Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sparkling 'angelic' UFO filmed over Italy

but how it is possible to see the ISS with naked eyes... can someone confirm if ISS was above Italy at that time? Respectively Sunday 6 July -2014. Will be helpful knowing the time of the recording as well.

The ISS is easily visible to the naked eye. It's the largest satellite in orbit and even smaller satellites are visible. It just appears like a bright star transversing the sky.

This website - http://www.heavens-above.com/ - will tell you if and when all sorts of satellites are passing through the sky and will be visible wherever you are.

What's wrong with it just being some balloons?

I agree 100%. This is just a bunch (maybe 10 or 12) Mylar reflective kids balloons that someone let go. Has no one here let Mylar balloons go before?

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 7

Can anyone post a video of the ISS as seen from the ground on a sunny day? I'd like to see if it moves around like we see in the OP video.

All the videos I've found online either make it look like an enlongated bright smudge, or use a telescope that is way out of a digital camera's zoom range that could barely, possibly, look like the OP video... if the ISS was spinning on both its X and Y axis.

Otherwise I'm going to have to go with balloons.

• Like 1

Considering there's a sizeable amount of people who believe ufos are alien spaceships, I can't remember the last time I saw footage of something that looks like a structured craft bar the obvious fakes on YouTube.

• Like 1

Can anyone post a video of the ISS as seen from the ground on a sunny day? I'd like to see if it moves around like we see in the OP video.

All the videos I've found online either make it look like an enlongated bright smudge, or use a telescope that is way out of a digital camera's zoom range that could barely, possibly, look like the OP video... if the ISS was spinning on both its X and Y axis.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2262202/posts

iss_venus.jpg

Many more on google

Oh, the pain. Of seeing how brainless humanity is evolving. It is almost impossible to believe what some, indeed most, of the viewers are assuming this to be. I consider myself no genius, but I must agree AND disagree with Seeder. Yes, those are the ones you consider first. But for how long?? A fleeting moment, maybe. Before you realize they cannot POSSIBLY be the explanation. Not going on about the possibility of them. Let alone outright DECLARING they are something they are OBVIOUSLY not. ISS? Really? Where is your brains people? Number one. Find out the distance the ISS orbits the Earth as measured from sea level. Second, check its diameter. Now do some math and calculate its angular diameter. Compare it with something you know, say the moon. Now come back and make a fool of yourself by saying it's ISS. Oh wait, you already have by not having done the math yet declaring it for something it can't be. As mentioned above correctly, it appears as a star in the night sky. If you WERE to ever see it in daylight, it would be for a fraction of a second as it passes a point where the narrow circle of its reflected sunlight zooms over your head, kind of like when you see a window open in the distance and it flares up with light for a tenth of a second.

I love the balloon explanation even better, apparently some of you have no clue whatsoever about aerodynamics, please educate yourselves. No balloon will be blown like this object, in a perfectly straight line at a perfectly constant speed, due to turbulence, especially at this altitude. Indeed, look for the obvious answers first. You don't fail at that. But you fail miserably at recognizing what it can't be, almost to a degree where you must be so afraid of it remaining unexplained that you will cling onto just about ANY idiotic uneducated explanation. Where does THAT take you?

• Like 1

I'm split on it, myself. The solar panels automatically move and adjust to track the sun, and ISS was over Italy at the time and in daylight. The camera used was on maximum digital zoom creating artifacts such as prismatic starbursts and atmospheric distortion was a factor in the overall blurring effect---but I'm good with balloons, too.
  • Like 2

The ISS passed Milano 5 times during daytime on 06JUL2014:

http://www.heavens-a...2&tz=CET&cul=en

But I dont think that the object is the ISS1. Here is a still from the vid:

pizza_invasion_5_zpsd425e1ad.jpg

It looks like something you'd need Voltron or Ultraman to fight...

• Like 2

As far as I know, the ISS does align itself and move the solar panels to be facing the sun, but not at near the rate in the video shown.

