Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] The Midlothian ufos

johncbdg

13 April 2014 11.05 pm Spinning UFO

7 08 pm ufobject over Edinburgh 1 May 2014

The Ufo Phenomenon

1 July 2014 UFO

why do you need to edit it? each time you do it looks even more fake. Even the kids who videoed their ufo in Bristol done better than you, it was a glider with fireworks in the end but the footage was spot on. If you hold the camera still and better quality and not editing it would be more believable

The night shot looked like the cockpit of Alouette at extreme range and altitude. The day shot was just stupid. There's no excuse for bouncing the camera around like that. It's not like you were in the woods chasing the Blair Witch!

Edited by John Wesley Boyd
  • Like 1

why do you need to edit it? each time you do it looks even more fake. Even the kids who videoed their ufo in Bristol done better than you, it was a glider with fireworks in the end but the footage was spot on. If you hold the camera still and better quality and not editing it would be more believable

Good on the kids then,nothing fake have you tried loading up full footage with not much on then why would you do that,hand held cam i hold the cam as still as i can but object is moving and i have to follow it.

The night shot looked like the cockpit of Alouette at extreme range and altitude. The day shot was just stupid. There's no excuse for bouncing the camera around like that. It's not like you were in the woods chasing the Blair Witch!

But lets face it you could do better eh,you can see that with your reply hand held cam following a moving object try it some day and stop posting on threads you no nothing much about you sound stupid as i said get yourself a cam go film a moving object with it then post it up for us all to see,before you say things you know nothing about.

Edited by johncbdg

Very interesting vid's...especially the night one. Did the object disappear in the day light, then emerge again in the evening?

Considering you were holding a hand held cam...you did a good job....especially since some of this unexplained phenomenon can disappear in the blink of

an eye, and you want to film as much as you can.

Edited by Astra00

I'd be happy to help, johncbdg. How about you tell us what you are doing and why, what you think you are capturing, and all the technical stuff, like what camera, what optics, what settings, etc. You know, like a serious researcher would...

For a start I'd have to observe that if you want to be taken seriously as 'skywatcherscotland', maybe you should consider the following:

- don't just carry your camera - carry a tripod or a monopod - they can be *tiny* - or at least, just lean against something..

- learn about your camera, in particular, turn off AF/learn to manual focus and be able to recognise out-of-focus effects. If you can't turn off the AF / have no control over focus / can't get sharp results (stars are always a good test...), then frankly you are using substandard equipment that is just not up to the task.

I watched a bit of the first video and then gave up... and 'Spinning'...???? How the heck did you get to that conclusion from that wobbly footage of an o-o-f bokeh blob?

I then glanced at the night vision... mmhmmm... Here's a hint - stars are points, and ideally they should be tiny, sharp dots (see below for example). If they are out of focus (or too bright, eg Sirius..) they may bloom out but into circles. Well, that's what happens with optics that are working correctly. If rather than circles, you get bell or pacman or other shapes, then something is clearly wrong with your optics... I'm guessing you are shooting through one side of binoculars or something similar?

The last one looks a lot like an Iridium flare, but the qualiity is not sufficient to have a decent hope of identifying it. Have you seen/filmed such a flare before? Either way, how did you rule that out? Here's a still picture I took to show what an Iridium flare does - it's not zoomed in (I may do that for my next one..), but it gives an idea, and there are videos online that show them:

gallery_95887_40_19548.jpg

May I suggest that you wander over to your nearest astronomy club, and speak to those who *seriously* study the night sky. You'll be surprised at how much they love to show off their scopes and cameras. Alternatively, if you'd like to tell us what equipment you have, and if you have budget for upgrades (even if it is only small) I and others here would be happy to offer suggestions.

Before you start chasing ufo's, learn how to get good astrophotography working .. Otherwise your equipment will give more ufo's than you can handle...

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1

I'd be happy to help, johncbdg. How about you tell us what you are doing and why, what you think you are capturing, and all the technical stuff, like what camera, what optics, what settings, etc. You know, like a serious researcher would...

For a start I'd have to observe that if you want to be taken seriously as 'skywatcherscotland', maybe you should consider the following:

- don't just carry your camera - carry a tripod or a monopod - they can be *tiny* - or at least, just lean against something..

- learn about your camera, in particular, turn off AF/learn to manual focus and be able to recognise out-of-focus effects. If you can't turn off the AF / have no control over focus / can't get sharp results (stars are always a good test...), then frankly you are using substandard equipment that is just not up to the task.

I watched a bit of the first video and then gave up... and 'Spinning'...???? How the heck did you get to that conclusion from that wobbly footage of an o-o-f bokeh blob?

I then glanced at the night vision... mmhmmm... Here's a hint - stars are points, and ideally they should be tiny, sharp dots (see below for example). If they are out of focus (or too bright, eg Sirius..) they may bloom out but into circles. Well, that's what happens with optics that are working correctly. If rather than circles, you get bell or pacman or other shapes, then something is clearly wrong with your optics... I'm guessing you are shooting through one side of binoculars or something similar?

