense, though. It's dependent. 

I was able to stop all the phenomena for both of us by affecting my own psyche with the LBRP. No more sleep paralysis for anyone. No more hypnagogia or disembodied voices or poltergeist type activity. So all of this stuff, even the stuff that people claim is sleep-related...you can get a handle on it. 

• Like 1

Dear ChaosRose, is that experience from you and your partner causing any inconvenience for you each individually or to your mutual relationship, so that you need not have to live with it if you can get rid of such an experience?

For example, when you are living beside another home which is very noisy, I guess that kind of an experience is not at all you have to live with, so you can do without it by moving away.

From my part, as I don't see any harm whatsoever with your shadow persons, that should be an enriching experience, and I will welcome it when it does occur with me.

You see, when I was very young perhaps four or five years old, I noticed that I could prepare beforehand what dreams I would want to have when I fall asleep, and it worked for me; that 'trick' didn't last long though, too bad.

Looking back I always tell myself, with that kind of a trick I need not have to see movies away from home, or watch boring tv programs at home.

That is the peculiar feature of all such paranormal experiences, they don't either help us to succeed in for example a business undertaking.

That is why I also think that they are good just the same for entertainment i.e. amusement.

But there are also such experiences which do really change people from being bad to being good; there are plenty of examples of that sort, like near death experience.

Back to your and your partner's experience with shadow persons, I like to get my shadow person to keep me company, in particular when I need company.

Oh no, you can't move away from it. We carry our psyche around with us. It's why people can't move to escape a haunting. It's not houses that are haunted, it's people. 

If you're experiencing shadow people, it's a symptom that something is out of balance. 

You have to take the reins back from your subconscious. 

We don't have any issues with phenomena anymore. I have eradicated all of it. 

A bedroom invader isn't nice, even if it is produced by the psyche. Our subconscious doesn't always have our best interests at heart, and whatever we pull from our psyche, we may use to punish ourselves or those around us. 

Kick it to the curb. 

I don't know if what I've seen is the exact same type thing or not but, from time two time I would see a shadow shape walking/moving from the end of the hall into my bedroom at night. I would be watching tv and catch movement and look over to it. 

It wasn't the size of the person but more like a small dog or cat. Was it a shadow cat thing who knows. What ever it was it was darker than the surrounding area around it. 

On a side note I had a cat before that though I hung the moon  before I lost him as in he is no longer with us. Great cat loved to go to 7/11 with me inside in my arms a people watch. He also thought he could drive. Both paws on the top of the wheel and looking straight out windshield. It would freak people out passing beside us. I miss that cat but I had a little stray kitten show up on the back deck a year later and she's still with me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Oh no, you can't move away from it. We carry our psyche around with us. It's why people can't move to escape a haunting. It's not houses that are haunted, it's people. 

So, you are still getting the experience of your shadow person occurring; but what, do you or don't you get to interact with it at all?

I had one experience of a shadow person but never got to interact with it at all, and the experience has not occurred again; though I tell the shadow person to just come over at his convenience - how? Like this, addressing him though he's not visible: "Sir, if you will, please appear again." No, it’s not working at all.

In fact when I noticed his quick presence passing out through the window, and I called out to him, Hey, he did not look back to me.

Now I have this thought, that as with our body we have a lot of living things making their home in us; right now I have an etch in my back side which I attribute to some microbe trying to suck some blood or juice from me, and you know what I do with such freeloaders, I get a towel and wet it in plain water, and wipe the body spot wet with the wet towel, that takes care of the poor freeloader.

Tell you what, if you get that kind of an experience like what I describe about a microbe freeloader, no need to apply anti itch ointment or liquid whatever, just wet that spot with water from a wet towel.

Now, back to shadow people, they could be coming from our consciousness, because we are conscious when they occur, and not from outside our consciousness.

What about the experience of a dream, is that in our consciousness or not? If not then how do we experience the dream?

The experience of dreams is a consciousness of another kind, is that so? Certainly, for if we are not conscious at all how in the dream episode do we experience the dream at all, as to wake out from it into the what we might call consciousness of the world outside of the dream world.

Where am I going?

Here is where I am going, I think there are also entities inhabiting our consciousness, and they can and do come out and we get to witness them, but regularly they don't interact with us.

That shadow person I experienced sighting, it must have come out from my consciousness, and not from outside my consciousness, though it appears to be separate from me, and moving in front of me to the right toward the window and passing out through it, not even bothering to turn his glance to me as I called out Hey!