And from what I understand, you need a pretty serious piece of kit and genuine know how to capture photos of the ISS with anything like the level of detail shown in the OP video. At the level of zoom to see it at that size and detail, it'd be flying across the field of view at a serious rate. It orbits at a velocity of 7.5 kilometres/second so I can't imagine anyone with a consumer camcorder possibly being able to pick it up at such detail and keep it in frame even if they did with a handheld camera.

• Like 3

Oh, the pain. Of seeing how brainless humanity is evolving. It is almost impossible to believe what some, indeed most, of the viewers are assuming this to be. I consider myself no genius, but I must agree AND disagree with Seeder. Yes, those are the ones you consider first. But for how long?? A fleeting moment, maybe. Before you realize they cannot POSSIBLY be the explanation. Not going on about the possibility of them. Let alone outright DECLARING they are something they are OBVIOUSLY not. ISS? Really? Where is your brains people? Number one. Find out the distance the ISS orbits the Earth as measured from sea level. Second, check its diameter. Now do some math and calculate its angular diameter. Compare it with something you know, say the moon. Now come back and make a fool of yourself by saying it's ISS. Oh wait, you already have by not having done the math yet declaring it for something it can't be. As mentioned above correctly, it appears as a star in the night sky. If you WERE to ever see it in daylight, it would be for a fraction of a second as it passes a point where the narrow circle of its reflected sunlight zooms over your head, kind of like when you see a window open in the distance and it flares up with light for a tenth of a second.

I love the balloon explanation even better, apparently some of you have no clue whatsoever about aerodynamics, please educate yourselves. No balloon will be blown like this object, in a perfectly straight line at a perfectly constant speed, due to turbulence, especially at this altitude. Indeed, look for the obvious answers first. You don't fail at that. But you fail miserably at recognizing what it can't be, almost to a degree where you must be so afraid of it remaining unexplained that you will cling onto just about ANY idiotic uneducated explanation. Where does THAT take you?

Hu?

Those are balloons. Pefectly straight line? Constant speed? Those are balloons blowing around in the wind. Probably had a small weight on it to keep it visable for so long.

Cool video though.

• Like 3

Seems like a bunch of shiny mylar balloons tied together to me. Nice effect though.

• Like 2

As far as I know, the ISS does align itself and move the solar panels to be facing the sun, but not at near the rate in the video shown.

The ISSs body do not spin or circle like the object in the clip, during its orbits. So the ISS can be excluded from the investigations

on the fake object.

And from what I understand, you need a pretty serious piece of kit and genuine know how to capture photos of the ISS with anything like the level of detail shown in the OP video. At the level of zoom to see it at that size and detail, it'd be flying across the field of view at a serious rate. It orbits at a velocity of 7.5 kilometres/second so I can't imagine anyone with a consumer camcorder possibly being able to pick it up at such detail and keep it in frame even if they did with a handheld camera.

Here is a picture taken from the ISS1 by a German amateur astronomer, using a guided 10" Schmidt-Cassegrain telesope with

focal length 2500mm: http://www.balkonsternwarten-netzwerk.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2144

Another one with a 8" Newton telescope: http://www.balkonsternwarten-netzwerk.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2905

Also with 8" telescope: http://www.balkonsternwarten-netzwerk.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2131

The forum is named BALKONSTERNWARTE, means balcony-observatory. :yes:

• Like 1

I gotta say just as a observation. It saddens me seeing how many people are diehard sceptical when it comes to the possiblity of UFO's in gerneral. The video in the OP, to me, is just balloons. But there are real sightings. Alien or not? I dont know. But I watched a flying saucer over my house for damn near a half hour. With 3 other witnesses. There are just way to many people with nothing to gain telling similar stories to mine, and many even right here on the boards.

• Like 2

No balloon will be blown like this object, in a perfectly straight line at a perfectly constant speed, due to turbulence, especially

at this altitude.

