Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite JRPG's on SNES

CuriousRey

I honestly can't even remember exactly how many great JRPG's there were on the SNES so i'm hoping I hear of a few that I haven't had the chance to play, at which point I will proceed to load them up in an emulator and give em a go.

My personal favorites that I can recall off of memory are;

Final Fantasy III/VI (Espers were so much fun and Shadow was my favorite character!)

Chrono Trigger (Seriously is still one of my all time favorite JRPG's ever, storyline was so great)

Earthbound (So much cheese, so much awesome)

Ok so that's just a few that really stuck out with me, what are some of your favorites?

• Like 1

So am I to gather that i'm the only nerd here that loved oldschool JRPG's on the SNES? :cry:

Final Fantasy

Chrono Trigger

The legend of zelda a link to the past

I think those were about the only games i ever played on my snes

• Like 2

tales of phantasia, earthbound, breath of fire, mario rpg, and all those already listed....

• Like 2

So am I to gather that i'm the only nerd here that loved oldschool JRPG's on the SNES? :cry:

I never had the snes, or any console, back then. wasnt allowed to have one. I did play chrono cross on the ps1, however. It was probably not the best intro to the genre. That game was a mess. Fascinating sometimes, but still a mess.

• Like 1

A mess!?!?!?!?! How so? I loved that game so much, the story was so ridiculous it was great, and the characters were fun. I really enjoyed the time travel aspect, I enjoy when they make new games with the old feel and I really wish they would do a new final fantasy with the oldschool skin. Kefka was by far one of my favorite villains because he was so over the top and ridiculous, I enjoyed some jrpgs on the ps1 too but anything following that paled in comparison for me personally. Legend of Dragoon was fun, FF7 was a good story and I really enjoyed all the mini games and such but I still enjoyed the SNES and FF9 variations more.

tales of phantasia, earthbound, breath of fire, mario rpg, and all those already listed....

Breath of Fire III I think it was... that game was awesome, I loved being able to transform into a dragon! Super mario rpg was also fun, I've never managed to find my way into the tales series at all maybe I should give that a go.

don't get me wrong, curiousrey, i loved chrono cross. playing it still ranks as one of my favorite game experiences. and i actually finished it, which is something i don't often do with games. but it had some pretty serious flaws, to my mind. the tone was all over the place, the number of characters was a bit too huge, to my mind, since a lot of them got basically no characterization at all... it was an amazing game in many respects, it also frustrates me a lot.

i do want to play it again now, though. it's been over ten years since i beat it.

• Like 1

FF6

Treasure of the Rudras

Illusion of Gaia

Terranigma

Zelda: Link to the Past

Mystical Ninja

Chrono Trigger

Lufia 1 & 2

There's many more, but those ones are the best off the top of my head.

• Like 1

don't get me wrong, curiousrey, i loved chrono cross. playing it still ranks as one of my favorite game experiences. and i actually finished it, which is something i don't often do with games. but it had some pretty serious flaws, to my mind. the tone was all over the place, the number of characters was a bit too huge, to my mind, since a lot of them got basically no characterization at all... it was an amazing game in many respects, it also frustrates me a lot.

i do want to play it again now, though. it's been over ten years since i beat it.

You want a real challenge? Try playing with a hacked accessory(the Wallet) that prevents you from gaining experience from battles. I got pretty close to the end and then got distracted by other games and never got around to trying to finish it. That is a challenge.

• Like 2

i... do not actually want a real challenge, to be honest. that sounds terrifying.

• Like 1

Ah chrono cross, I can definately agree that game had some major flaws though I really enjoyed the game. I was originally reffering to its predecessor chrono trigger, if you haven't taken the time to play chrono trigger I highly recommend a playthrough, if you don't have an SNES you can download the emulator and rom for free on a few sites. I really wish someone would go about a proper sequal to chrono trigger as chrono cross wasn't really a sequel it was more of an alternate universe kind of thing if memory serves me right, if someone did do a sequel I would prefer it to be reminicent of the graphical style of the original great JRPG's with 2d sprites and hand-drawn artwork of course with the proper modern tweaks to make it more beautiful. I really enjoy games with hand-drawn 2d sprites!

FF6

Chrono Trigger

Bahamut Lagoon

Paladin's Quest

Tales of Phantasia

Star Ocean

I can honestly say while i'm very familiar with a lot of the genre I've never heard of Bahamut Lagoon or Paladin's Quest, are these games similar in graphics and playstyle (turn-based rpg) to FF6/Chrono Trigger? If they are I will have to give them a gander.

I can honestly say while i'm very familiar with a lot of the genre I've never heard of Bahamut Lagoon or Paladin's Quest, are these games similar in graphics and playstyle (turn-based rpg) to FF6/Chrono Trigger? If they are I will have to give them a gander.

Yes they are turn based rpgs. They are a bit different from FF but worth a play imo.

Thanks, i'll have to give them a go when I get a chance!