You say something very interesting, that we carry our psyche all the time with us, I will add that the psyche we carry around with us, it is the home of a lot of paranormal entities like shadow persons and even demons, whatever else; as also we carry all kinds of biological things living in us, in our body all the time.

On 9/17/2017 at 6:30 AM, oslove said:

Sorry for the repetition, I am still not accustomed to the formatting usages here.

Welcome to UM,

Friendly suggestion; check the dates of the posts before you reply, and click on the members names to see when they were last active on the forums.

Some might have active email alerts, but in this case 'jawjalou' from post #5 hasn't been online since July 2014.

I like to get your reactions to my idea of three kinds of existence with us humans who have this peculiar property of consciousness, it is a very crucially critically essential property that I would consider it the essence of our existence.

Tell me, when you get unconscious but still breathing, like say in a comatose state, aren't you no longer existing? perhaps only vegetating in a way but worse than plants which do not it seems to possess at least not our kind of consciousness.

What are the three kinds or maybe a better word would be levels, of existence with us humans?

In order of ascending complexity:

1. The physical existence, where we depend on gravity to get ourselves properly kept down on the earth's surface instead of free-falling in space.

2. The biological existence, that is common with plants and all kinds of living things. We all living things reproduce, and it seems that living has one purpose, to reproduce our own kind: so that I would surmise that to live is to ultimately reproduce our own kind, that means that a human who fails to reproduce has missed his destiny.

3. The conscious existence, perhaps a better word could be psychical, so the psychical existence of man, which consists of his consciousness, that makes man altogether different from all things not human.

It is on the level of our consciousness that we have access to paranormal phenomena. Here is where we could get in touch with other paranormal beings, which however it appears that these don't have the first two levels of existence.

That should explain if we will, why we want to maintain that death is not all loss of existence, for there is the consciousness which still survives.

I read somewhere that in the British Royal Society for the Investigation of the Paranormal, something like that in name, they have enough documentation to draw the conclusion that there is survival of consciousness after death.

The trouble is that the archives of that society are not accessible in the net, not freely if I know from my brief search.

Now, with these three levels of existence, we have an explanation for shadow people, on the third level.

What do you dear colleagues here say?

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:55 AM, Invisig0th said:

I'm glad this thread was revived. Allows me to throw up this classic:

It's two hours. Can you give us a synopsis so we can judge our interest level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

It's two hours. Can you give us a synopsis so we can judge our interest level. 

Have you listened to Art Bell before? If so, you know what to expect. 

If not, Art Bell was a legendary late night radio jockey, known for his show Coast to Coast AM. He would have on various guests to discuss the paranormal, and would also take calls of listeners reporting their own paranormal experiences. 

I believe, although I'm not positive, that the genesis of 'Shadow People' is in fact on Coast to Coast. 

The video is worth a listen. It's like a podcast. Just throw it on and clean your house or something.

• Like 1

I am in the Philippines, we don't have that kind of a program on radio here.

In regard to video and audio graphics, you see it is best that we get folks who want people to view their graphics, to transcribe their voice into written language, that will be most convenient and effective for getting people to comprehend what their video and audio are all about.

Now, with shadow persons, actually I have had three experiences of, but I only mention that one which occurred in my room while I sat on my bed edge.

The other occurrence was when I was coming down the stairs and witnessed on the opposite wall what seemed to be three persons, one a child, their shadows were moving on the wall until they got to the corner and disappeared.

I didn't call out to them at all, I just looked at them and tried to imagine what could have been the explanation for the shadow of three persons - telling myself it could be some trick of light and darkness that is natural, only how and where do the light and darkness come from and interact as to produce the shadows on the wall.

The other kind of shadows are what I have seen now and then of shadow moving from the bottom edge of the tv, moving into the screen as to cast a shadow on the scene being portrayed on the screen.

Like this: The scene is in a bright sun day and there are people shown on the screen like in a movie, then this shadow moves up into the screen, and I get the idea that in filming the movie the camera crew must have caused the shadow from one of the crew to cast his shadow on the ground of the people portrayed on the scene, but the editing people did not retouch the scene to get rid of the shadow.

Now, back to my idea of the three levels of existence with us humans: namely, physical, biological, and paranormal which I would call psychical, I say elsewhere time and again, that as paranormal phenomena don't harm us and also neither benefit us like helping us bet on the winning number in a lottery, at least they are entertainment for us i.e. amusement.

I think I have to revise that idea, and I am reading about researchers who are into employment of modern technology to get to interact with paranormal characters.