Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The 66 gestures of chimpanzees

Still Waters

Chimpanzees use 66 different gestures to communicate, including arm raises, ground slaps and foot stomps, a new dictionary has revealed.

Tapping another chimp means 'stop that', a hand fling means 'move away' and raising an arm means 'give me that' according to the tome, written by scientists at the University of St Andrews.

http://www.telegraph...ommunicate.html

• Like 1

I disagree when they said they are the only animals doing intentional communication (besides us). I think it is pretty clear dolphins and whales do it. I bet elephants do it too.

• Like 2

I think octopus and cuttlefish can do a lot of communication that we would understand if we could live as fast as them and learn.

• Like 3

I fully agree. Cuttlefish, squid and such are so much more intelligent than most of us give them credit for. e.g. Humboldt squid. Probably one of the more intelligent animals in the oceans. Look at the way they communicate...even with us humans when we go diving with them.

I think octopus and cuttlefish can do a lot of communication that we would understand if we could live as fast as them and learn.

I'd hate to be the person who has the task of decyphering an octopus's sign language repertoire.

• Like 1

Can the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes be far behind? First we learn what they are saying which is probably "We ain't related to your dumb a$$!"

• Like 1

Is there a Chimp sign for "stop using me for your unnecessary vivisection experiments? "

• Like 1

66 gestures to communicate: 60 of them mean "banana"...

• Like 3