Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

5 Reasons That Make It Clear We Are Not Alone

Sweetpumper

One of the most popular questions today is “are we alone in the universe?” Believe it or not, you’re in the minority if you believe that absolutely no intelligent life exists in the universe. In the United States alone, at least half of all Americans say that we’re not alone in the universe. Fifty percent of Americans already believe that there is some form of life on other planets, while only seventeen percent think that there isn’t. A quarter of Americans believe that intelligent extraterrestrial visitors have already come to Earth and have been doing so for a long time.

Cont:

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2014/06/21/5-reasons-make-clear-alone-universe/

• "The article contains information about not being alone 'n stuff. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such."
  • "Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, SP does not represent, warrant, undertake or guarantee ... that the information in the newsletter is correct, accurate, complete or non-misleading."
  • "SP will not be liable to you in respect of any special, indirect or consequential loss or damage."
  • "If a section of this disclaimer is determined by any court or other competent authority to be unlawful and/or unenforceable, the other sections of this disclaimer continue in effect."

• Like 5

I think most here would agree with that, although where the Skeptics of course would differ would be with the quarter who believe that the extraterrestrials have been visiting. i have no opinion one way or the other, of course. :innocent:

Edited by Admiral Rhubarb
  • Like 2

I'm unable to view the link due to being at work, though I am curious about these 5 reasons. If possible could someone copy paste unless it's too long?

1. The size of the universe.

How big does the universe have to be to have two planets with life on it? No one knows.

2. Whistle Blowers.

Yep, they've seen aliens running around and caused all those scandals which never happened because they're liars.

3. The Evidence of UFO's.

Yes, false radar returns and misidentifications are evidence of UFO's. The article, like all UFO articles, simply recycles UFOlogy's Greatest Hits from the past few decades, most of which have been explained.

4. Mass Mainstream Media Attention.

Yessir, you can't go to the CNN web site without a new revelation about alien life every day. Oh, I just checked and couldn't find anything since the UFO report at O'Hare from over eight years ago. Not exactly Watergate coverage.

5. Personal Experience and Video Footage.

Isn't this the same as #3? Meaning worthless?

• Like 7

I'm unable to view the link due to being at work, though I am curious about these 5 reasons. If possible could someone copy paste unless it's too long?

The 5 Reasons given are:

1. The Size of the Universe

2. Whistle Blowers

3: The Evidence of UFOs

4. Mass Mainstream Media Attention

5. Personal Experience and Video Footage

None of the reasons make it clear...that we are not alone at all. You will see I bolded point 1. I agree, as do millions of others, that life most probably exists elsewhere... but there is nothing to suggest its a fact.. Points 2-5 are forever being argued over in forums just like this, and he hasn't presented anything NEW...that anyone here couldn't know about just by reading the threads

Anyway here is the source of the OP's link, it may work for you

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/06/20/5-reasons-why-everybody-knows-we-are-not-alone-in-the-universe/

• Like 7

The article offers some good circumstantial and anecdotal evidence. That said, such evidence just isn't definitive. So, while I can say it's quite possible that ETs have scoped us out in their UFOs, it's far from being factual. What we need is Hazzard's famous exhibit "A" (a alien space craft or an ET).

• Like 5

It's WAY too long but here are the five: size of the universe, increasing numbers of accredited whistleblowers, physical evidence, mass mainstream media attention to the issue and personal anecdotes and video footage.

The 5 Reasons given are:

1. The Size of the Universe

2. Whistle Blowers

3: The Evidence of UFOs

4. Mass Mainstream Media Attention

5. Personal Experience and Video Footage

None of the reasons make it clear...that we are not alone at all. You will see I bolded point 1. I agree, as do millions of others, that life most probably exists elsewhere... but there is nothing to suggest its a fact.. Points 2-5 are forever being argued over in forums just like this, and he hasn't presented anything NEW...that anyone here couldn't know about just by reading the threads

Anyway here is the source of the OP's link, it may work for you

http://www.collectiv...n-the-universe/

Thanks for everyone who psoted the reasons, and I completely agree that only #1 has any merit whatsoever. I think it is mathematically impossible for their not to be some form of life elsewhere in the universe, however whether or not we will ever find said life or whether that life will be intelligent I guess only time will tell.

• Like 3

For the most part the article regurgitates the likes of Hellyer and Mitchell,neither of which can prove their claims,then on to the dreaded Greer and the National Press Club event which we discussed here recently.The Mexican Air Force video that turned out to be oil platform burn off flares..

It seems that the believers are in a rut and just as the writer of this article proves all we're getting for evidence is repetition of the same old stories,no wonder ufology is dead on its feet

• Like 6

I think it is mathematically impossible for their not to be some form of life elsewhere in the universe,

No, we don't have all the values for all of the variables so there is no mathematical way to determine if it's impossible.

• Like 3

No, we don't have all the values for all of the variables so there is no mathematical way to determine if it's impossible.

Touche, well then to reword my earlier statement, In my humble opinion I think it is damned near impossible for there not to be some kind of life out there in the universe besides what we know here on Earth. Just my opinion though! :tu:

• Like 2

Due to the (reason no 1 ) size of the Universe, it would be extremely frightening to think that we humans are the only " intelligent " beings out here. Surely we are not the most intelligent beings? considering we are now becoming more and more reliant on technology and the intelligent ones are becoming few and far between.

