Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anthropomorphic Aliens

psyche101

Perhaps you are right, I've said as much in the past. :tu:

Cheers mate, I am just trying to follow the trail. I was always of the same opinion that a different planet must result in different life, but when we look at things like the series Cosmos reiterating how we are all star dust, it strikes me that we all might have more in common than one may realise. As Lost Shaman said, the idea of radically different life just does not seem to be supported by what we understand of evolution.

I've heard you ask before in different threads why don't aliens show up in smoke spewing clunkers? Perhaps they could. Perhaps they aren't as advanced as the pedestal we keep placing them on. Perhaps they aren't as well suited to technology as we are, or can be. Intelligent aliens with a different body structure need not necessarily be better or smarter than us to still be considered intelligent or 'advanced'.

Quite possible, as I say, if we have radically different life, why not radically different tech? We seem to be able to recognise alien tech rather quickly. It seems to indicate we are overstepping ourselves when claiming a flying saucer is a spaceship. A real alien may well laugh and say "A saucer does not work with dynamics ANYWHERE in the Universe you silly humans!! Your mistaking plasma for us!!

Somebody had to have a crack at the Orion concept! Come on aliens, don't let us down :D Wouldn't that be something!!!!!!! :D

I honestly think we consider aliens to be advanced, because that makes it easy to attribute aliens and spaceships o UFO's. We cannot do it - must be a higher power. Considering religion, it is a mindset that we are comfortable with, if not accurate or helpful.

I don't know, I'm still holding out hope that it's not impossible for there to be strange alien civilizations out there with which we could interact someday. It might just be a sci-fi fantasy born of reading too many books as a kid but it's one I'm going to hold on to for now. :D:tu:

I kinda hope I am right, Orion Slave women mate .............. ;)

Wink Wink Nudge Nudge, say no more, say no more!

• Like 1

Great things come in three`s que Three breasted beauty`s :tu:

Evolution baby!

• Like 1

Evolution baby!

I'm thinking four would be more likely - keeping some sort of symmetry intact - - - :geek:

But that could only happen if we started having twins and triplets on a regular basis -

Having 'litters' of babies - - - baby -

But re your enthusiasm - I don't think you are talking about the benefits to actual babies - :D:P

• Like 1

Great things come in three`s que Three breasted beauty`s :tu:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Like 1

as this thread has progressed I noticed a new rule thrown in. Started with just intelligent life, now you want intelligent life from an "earth" like planet, why the change?

You guys inadvertently make an interesting point. That is childbirth has become increasingly difficult for modern Hominims.

I won't detail that here, but I find it very interesting and telling that from an evolutionary POV our linage has sacrificed the ease of birth rather than limit bi-pedalism or brain volume.

The latter has increased over time despite increased birth complications.

At the same time a recent study of fossils shows A. Afarensis used its hands in the same ways as modern Humans. This shows the body design came first and then allowed intelligence to flourish!

Even at the expense of childbirth as larger brain volumes are achieved while the grips of hands from A. Afarensis and modern Humans remains basically unchanged.

• Like 2

as this thread has progressed I noticed a new rule thrown in. Started with just intelligent life, now you want intelligent life from an "earth" like planet, why the change?

I don't think there has been any change.

We have discussed this before and consider intelligent life that will achieve technological civilization status must arise on a planet that can sustain such a technological civilization as a prerequisite.

Therefore, Earth-like planets (in habitable zones) by default meet this standard without the need to postulate unnecessary assumptions and also there should be billions of planets that meet this criteria in the Milky Way Galaxy.

• Like 1

I don't think there has been any change.

We have discussed this before and consider intelligent life that will achieve technological civilization status must arise on a planet that can sustain such a technological civilization as a prerequisite.

Therefore, Earth-like planets (in habitable zones) by default meet this standard without the need to postulate unnecessary assumptions and also there should be billions of planets that meet this criteria in the Milky Way Galaxy.