The last one looks a lot like an Iridium flare, but the qualiity is not sufficient to have a decent hope of identifying it. Have you seen/filmed such a flare before? Either way, how did you rule that out? Here's a still picture I took to show what an Iridium flare does - it's not zoomed in (I may do that for my next one..), but it gives an idea, and there are videos online that show them:

gallery_95887_40_19548.jpg

May I suggest that you wander over to your nearest astronomy club, and speak to those who *seriously* study the night sky. You'll be surprised at how much they love to show off their scopes and cameras. Alternatively, if you'd like to tell us what equipment you have, and if you have budget for upgrades (even if it is only small) I and others here would be happy to offer suggestions.

Before you start chasing ufo's, learn how to get good astrophotography working .. Otherwise your equipment will give more ufo's than you can handle...

First not even sure i should reply to you,but let us make some thing clear here,the Spinning Object as you can hear unless you are deaf? it was a very strong wind and with hand held cam it makes filming even harder agree or not?when out walking my dogs i always take a cam with me that cam was a Nikon D3200 night vision cam out walking with is pulsar Recon 550r i also use a nightvison Hornet Newton 5x24 on tripod and a few other cams. Now what am i doing filming the ufos that people have been seeing in the midlothian area for the last 60 years what do i think they are ufos and the real Phenomena. Edited by johncbdg

Very interesting vid's...especially the night one. Did the object disappear in the day light, then emerge again in the evening?

Considering you were holding a hand held cam...you did a good job....especially since some of this unexplained phenomenon can disappear in the blink of

an eye, and you want to film as much as you can.

The objects can be seen in daylight and at night some are well below clouds some are higher up,your right you do not have much time to catch

a object some times it is only secs you have,thank you for your reply.

The objects can be seen in daylight and at night some are well below clouds some are higher up,your right you do not have much time to catch

a object some times it is only secs you have,thank you for your reply.

Your welcome for the reply :)

Every night, before I retire....I go out side and look to the sky's, just in case I spot something unusual. I stand there with my cam lol...but so far no luck :unsure2:

These things can be very elusive, as I'm sure your aware. It's a matter of being there at the right place and at the right time, with camera/cam ready to grab.

Are you able to have your footage properly analyzed by an expert who dabbles in this type of field?

• Like 1

13 April 2014 11.05 pm Spinning UFO

There is no reference point visible in the vid so it cannot be claimed that the object is spinning.

Object movement impression is cause by cam shaking.

• Like 1

The Ufo Phenomenon

Aircraft at 1:31 with flashing position lamps. Ufo phenomenon?

• Like 1

Your welcome for the reply :)

Every night, before I retire....I go out side and look to the sky's, just in case I spot something unusual. I stand there with my cam lol...but so far no luck :unsure2:

These things can be very elusive, as I'm sure your aware. It's a matter of being there at the right place and at the right time, with camera/cam ready to grab.

Are you able to have your footage properly analyzed by an expert who dabbles in this type of field?

You will get lucky if you put the time in, that is when you will catch some thing,its like fishing boring most of the time but when you get the knack you will catch your ufos over and over,and when your in the zone and everything that you where going do goes out the window as you try and catch as much as you can in a short time,what started as a hobby is now Passion.

If any expert wants to analyze the footage then they are more than welcome to do so.

• Like 1

Can't make him drink...

Bye, John.

There is no reference point visible in the vid so it cannot be claimed that the object is spinning.

Object movement impression is cause by cam shaking.

Oh well i can only film what is in the sky, now the object was moving from right to left spinning it looks like it to me.

Someone over in the Cryptids section "stabilised" the Petterson Bigfoot footage, basically taking each frame and making it line up with the one before it. It was painstaking, but could not a similar process be done here to address the wobbly camera issue?

Aircraft at 1:31 with flashing position lamps. Ufo phenomenon?

Never said that was not a plane just showing the Triangle shape of it.

Edited by johncbdg

Never said that was not a plane just showing the Triangle shape of it.

But you tried to sell that object as an UFO.

And there is no confirmation that the object is triangular shaped as the object itself cannot be seen, just the lights

so your claim is wrong.

• Like 1

You may like this one you may not there where a lot of reports of lights in the skies over Midlothian i caught these lights when hunting what people where reporting.

Lights in the skies above midlothian 17 May 2013

First not even sure i should reply to you,but let us make some thing clear here,the Spinning Object as you can hear unless you are deaf? it was a very strong wind and with hand held cam it makes filming even harder agree or not?when out walking my dogs i always take a cam with me that cam was a Nikon D3200 night vision cam out walking with is pulsar Recon 550r i also use a nightvison Hornet Newton 5x24 on tripod and a few other cams. Now what am i doing filming the ufos that people have been seeing in the midlothian area for the last 60 years what do i think they are ufos and the real Phenomena.

Monkey can hold wrench without any training, that doesn't mean monkey can repair your car. You need to figure out limitations/drawbacks of your equipment (optics, real-time digital signal processing, etc), in the first place, then claim "spinning", etc.