Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Incredible sight of the elephant that cried:

TSS

Difficult to varify the topic title, still, this is a difficult story to read:

These incredible pictures show the moment an elephant who was held in chains and beaten and abused for fifty years cried as he was released to freedom.

Raju the elephant was left bleeding from spiked shackles and living on hand-outs from passing tourists after he was captured and tied up by his ‘owner’.

But, after 50 years of torture, the animal cried tears of relief after he was rescued by a wildlife charity in a daring midnight operation – fittingly on American Independence Day.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2682388/Incredible-sight-elephant-cried-Raju-held-chains-beaten-abused-fifty-years-day-released-tears-rolled-face.html

Not much bothers me, this certainly does though....just a note of caution for anyone who finds this stories hard to read.

• Like 8

Its very hard for me to see this :( Elephant is saved, luckily, but who can return those years to that poor animal... Those people should be sentenced to death, anyone who is responsible.

• Like 1

Its very hard for me to see this :( Elephant is saved, luckily, but who can return those years to that poor animal... Those people should be sentenced to death, anyone who is responsible.

Death is to good for people who do things like this.... :hmm:

A life sentence of hard labor would be a bit more fitting!

• Like 3

I just don't understand people who treat animals this way... I don't know if Inida has laws against this... If they do they need to go after this guy, if they don't have the laws, they need to make them...

• Like 4

"A confiscation process went through the courts as Raju's owner did not have any legal documents for his possession meaning the charity could rescue him from suffering."

Hmm, so it wasn't a seizure based on animal cruelty laws, it was just a simple property rights argument. That means the owner will not be punished for any crime. Too bad.

Edited by redhen

That poor excuse of a human, who was treating the elephant like that, must have had a very tough childhood... It's so disgusting!

• Like 2

That poor excuse of a human, who was treating the elephant like that, must have had a very tough childhood... It's so disgusting!

He could have been just a callous, unfeeling jerk... not everyone who's bad is because the butthead had a 'bad childhood'... Sometimes good parents raise

crappy kids... (and vice-versa)...

• Like 1

He could have been just a callous, unfeeling jerk... not everyone who's bad is because the butthead had a 'bad childhood'... Sometimes good parents raise

crappy kids... (and vice-versa)...

it's just most people tend to mimic their parents, but there are quite a few exceptions of course...
  • Like 1

Wow....poor Raju, that's awful the way he's been treated. The mind boggles at how anyone could be so cruel. At last he is free from that now, thankfully. Well done all those people who rescued him :wub:

• Like 3

I can't make myself read the link or see the elephant, it makes my heart too sick to know that an animal suffered this kind of cruelty. The information from those who have posted is enough for me in this case. How can anyone be this cruel? Thank god for those who stepped up and put an end to his suffering but if it's true that an elephant never forgets, his life is always going to contain the memory of that suffering and I just hate that.

• Like 4

My hats off to the rescue team, it is nice to know that there are great people to do this and it had to take courage on their part also.. I do hope that that Raju live a long and peacful life, he deserves it....

• Like 4

Update -

Raju the tearful elephant's new lease of life after finding a girlfriend and having a good meal.

https://uk.news.yaho...56.html#pIb74hR

That's more like it! :)

Great follow up thanks Still Waters it's always nice to hear some good news once in a while...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another update!!

No wonder he looks happy! Raju the crying elephant, who moved the world after being pictured in tears when he was freed from his chains, is welcomed to his new home - by five females

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2715857/No-wonder-looks-happier-Raju-elephant-moved-world-tears-pictures-crying-swept-internet-smiles-introduced-five-females.html#ixzz39V8n51Zk

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Another update, but this is awful should they let it happen.

Raju the crying elephant faces life back in chains after cruel former owners launch legal battle to win him back.

http://www.dailymail...e-win-back.html

Surely not :(

:no: ??
  • Like 1

Another update, but this is awful should they let it happen.

http://www.dailymail...e-win-back.html

Surely not :(

I hope the previous illegal owner pays an heavy price for what he done. He took an beautiful species and tortured it, used it's hair from tail for profit, and kept in in conditions no other living being should be kept in. It is sad and redundant. I hope the authorities find him guilty on many accounts, thrown in prison where he belongs and this elephant never have to lay eyes on this sick human being again. Or we could let the elephant have his way with him, stomping him into paste and tossing his lifeless body around, because this Elephant deserves to enact its own justice against this monster.

• Like 1

Oh hell no - that would be just too cruel, please, please let there be justice for the elephant. He can't be put back into the conditions he was living in before, there is no conceivable way that can be deemed a just act by a court.

*too heartbreaking to contemplate*

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Great news! :)

An Indian elephant kept in chains for 50 years has finally been declared free after his former owners lost a legal battle to reclaim him from wildlife campaigners

http://www.telegraph...dian-court.html

• Like 1