Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tibetans inherited high-altitude genes

UM-Bot

Tibetans are believed to have obtained their resilience to high altitudes from the Denisovan people.

Unacclimatized visitors to the high altitude Tibetan plateau tend to experience a host of altitude sickness related symptoms within a very short time, but for the local people who live there this otherwise inhospitable environment seems to pose little difficulty.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/268741/tibetans-inherited-high-altitude-genes

• Like 1

Levi 1, Darwin 0

My bad, I thought they meant jeans.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

They're not any more acclimatized than the Quechua and the Aymara of the Andes. They just adapted after generations of living at high altitude.

No way would I go there, I have claustrophobia so bad that with less oxygen than Im used to having, Ill probably have a panic attack and die lol.

I have genes that give me a predisposition to wanting to be high, too!

• Like 1

this forum is indeed to sarcastic.

OT: Seems interesting.

Great article!

Seems that evidence of a great range of adaptation and bio-diversity if you like, exists on our humble little world. That is evolution for you, we adapt, we overcome, we survive.

They're not any more acclimatized than the Quechua and the Aymara of the Andes. They just adapted after generations of living at high altitude.

But did they? If Tibetan people born with a Denisovan gene are better able to live and work in high altitudes, why could it not be that people of the Andes have the same Denisovan gene?

Why could not people who live in other high altitude locations share the same gene.

I don't think scientists have done enough yet to be able to rule my theory out.

Darwin 1, God 0.

Levi 1, Darwin 0

Darwin 1, God 1 The way Darwin saw it.

They adapted after generations of living at high altitude.

....which is how evolution works....

Darwin 1, God 1 The way Darwin saw it.

because he was a priest.

he suffered attacks of conscience over his theory, to the point of witholding publication, and then only so Alfred Wallace didn't beat him to it....

• Like 1