Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New habitable extrasolar planet discovered

UM-Bot

Located 16 light years away, Gliese 832c has been identified as one of the best places to look for life.

Discovered by Robert A Wittenbyer from the University of New South Wales, the new planet is thought to have a mass five times that of the Earth and orbits its parent red dwarf star once every 36 days.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/268397/new-habitable-extrasolar-planet-discovered

• Like 2

Is there away to figure out the chemical make up extrasolar planets as yet?

living in Britain, where Weather is a national obsession, i can't help but wonder,- what will the weather be like on these rapidly spinning (presumably) temperate worlds?

if they're anything like life in the Pennines, they'll consider Gortex® one of their greatest achievements.....

• Like 1

itrestng

You mean "interesting"?

If you're going do the 'one word thing' at least put in a little bit of effort.

• Like 2

You mean "interesting"?

If you're going do the 'one word thing' at least put in a little bit of effort.

jeez.., and i thought I was a pedant....

(did you spot it..?)

;-)

1,2,3, dibs on Gliese 832c! You wanna habbitate it, youse gots to come to me and make me a very jolly offer, bros.

jeez.., and i thought I was a pedant....

(did you spot it..?)

;-)

*crash* Letters appear to be dropping right and left!

Does this planet make me look fat?

Harte

Very cool.i bet thete is some kind of life on this planet

How much do I weigh on a planet with five times earth mass? I guess not knowing the radius I can't calculate it, but I can assume pretty damn heavy.

Five times as much, dude.

Thus my joke.

Harte

• Like 2

If humans ever get there n with no other advance beings around, it be war again amongst ourselves. Reason: All vying for territory

Out of these 1700+ exoplanets that have been cataloged i wonder if there are any that are remotely like each other or is each planet a whole new species in its own right?

... i wonder if there are any that are remotely like each other or is each planet a whole new species in its own right?

A species is a biological classification of plants or animals, more specific than a genus. Planets are not alive, therefore planets are not members of any 'species'.

• Like 3

If humans ever get there n with no other advance beings around, it be war again amongst ourselves. Reason: All vying for territory

At 5 g's that would be a pretty sluggish war there.

Harte

• Like 1

Out of these 1700+ exoplanets that have been cataloged i wonder if there are any that are remotely like each other or is each planet a whole new species in its own right?

"Remotely like each other" ia a hugely subjective phrase and thus virtually meaningless. Is Mars remotely like Earth? Is Saturn remotely like Jupiter? It depends entirely on the criteria you impose.

Planets do fall into several types depending on size and composition, for example:

• Dwarf Planets
  • Terrestrial (rocky) Planets
  • Super-Earths
  • Mini-Neptunes,
  • Gas Dwarfs
  • Mega-Earths
  • Ice Giants
  • Gas Giants
  • Super-Jupiters

Planets in each group are likely to share similarities with other planets in the same group, however there will be differences as well. Each planet will be unique.

Your question is as meaningless as asking "are there human beings that are remotely alike?" Unless you specify what it is that you are measuring to determine similarity/difference there is no way to correctly answer the question.

• Like 2

Well this is cool, but could a red dwarf star produce what is vital for live as we know it?

Well this is cool, but could a red dwarf star produce what is vital for live as we know it?

I think the answer is definitely yes, and that the most common form of life, (in our milky way), would be found in the Red dwarf systems simply because they are by far the most common sun type. Perhaps they might even become habitable themselves once they cool down sufficiently, you know in a few trillion years or more :lol:

You might find this link interesting. ( some great graphics :tu: )

...An international team have discovered eight more planets in our local neighbourhood of the Galaxy, at least three of which are potentially habitable. What’s more, the finds lead them to believe that most if not all red dwarf stars have planets in orbit around them...

http://www.sen.com/news/habitable-planets-common-around-red-dwarf-stars

Here is a quizz, i took it to find out what i didnt know i already knew about the life cycle of stars. lol. my score...5/9...see how you go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/quiz/q10273836

• Like 1

Great find, although it does bemuse me how they declare planets with Earth like atmospheres are suitable for life, perhaps similar to our own, but as our own earth has proved life thrives in places our scientists previously insisted it was impossible for life to be present. I think it is fair to say that we are 'more likely to find life developing in similar ways to that which appears on the Earth', but not really the ONLY place capable of supporting life.

Sorry if that comes across as cynical, not my intention, but without knowing every type of possible life there is in the universe it is impossible to know where life would thrive and in what form. Although I agree if we are to progress with interplanetary studies of other worlds, then of course we are going to stick to what we know, and how life developed here, so yes, given the resources necessary and the cost, of course, they will look at something closer to our own planetary body.

I just disagreed with the 'top most likely' part lol. Not a flame just a bit of an observation, I am after all in no way qualified to be able to comment on planetary science.

I think the answer is definitely yes,

You never learn do you? How many times do you have to have explained to you that science is not about just making up the first thing that comes into your head?

Once again you are giving definite answers to subjects you know absolutely nothing about.

There are experts in this field that aren't clueless individuals making wild guesses and do you know what... they aren't sure.

There are very good reasons to think that the habitable zones of red dwarfs may be hostile to life and if you stopped guessing and started learning you might have known that.

For those that do want to learn I suggest you ignore taniwha (he just makes stuff up) and follow these links, they will take you to articles written by people that aren't embarrassingly inept in their scientific knowledge.

Perhaps they might even become habitable themselves once they cool down sufficiently, you know in a few trillion years or more :lol:

I hope the smilie you put after this means you are joking. The problem is that you post so much steaming male bovine excrement in this section it is difficult to know for sure.