Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1, 2, tree...and you're gone.

EllJay

I can see this being useful in areas where trees are too close to houses or powerlines to be cut down by a team of people and might be safer in some ways.

I am thinking it might hasten clean up after hurricanes, tornadoes or tropical storms too.

• Like 3

Now if only there was a use for all of that saw dust...

• Like 1

These have been around for at least a couple years. They are supposed to be for areas where felling trees isn't always possible, like along roadways or ravines, or to pick out one bad/dead tree among a bunch of live trees. Like if you had one Ash Borer infected tree among non-infected trees, you could shred the tree down then remove the shred a bit more easily and with less time then cutting the tree down, removing the sections, and then shredding the sections for disposal. Or like Ryu said, they could be used for safer and easier post storm cleanup.

There are different versions of these too- this one happens to be a whole tree mulcher. There are also ones just for topping trees along power lines, and others for chewing bush and smaller trees for clearing along road and railways.

• Like 2

I guess if all you want is dirt covered wood chips you could do that.

Another pretty powerful cutter is the one seen in James Bond: The World is Not Enough. They use these to clear power line corridors from trees that grows near them.

Makes it a bit easier when you have some 100 miles of power line corridors to clear.>>

Excellent. Let's not just recklessly cut down the trees, we'll make sure there are no useful resources produced.

God, people are stupid.

• Like 1

We live in the woods and there are times when trees have to come down because they are dangerous and this would be very helpful, leaving little damage to surrounding trees. You can forget about trying to give the wood away, because people say they want it or need it, but they aren't willing to come out and get it unless it is convenient. We even cut the wood up and split it, to the specs of their fireplace, and they still won't pick it up.

Been there, done that, for way too many years.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 4

All I could think of was how committed I'd have to be if I wanted to be a tree-hugger facing that...thing.

• Like 5

All I could think of was how committed I'd have to be if I wanted to be a tree-hugger facing that...thing.

Yeah, one would have to be a Woody Woodpecker on steroids to match that.

Awesome! They should use it on a cow, instance mince meat!!

• Like 1

I guess if all you want is dirt covered wood chips you could do that.

it's called 'mulch' Wickian, and is ideal for keeping weeds out of your flower patches.

here in the UK, it's hardly used as it's prohibitively expensive, but it looks great.

a machine like that would bring the cost right down!

(and before anyone jumps up & down on me- i'm not advocating the wanton destruction of forestland- mulch is already being produced. it's biodegradable, puts fixed nitrogen back in to the soil, is an excellent fertiliser, and, as has already been noted on this thread, sometimes you just GOTTA cut down trees!)

• Like 1

And Pellet fuel of course.

Pellet fuels are heating fuels made from compressed biomass. Wood pellets are the most common type. A form of wood fuel, wood pellets are generally made from compacted sawdust or other wastes from sawmilling and other wood products manufacture,

Pellets are manufactured in several types and grades as fuels for electric power plants, homes, and other applications in between. Pellets are extremely dense and can be produced with a low moisture content (below 10%) that allows them to be burned with a very high combustion efficiency.

A broad range of pellet stoves, central heating furnaces, and other heating appliances have been developed and marketed since 1993. In 1997 fully automatic wood pellet boilers with similar comfort level as oil and gas boilers became available in Austria. With the surge in the price of fossil fuels since 2005, the demand for pellet heating has increased in Europe and North America, and a sizable industry is emerging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellet_fuel