I suppose it's a question of practicality, i.e. to build an industrial civilization of steadily increasing sophistication you're going to have to be able to utilise the resources, mine them, build factories & son on, for which humanoids seem, at any rate on the basis of the sample we have to go on so far, to be best suited.
  • Like 1

"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world. The paragon of animals." So, a body configuration not yet completely evolved for bipedal locomotion, is the universal standard?" Seriously?

I'm thinking four would be more likely - keeping some sort of symmetry intact - - - :geek:

But that could only happen if we started having twins and triplets on a regular basis -

Having 'litters' of babies - - - baby -

But re your enthusiasm - I don't think you are talking about the benefits to actual babies - :D:P

More babies, more practise :w00t:

It's all good! Lets go with 4, symmetry works!

Of course these ideas aren't new -

450px-Sel%C3%A7uk_statue_Artemis.jpg

Artemis of Ephesus. 1st century CE Roman copy of the cult statue of the Temple of Ephesus.

https://commons.wiki...tue_Artemis.jpg

:passifier:

:w00t:

:lol:

Now that's just getting carried away!! Too much of a good thing!

• Like 1

If you wish to postulate intelligent life on a non earth like planet, please go ahead, but you have to establish parameters for life first don't you?

Details such as carbon oxygen relationships, gravity radiation temperature and water are all defining factors of life, that means a goldilocks zone, what would you like to propose?

"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world. The paragon of animals." So, a body configuration not yet completely evolved for bipedal locomotion, is the universal standard?" Seriously?

When does something become "completely evolved"?

Sure it's likely to be a version of the Universal standard, "why not" is the question that cannot be satisfactorily answered. It's the simplest solution to attain the best advantages over any terrain.

frazetta_alien_crucifixion.jpgOh I there's probably all sorts of solutions out there. Engineers just love to tinker with things. Edited by Hammerclaw

Extra limbs does not mean advantage, that's why we ditched the tail. The simplest design to accommodate the most is where nature will head, and repeat itself.

I suppose further rationalization will have them all resembling heterosexual white european atheist bigots, too. For someone who thinks they're so deep, your mind ran aground long ago, and is inextricably mired in the intellectual shallows.

Edited by Hammerclaw

When does something become "completely evolved"?

Happened about 33 years go.

Apropos of nothing, it's my birthday and I'm 33.....

• Like 2

:clap:

~~~~HAPPY BIRTHDAY~~~~

here's a hat for you -

17426.jpg

Congratulations! Treasure this year; it only comes once in a lifetime! :clap:

Well, happy piece of bathroom equipment! :D Edited by Valdemar the Great

I suppose further rationalization will have them all resembling heterosexual white european atheist bigots, too. For someone who thinks they're so deep, your mind ran aground long ago, and is inextricably mired in the intellectual shallows.

Good rebuttal, that certainly explains why you would have extra limbs.

Contribution duly noted.

Quite an argument you have there. Maybe throw a poem in or something next time.

Oh, I suppose I could posit nonexistent natural laws that cover circumstances humanity has yet to encounter, then preen myself on how witty I am, but that schtick is already taken. STAR TREK Original Theme Lyrics:

Beyond

The rim of the star-light

My love

Is wand'ring in star-flight

I know

He'll find in star-clustered reaches

Love,

Strange love a star woman teaches.

I know

His journey ends never

His star trek

Will go on forever.

But tell him

While he wanders his starry sea

Remember, remember me. Close as I could come to a poem on short notice. :yes: I always thought Captain Kirk was a poor man's version of A. Bertram Chandler's Commodore John Grimes of his Rim of Space novels.

Edited by Hammerclaw

• 1 year later...
On Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 3:42 AM, lost_shaman said:

What? We have hands simply because our common ancestor lived and hunted in Trees. How is that hard to imagine? Once the environment changed to grassland it was evolutionarily advantagious to standup and see further. There is no strech of the imagination there. If Bipedalism was an advantage then our ancestors inherited two hands and arms they were used to using and had the brain power to use them that were free. Now they could carry sticks with them. This and throwing stones was clearly an advange only hominins are able to easily exploit.

How can you say you don't see how that would happen?

New re

• search appears

Htt

• Like 1