Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Georgia Hot Car Death

Duelix

This guys did a google search on how long it takes a dog to die in a hot car.the cops found it on his work pc.

They really need to stick a needle in this guy and kill him

I find this guy totally suspicious: his web search history and sexting uncovered by police investigations. Who in the right mind leaves a child inside the car on a hot day? Incredibly dumb and dangerous, temperatures inside a car is hotter than outside on any summer day. This isn't the only case it happens. You can forget your cell phone and get it replaced, but you cannot replace a child's life.

I would have adopted that kid in a heartbeat if I had known this fool wanted to get rid of his son that badly.

• Like 2

It took less than a minute for Harris to allegedly forget his son:

Stoddard timed the trip from the Chick-fil-A parking lot to the turn Harris had to make to go to his son’s day care. It was about 0.6 miles and took 30-40 seconds, according to Stoddard.

Harris told police that, after he straps Cooper into his car seat, he "always gives him a kiss in case he gets into a car accident and dies,” according to Stoddard. So in less than a minute, Harris would have gone from kissing his son to forgetting to drop him off at day care.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2014/07/03/justin-ross-harris-cooper-toddler-hot-car-death-live-blog

Really? Less then a minute and he forgot his son was strapped into the back seat?

• Like 2

i thnk those who know me, and maybe even those who don't, might be very surprised at what comes up on my google search history

a lot of it stems from scenarios similar to what you described, or just flat out curiosity. i'm a crime story fan so i look up all sorts of gruesome stuff.

EXACTLY! This is why I made the point about the guy possibly being convicted over a Google search. If he is then we ALL better get concerned. It'd be like the modern version of the Salem witch trials!
  • Like 2

Is it possible that he didn't mean to kill the boy, and yet did all of the actions he did as well? I think it's unlikely but still plausible. We certainly can't stick this case on unprovable assumptions like "He went back to the car later that day in order to see if his child was dead yet or not."

I believe a subconscious mind has persuasion over the conscious mind. I think that a mind that wants to forget is more likely to forget. Not more likely to turn evil and malicious and a murderer of children.

Is it possible that he didn't mean to kill the boy, and yet did all of the actions he did as well? I think it's unlikely but still plausible. We certainly can't stick this case on unprovable assumptions like "He went back to the car later that day in order to see if his child was dead yet or not."

I believe a subconscious mind has persuasion over the conscious mind. I think that a mind that wants to forget is more likely to forget. Not more likely to turn evil and malicious and a murderer of children.

With all the (circumstantial) evidence building against him and the wife I have to say it looks bad now. I just cannot imagine parents - especially educated, apparently loving parents deciding to murder their child over 27,000 dollars. If it turns out that they did do it then evil is the right word to apply here.

Did you see my post above? The dad forgot about his son 45 seconds after he strapped him in. He forgot him in about a half mile.

EXACTLY! This is why I made the point about the guy possibly being convicted over a Google search. If he is then we ALL better get concerned. It'd be like the modern version of the Salem witch trials!

Researching a person's computer Should, in my opinion be part of a criminal investigation. That would include google searches. It is not like the google-gestapo showed up at his work and asked why he was googling that. He was already a suspect when the authorities started investigating.

Apparently the judge agrees with most posters here. His actions were very suspicious.

The next step is the Grand Jury to see if the evidence is enough to hold this man for trial. I think he will be indicted. All this couple's thinking seems to revolve around a child dying in a hot car and the circumstances of how the child was forgotten are way suspicious. It's one thing for the father to say he just googled because he was afraid it would happen, but the first words out of the mother's mouth at the day care was that he left the child in the car. It's kind of weird they were both on the same wavelength at the same time like that. I say check into mom too.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

The dad was p***ed that him and his wife were not having "intimacy". He could have resented his son as much as he loved him. And who is to know if it was a threat that he threw at the wife becauuse of his anger. She could have said he left the son in the car because of a threat she saw as empty. Of course this last is a speculation on my part, but it really makes me wonder....

Researching a person's computer Should, in my opinion be part of a criminal investigation. That would include google searches. It is not like the google-gestapo showed up at his work and asked why he was googling that. He was already a suspect when the authorities started investigating.