Example:

The chances of there not being intelligent life in the Universe, would be like England being the only decent team in the World cup.

• Like 4

I believe there is life on other planets. I won't go as far as saying there is intelligent life out there. I certainly don't believe they have been and are visiting us.

• Like 1

QUOTE-

5 Reasons That Make It Clear We

Are Not Alone

(for a given value of 'clear').....

Touche, well then to reword my earlier statement, In my humble opinion I think it is damned near impossible for there not to be some kind of life out there in the universe besides what we know here on Earth. Just my opinion though! :tu:

That's kind of like someone asking if there will be a winner in this week's Powerball and saying "It's damned near impossible not to have a winner! Look at how many tickets were sold!" But you can still not have a winner no matter how tickets you sell. In fact you could sell an infinite number of Powerball tickets and still not have a winner. Life might be like that.

When people ask me about this, I say I don't know. Then I usually get something like, "What do you mean you don't know??? How can an educated person not have any clue about the possibility of extraterrestrial life???"

Apparently I'm supposed to have an opinion on something that I have absolutely no information about otherwise I'm an idiot. This article did a good job of showing what people are basing their opinion on.

• Like 1

That's kind of like someone asking if there will be a winner in this week's Powerball and saying "It's damned near impossible not to have a winner! Look at how many tickets were sold!" But you can still not have a winner no matter how tickets you sell. In fact you could sell an infinite number of Powerball tickets and still not have a winner. Life might be like that.

When people ask me about this, I say I don't know. Then I usually get something like, "What do you mean you don't know??? How can an educated person not have any clue about the possibility of extraterrestrial life???"

Apparently I'm supposed to have an opinion on something that I have absolutely no information about otherwise I'm an idiot. This article did a good job of showing what people are basing their opinion on.

However people regularly win the lottery, so i'm not sure I understand the comparison, and as I said it's merely my opinion. I'm not even going to try to act like I know that there's life out there somewhere, intelligent or not because no one knows for sure, however i'm brave enough to say that I think there's a good possibility that it does. The fact you do not share this sentiment is of no concern to me, it is merely your opinion and you are entitled to it.

• Like 1

..A quarter of Americans believe that intelligent extraterrestrial visitors have already come to Earth and have been doing so for a long time.....

Yeah, but Americans believe all SORTS of things.

In a recent survey, 29% believe that cloud computing involves actual clouds. (and 50% thought that a storm could stop it from working).

18% believe that the sun orbits around the earth.

And around 99% think that the Universe revolves around the USA !!!

(OK.. I made that last one up... )

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 3

A paraphrased quote from the Movie Contact (based on the book by Carl Sagan)

It would be an awful waste of space if there wasn't life out there.

• Like 4

Due to the (reason no 1 ) size of the Universe, it would be extremely frightening to think that we humans are the only " intelligent " beings out here. Surely we are not the most intelligent beings? considering we are now becoming more and more reliant on technology and the intelligent ones are becoming few and far between.

Example:

The chances of there not being intelligent life in the Universe, would be like England being the only decent team in the World cup.

Isaac Asimov said "there are two options, either we're alone in the universe or we aren't. Either is possible and both are terrifying".

• Like 7

However people regularly win the lottery, so i'm not sure I understand the comparison,

But people regularly do not win the lottery some weeks even with millions of tickets sold. Millions! How could that be possible? Similarly it's possible that the universe goes periods without any life at all. Perhaps it did before there was life on Earth. Perhaps in a billion more years the universe will go back to being lifeless.

Earth could be the one planet in the history of the universe that overcame extremely unfavorable odds. The more I learn about the processes of life and how millions of factors had to be absolutely perfect for life to exist here for a significant amount of time, the less likely I think that any other planet could have been as lucky. I doubt that one in four trillion planets could have been as lucky.

• Like 4

A paraphrased quote from the Movie Contact (based on the book by Carl Sagan)

It would be an awful waste of space if there wasn't life out there.

Sagan had a spiritual belief that the only reason the universe exists is to create life. Few scientists share this belief.

• Like 1

Yeah, but Americans believe all SORTS of things.

In a recent survey, 29% believe that cloud computing involves actual clouds. (and 50% thought that a storm could stop it from working).

18% believe that the sun orbits around the earth.

And around 99% think that the Universe revolves around the USA !!!

(OK.. I made that last one up... )

You can make statistics say whatever you want them to.

77% of all people know that.........

• Like 1

The article states "we are not alone" based on some assumptions and appeals to authority, again Edgar Mitchell is being quoted out of context, but lets face it, it;s trying to say Aliens visit Earth, yet point No 1 goes against that. The Size of the Universe. The article in no way tries to explain just how unimaginably big the Universe actually is, but relies on Sci Fi pop culture for people to assume that "Advanced Aliens" have overcome this problem. Regurgitated nonsense.

Has our Museum curator, come mathematician come architect taken on Journalism? It's about as factual and credulous as one of his posts.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 5

I know were not alone ! My phone is always ringing ! :tu:

• Like 2