Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Term time holiday parents get criminal record

10 posts in this topic

Two parents have been given criminal records after being prosecuted for taking their children out of school to visit relatives in Australia amid a growing backlash over new rules on term time holidays.

The pair were handed conditional discharges at Nuneaton Magistrates Court under the Government's new law against breaks during the academic year.

http://www.telegraph...nal-record.html

You gotta be kidding me? Is there per chance a "reciprocal" arrangement whereby employers can be fined for not allowing parents their annual leave during term break so that families can actually spend quality time together throughout the year? Because this is absolutely draconian and ridiculous imo.

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

You gotta be kidding me? Is there per chance a "reciprocal" arrangement whereby employers can be fined for not allowing parents their annual leave during term break so that families can actually spend quality time together throughout the year? Because this is absolutely draconian and ridiculous imo.

That isn't the main issue here, libstaK......During the regular school holidays, travel agents and holiday providers boost their prices by up to 400% in some cases....blaming "supply and demand"!

Just one example.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2548142/Fathers-Facebook-plea-end-school-holiday-hikes-goes-viral.html

Edited by ealdwita
4 people like this

Children shouldn't be taken out of school during term time just for a holiday!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Children shouldn't be taken out of school during term time just for a holiday!

If the parents can only get their holidays at specific times or a on a strict budget and can get away only when school term is in AND if we are talking about young children, especially under the age of 12 then I think they should. I spent 3 x 6 week holidays overseas during school terms when I was young and it did not affect my grades, if anything it helped mature me and make me both more adventurous and independent as I grew older because I was exposed to different cultures and out of my "comfort zone".

Travelling IS educational for children, they learn about the world and it's cultures.

Edited by libstaK
2 people like this

Can we assume then than striking teachers will also get fines & criminal records?

6 people like this

Can we assume then than striking teachers will also get fines & criminal records?

Exactly two Teachers Unions where out on strike the other day, so you raise a good point.

1 person likes this

Exactly two Teachers Unions where out on strike the other day, so you raise a good point.

And when my kids were at school I seem to remember that the school would announce an 'in service day' at a moments notice, & effectively the school was closed for a day.

2 people like this

when i was at school (back in the days where History was referred to as 'current events'), if the sun was out on friday morning, i could guarantee my parents would be outside the school gates, caravan in tow, ready to whisk us off somewhere with scenery, child-friendly pubs, and a beach of sorts.

a holiday every weekend, and not one court appearence.

(not counting the thing in Italy, but that's another story....)

2 people like this

And when my kids were at school I seem to remember that the school would announce an 'in service day' at a moments notice, & effectively the school was closed for a day.

Yeah. Inset days. They were ###### difficult to cover.