Google searches of suspects are just common sense these days - that's not what I'd have a problem with per se. It's using only those searches to build a case. Inet searches can be as varied and strange as the human imagination and how is one to prove that what was searched was in preparation for the act? I'm simply saying that using a person's weird (to others) imagination as the chief reason to convict them would open a Pandora's box that would be awful to behold. What was that Tom Cruise movie about arresting criminals BEFORE they could commit a crime - just because they were thinking about it?

She probably does not realize that if she covers up even a little, she is an accomplice.

More evidence the wife is not the sharpest tool in the box....

Investigators told the court that when Leanna Harris met her husband at the police station she asked: 'Did you say too much?'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2679782/Father-left-toddler-die-sweltering-SUV.html

• Like 1

Did you see my post above? The dad forgot about his son 45 seconds after he strapped him in. He forgot him in about a half mile.

Sounds like something Nancy Grace would be hammering on. Not really sure what that means. Going with the supposition that he forgot (which is his defense), a lapse in memory is a duration of time not a starting point in time. He forgot from whatever minutes or seconds after he strapped him in until he found his son in the car already dead and called 911. Maybe he began forgetting 25 seconds after he strapped him in. Is that worse than 45 seconds? I don't feel any gravity there.

Does being right down the street, and on the way to work make it much less likely to forget? That's what HLN is implying in your link but I don't see it. What if daycare was 20 miles away in the other direction? I think it'd be a hell of a lot easier to remember that than this.

He forgot from whatever minutes or seconds after he strapped him in until he found his son in the car already dead and called 911.

According to the prosecution's evidence, he never called 9-1-1.

• Like 2

Sounds like something Nancy Grace would be hammering on. Not really sure what that means. Going with the supposition that he forgot (which is his defense), a lapse in memory is a duration of time not a starting point in time. He forgot from whatever minutes or seconds after he strapped him in until he found his son in the car already dead and called 911. Maybe he began forgetting 25 seconds after he strapped him in. Is that worse than 45 seconds? I don't feel any gravity there.

Does being right down the street, and on the way to work make it much less likely to forget? That's what HLN is implying in your link but I don't see it. What if daycare was 20 miles away in the other direction? I think it'd be a hell of a lot easier to remember that than this.

Fine. If you support the man you go right ahead and support him. Just don't be saying you didn't disregard evidence when we were still talking about it, when the verdict comes down.

Anyway, I was expressing my incredulity of his defense.

I understand your point that he could have forgot the boy at any point. But I suspect that forgetting something short term is not linear, such that the odds of forgetting most likely DO change over time toward the negative.I'm sure there have been studies on people's attention spans, during relaxed times and stressed times, so the time it took for him to "forget" could be statistically significant.

What I suspect will be said is that the expectation of a parent is greater, because another Helpless person's life depends on them. If this dad had been on his way to work and forgot to stop and have breakfast (WHICH HE DIDN"T), then there would be no damages. Apparently getting a breakfast sandwich was a higher priority in this guys brain that morning then his little son.

That he Killed his son should not be in doubt, only whether he meant to, and if he planned to.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

According to the prosecution's evidence, he never called 9-1-1.

I think what I read was that he got off work. Then went out to his car. Then drove for a good while. Then.... Then noticed a stink and noticed his dead son. Then pulled over and pulled the kid out and That is how the cops found him. The initial officer reported that the car smelled Very Strongly and was immediately suspicious because the dad said he'd not noticed anything. Anyone been around a dead animal that has been in the sun all day?

• Like 2

I think what I read was that he got off work. Then went out to his car. Then drove for a good while. Then.... Then noticed a stink and noticed his dead son.

No, according to the lead detective, Harris never claimed to have noticed any odor; he claimed that it was during a right turn that he noticed the child (note that he'd also made a right turn after breakfast that morn.)... and that he then drove some before he pulled over.

The video at Harris' work showed that he entered his vehicle and immediately drove away, windows up.

The lead detective testified that the odor in the vehicle was not only observed at the time, but still apparent to the him hours later and that it was an odor of "decomposition...death".

Btw, the testimony was that the ME estimated the TOD to have been about noon.

Edited by regi
  • Like 1

See, the more I find out about this situation, I really have a hard time beleiving this was an accident. Throw both of them in jail, in general population and maybe justice will be served.