Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange encounters with strangers

mister

What's up UM.

Ok so a few summers ago I was walking around my neighborhood when a man asked me if I have marijuana (I live in Brooklyn, NY) I said "no" and kept moving. I didn't find it strange since it is Brooklyn, whether it was a customer or a cop. What I found strange, was that, for about a YEAR afterwards I would continue to have this same encounter with the same guy about once every three weeks throughout different areas of Brooklyn. Like, I would literally come across this guy Downtown or on a train station and he'd ask me the same question. Its a small world but what are the chances we'd see each other so often at random places? I know he remembers me because he salutes me.

But the strangest were the last three encounters. One time he offered me a job and gave me his address and told me to meet him there the next day. I didn't go obviously. A few months later I got a job, and one day as I was walking into my workplace, he was walking past. He saluted me and said "oh so this is where you work?". And the last time I saw him I was sitting on my front stoop, he walked by and said "oh so this is where you live?". I haven't seen him since.

But this is just one guy. I've had these experiences with four random people over that past few gears. I don't see most of them anymore except for one. He's been the creepiest of all. To keep this short all I'm gonna say about this last person who was a complete stranger to me, is that on one encounter he even offered me a room to stay in.... And coincidently...... I actually had been looking for a room for rent...... There's no way he could've known that.

There's more but I'm trying to keep it short.

So what do you guys think about this? Am I reading into things too much? Maybe I'm paranoid? And if anyone else has had something similar happen you can share.

Also I do not suffer from any mental condition Lol.

• Like 2

That is weird. Have you ever asked his name or talked to him further than him asking you questions?

• Like 2

That is weird. Have you ever asked his name or talked to him further than him asking you questions?

Not the first guy, but yes I talked further with the last guy (the one who offered me a room for no apparent reason). Being that this wasn't the first time this happened to me I did try to get convos with this last guy to see who he was.

On the first encounter he gave me his number and told me his name was "don" he said "just call me d". Also, I did not ask him for his name he asked me for mine and gave me his at the END of the conversation. Usually when you give someone your name at the END of a convo it's because you know your gonna see them again.

This one never asked me for marijuana but did mention on a few occasions that he was looking to buy.

On the first encounter he mentioned he lived off social security, but on another convo he mentioned he works maintenance on a building in manhattan. You have to be retired to get ss plus he only looks 40ish.

One of the most eerie things, is that on one occasion, like the first guy, he also told me he had a job for me, gave me his home address and told me to meet him the next day. This time I got brave and did go, but no one answered the door.

I'll try to remember other stuff.

Ok to add some context....I met the last guy two/three winters ago. I was riding my bike home but I got a flat so I started walking with it. A man was walking behind me and asked me "what's wrong with your bike?" From there on conversation struck. He kept insisting to help me fix the bike and even walked me to a nearby hardware store, but it was early in the morning so it was closed. At that point I just thought he was one of those nice, overly helpful people. But towards the end he got a little personal. He asked me what I was doing for the day, my name, gave me his, and his number, and walked away.

After this I would continue to run into this guy at the most random of places, he'd always salute me and strike up random convos and always get personal towards the end of the convo. Like the one time he offered me a room in his apartment, coincidently I had been looking for a room for no more than a week, and never mentioned this to him.

Ask him who he is next time.

I have a non-threatening appearance that used to attract weirdos to the point that they'd follow me around. Now I look at them like I'm about to kill them. Problem solved.

• Like 2

Ask him who he is next time.

I have a non-threatening appearance that used to attract weirdos to the point that they'd follow me around. Now I look at them like I'm about to kill them. Problem solved.

I also have a non threatening appearance. But still these guys are on a whole other level. New York is too big to be running into someone all the time.

And I did ask the last guy ("don") if he was a cop (the only thing I've came up with so far is that these guys are cops looking for drug dealers, since their always bringing up weed). He laughed for a few and then said yea. But I can't tell if he was being honest or joking since he started laughing. So I started joking about it too and I told him about a bicycle ticket I had and asked if he could take care of that for me. About a month later I got a letter in the mail from ny state court saying my case was dismissed. I still have the letter and might post for ppl to see.

• Like 1

Here's the letter right here. Again, I got this about a month after telling him about my ticket, and asking him if he could take care of it for me. My fingers are blocking my info.

I also have a non threatening appearance. But still these guys are on a whole other level. New York is too big to be running into someone all the time.

Apparently not.

• Like 1

That's one hell of a story.

My first inclination is that one, if not both of these guys are undercover cops.

But now Don payed off your traffic ticket?

Maybe these people you keep coming across are hard up for companionship?

Just be careful brother, don't want to learn on the news one day that you became someone's love slave by gun point.

• Like 3

I'm wondering if these guys aren't gay and have an attraction towards you. But it's strange how they know some

things about you like you needing a job and a room. I wonder if somehow they were checking on you from others.

I know in my workplace if a new employee is hired and a few months go by, that employee will approach me and

ask me a question and call me by my name and I never told him/her my name but I don't know theirs. So I asked

them how they learned my name and they say they asked someone or looked at the roster on the wall.

