Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can you recommend a free 3D CAD program?

NuttyKaks

Can anyone recommend a good free 3D CAD program for a beginner? I'm trying to fix one of my 3D models. Currently using two programs I'm using Meshmixer, and Netfabb Basic. Are there any good alternatives? :unsure2:

What kind of 3d model? I'm doing some animation and some work for a 3d printer. So -- for what devices and what types of models are you making?

• Like 1

You might try Blender or DAZ Studio...

All my animation and modelling is done through either Bryce or Poser (neither free unfortunately)... Both are easy to use (even though I suck at it), but Bryce does not export it's meshes well...

edit: You also might try Sketch-up... K-3D or Anim8or...

In fact here is a link to a listing of free software...

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/25-free-3d-modelling-applications-you-should-not-miss/

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

You might try Blender or DAZ Studio...

All my animation and modelling is done through either Bryce or Poser (neither free unfortunately)... Both are easy to use (even though I suck at it), but Bryce does not export it's meshes well...

edit: You also might try Sketch-up... K-3D or Anim8or...

In fact here is a link to a listing of free software...

http://www.hongkiat....hould-not-miss/

I have tried Blender, but it's a bit of a learning curve, so it would take me awhile to understand it. :unsure2: I will try the others you mentioned! Thanks! :tu::w00t:

• Like 1

What kind of 3d model? I'm doing some animation and some work for a 3d printer. So -- for what devices and what types of models are you making?

It was eventually going to be loaded onto Shapeways.com website. I'm doing a 3D model of 4th Doctor's (AKA Tom Baker) Tardis Key from Doctor Who (classic series).

I just need to fix some things, and hopefully I'll be able to sell it on Shapeways website. :)

We generally use Inkscape for that kind of thing. Sculptris is what we use for quick 3d modeling of figures. Blender was... just fine... until they improved it.

• Like 2

Can anyone recommend a good free 3D CAD program for a beginner? I'm trying to fix one of my 3D models. Currently using two programs I'm using Meshmixer, and Netfabb Basic. Are there any good alternatives? :unsure2:

Go to the AutoDesk website and download the latest AutoCad software for free. You get it free by selecting you're a student option and then picking a University. They dont take any personal details or IDs to check you really are a student there. They trust you and let you download whatever software from them that you want.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

I was at the same stage as you are now as I needed a 3D model for the serial production of a very simple sculpture. So I started

with StyleBuilder2014 but to complicated; next was LayOut2014 but to complicated; next was SketchUp2014 same scenario; next

LibreCad2014 and BLENDER and AUTOCAD but, to complicated.

I have learned that working with such tools is very complex in general and so I gave an order to a 3D design shop who managed the

model construction for 500USD and the guy who was in touch with this project gave me an insigt how to work with such toll and I have

to say it looks like science and it is not something that can be learned in some days.

But I can give you the tip to search for tutorials for the mentioned programs on YT first to check what program will fit your needs, and

your capabilities, at best. That way is much more efficient than to try to work with one program after another.

• Like 1

Blender is good, but you can't beat Maya and 3DSMax although they are not free.

• Like 1

Blender is good, but you can't beat Maya and 3DSMax although they are not free.

If you want most of 3dsMax for free you buy a copy of FSX professional (probably $10 at Ebay) and you get Gmax for free.

• Like 1

I'll try all your suggestions! I think I solved my problem now, but I always want to try out new software anyways! So thanks guys! :tu::clap::tsu:

Sourceforge has this download link for this entry and also the creator's website link at the bottom. You might want to beta-test it, if you like that kind of thing.

Description

FreeCAD is a general purpose feature-based, parametric 3D modeler for CAD, MCAD, CAx, CAE and PLM, aimed directly at mechanical engineering and product design but also fits a wider range of uses in engineering, such as architecture or other engineering specialties. It is 100% Open Source and extremely modular, allowing for very advanced extension and customization.

FreeCAD is based on OpenCasCade, a powerful geometry kernel, features an Open Inventor-compliant 3D scene representation model provided by the Coin 3D library, and a broad Python API. The interface is built with Qt. FreeCAD runs exactly the same way on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux platforms.

FreeCAD Web Site

Edited by MyOtherAccount
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sourceforge has this download link for this entry and also the creator's website link at the bottom. You might want to beta-test it, if you like that kind of thing.

Description

FreeCAD is a general purpose feature-based, parametric 3D modeler for CAD, MCAD, CAx, CAE and PLM, aimed directly at mechanical engineering and product design but also fits a wider range of uses in engineering, such as architecture or other engineering specialties. It is 100% Open Source and extremely modular, allowing for very advanced extension and customization.

FreeCAD is based on OpenCasCade, a powerful geometry kernel, features an Open Inventor-compliant 3D scene representation model provided by the Coin 3D library, and a broad Python API. The interface is built with Qt. FreeCAD runs exactly the same way on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux platforms.

FreeCAD Web Site

I didn't see your post until now... Thanks I'll check it out! :tu:

If anyone is interested in a really good free 3d modeling program check out Wings 3d

I've used it in conjunction with Daz, Bryce and Poser for making props, characters etc....I've never tried rigging with it but I think you can use it for that too.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Go here http://www.freebyte.com/cad/