Edited by Hawkin
  • Like 1

That's one hell of a story.

My first inclination is that one, if not both of these guys are undercover cops.

But now Don payed off your traffic ticket?

Maybe these people you keep coming across are hard up for companionship?

Just be careful brother, don't want to learn on the news one day that you became someone's love slave by gun point.

I'm wondering if these guys aren't gay and have an attraction towards you. But it's strange how they know some

things about you like you needing a job and a room. I wonder if somehow they were checking on you from others.

I know in my workplace if a new employee is hired and a few months go by, that employee will approach me and

ask me a question and call me by my name and I never told him/her my name but I don't know theirs. So I asked

them how they learned my name and they say they asked someone or looked at the roster on the wall.

I thought about that one and it does explain why a random dude would strike up a convo with another random dude and get personal but it doesn't explain how they knew I needed a job and a room.

@Hawkin, we have no liaisons but I guess you never know some people do better detective work than the FBI.

@Misanthropic I forgot to add, the weird thing about the ticket thing was that I never gave him the info necessary for him to pay it. You need the actual ticket with a case number and other info to show the court when you pay. I never gave him any of that and he never asked for it, he just said "don't worry I got you".

I just realize I never got to upload the photo of the letter I got in the mail because the file was too big.

Sounds like this guy knows more about you then you think.

Maybe he is undercover, has read your file (we all have a file) and is playing the confidence game with you?

Sounds shady as hell.

i'd clean house and keep my nose clean for a while, if it were me.

• Like 1

Okay, this is really intriguing to me. So let me just apologize now for how I'm about to bombard you with questions lol. What do they look like? Is there anything odd about their appearance, or would you just pass them in the street without a second glance if you didn't know them? And do you ever see them talking to anyone else, or just you? And have you ever seen any of them together, or have all the encounters been just one of them at a time?

Edited by TheLochNessMonster
  • Like 1

Okay, this is really intriguing to me. So let me just apologize now for how I'm about to bombard you with questions lol. What do they look like? Is there anything odd about their appearance, or would you just pass them in the street without a second glance if you didn't know them? And do you ever see them talking to anyone else, or just you? And have you ever seen any of them together, or have all the encounters been just one of them at a time?

Absolutely no problem. I'm happy to answer questions.

1-three were African American, one Hispanic; looked in their 40's; poorly dressed;

2-nothing odd, they all had an "average joe" look

3-yes I would pass em without a second glance. I wouldn't even notice them

4-yes twice. On two occasions I saw these guys with someone else of similar appearance and on both occasions before I turned my head to face them I could tell they pointed at me and whispered something like "that's him".

5-no

6-no

• Like 1

Yeah this is really strange it would freak me out. Maybe he is an alien or ghost.where in Brooklyn do u live at.i have cousins in bay ridge.

Absolutely no problem. I'm happy to answer questions.

1-three were African American, one Hispanic; looked in their 40's; poorly dressed;

2-nothing odd, they all had an "average joe" look

3-yes I would pass em without a second glance. I wouldn't even notice them

4-yes twice. On two occasions I saw these guys with someone else of similar appearance and on both occasions before I turned my head to face them I could tell they pointed at me and whispered something like "that's him".

5-no

6-no

That is incredibly bizarre! I wonder if it could be case of mistaken identity. Perhaps they think you are someone else that they know.

That is incredibly bizarre! I wonder if it could be case of mistaken identity. Perhaps they think you are someone else that they know.

I rule this out because of the questions they ask.

Yeah this is really strange it would freak me out. Maybe he is an alien or ghost.where in Brooklyn do u live at.i have cousins in bay ridge.

I live in east New York. I don't know anybody from bay ridge unless we went to school or liaisons.

Edited by Mister

If you encounter these fellows in the future, please update your UM pals.

• Like 1

Freaky stuff man turn the tables hire a p.i. to follow em and investigate. Haha I'm just playing. Confrontation is the best way to figure somebody out. If you got the chance just completely call them out on all those things. Ask them why so friendly? Why are they so interested? What do they really want? And based on the reaction you'll figure out if their crazy or if you're crazy lol.

• 9 months later...

Kinda a creep here, but I personally did something similar to an old couple down the street. I walked by everyday, said hello, and gave them some small talk before heading off.T

The first few months I yelled hello to them, it obviously made them slightly uncomfortable, but after seeing me so much they assumed the better of me.

I did it as a social experiment to see if I could make friends with them even though we literally knew nothing about each other, and funny enough it was true.

HOWEVER, I live in an extremely small town, as well as the fact it sounds to me like you either have a stalker, or some form of thing helping(?) you.

It's possible they were all attempting similiar social things, but be cautious anyways. Be polite, but not dumb.

Hawkin actually brings up a good point. Other than that, sounds more like being set up for a robbery?

Be careful.

Edited by QuasiBeliever

It does not sound good to me , it seems strange, unlikely and very planned .

Get as much info on them as you can and research them on forums like this etc , because you might find it is happening to others.

Try to photograph them and see what their reaction is .

If you have their address , turn the tables on them and start following them .

A lot of high strangeness in your stories , hope everything turned ok for you !!