There are sequences in the clip at 2:30/3:40//6:20 where the object seems to make straight tracks. Strange to say that just

and only these sequences are made by using a tripod but the rest of it, not. Using a tripod with a ball coupling its very easy

to simulate straight track object movement even with an object that is fixed to its position, like a ballon especially if these

sequences do not show any benchmark like the ground or other fixed objects. Yes I know, there is something fixed visible at the end of the clip, but I do not trust this clip in general.

Edited by toast

I gotta say just as a observation. It saddens me seeing how many people are diehard sceptical when it comes to the possiblity

of UFO's in gerneral.

I`m one of this hardnose sceptics but I do not exclude the option that something extraterrestrial may arrive on the earth someday.

But also by principle I do not accept fakes by stupids for the stupids and the web is polluted with such piles of BS up to the highest

level possible meanwhile. And I give a °°@'% on testimonials. Who claims to have seen an UFO have to provide clear and well

focussed visual material. If not available, the claimer should shut up forever, period.

• Like 2

I gotta say just as a observation. It saddens me seeing how many people are diehard sceptical when it comes to the possiblity of UFO's in gerneral. The video in the OP, to me, is just balloons. But there are real sightings. Alien or not? I dont know. But I watched a flying saucer over my house for damn near a half hour. With 3 other witnesses. There are just way to many people with nothing to gain telling similar stories to mine, and many even right here on the boards.

Well, it's the closed-mindedness of these believers that is the main problem. Just because something can't be identified, doesn't mean it is automatically a UFO--the alien kind. We "skeptics" tend to approach these things with open minds. So far, we skeptics have come up with "ISS" and "balloons" as the leading explanations, and that was very nearly from the start of the thread and the thread is still fairly young. These are mundane explanations that can be tested and do happen in the real world. No one should jump to the "alien craft" excuse first without doing some serious thinking about it and using common sense. If it can be proven without doubt that it is neither balloons or the ISS, then we'll move onto the next thing it could be. Once we exhaust all of our guesses, and all of the natural, Earthling things it could be, then we might move onto something not of this world. That's how it's supposed to happen.

As for your experience, by the fact that you brought it up, I must ask these things: do you want to relate the full story, and can you prove that it happened? Regardless of what some narrow-minded, bigoted individuals might think of me on these boards, I do enjoy reading the experiences, even if nearly all of them so far can be easily explained with common, natural causes.

Dammit. I passed 1,000 posts earlier today and completely missed it.

Edited by Hida Akechi
  • Like 3

That Sony camcorder has 30xoptical zoom and 350xdigital zoom and less than 3megs resolution in video mode. I'm leanng back toward the ISS explanation. Maybe wrong, but the image is so distorted and pixelated and full of artifacts....who knows. The canon EOS600 shots spliced into the middle are kind of strange.

Edited by John Wesley Boyd

I`m one of this hardnose sceptics but I do not exclude the option that something extraterrestrial may arrive on the earth someday.

But also by principle I do not accept fakes by stupids for the stupids and the web is polluted with such piles of BS up to the highest

level possible meanwhile. And I give a °°@'% on testimonials. Who claims to have seen an UFO have to provide clear and well

focussed visual material. If not available, the claimer should shut up forever, period.

Oh I understand why folks feel the way they do. I just know that if I had video taped the UFO I saw, folks like yourself would certainly claim it was faked, and you would be wrong. Along with the tons of BS fake or just dumb video's, there are also just as many video's where im thinking that's what my video would have looked like.

I have no clear and well focussed visual material, but there is no way I will ever shut up about it. Neither would you if you had been there that night.

• Like 2

That Sony camcorder has 30xoptical zoom and 350xdigital zoom and less than 3megs resolution in video mode. I'm leanng back toward the ISS explanation. Maybe wrong, but the image is so distorted and pixelated and full of artifacts....who knows. The canon EOS600 shots spliced into the middle are kind of strange.

Digital zoom isn't zoom at all, it's just taking the central portion of the image on a digital camera sensor and using software to upsize it. It's no different than taking a photo or video from a regular digital camera photo or video and simply cropping it down to a fraction of the size and blowing the result up in software like Photoshop. The result is simply a mangled blurry oversized mess of what the camera actually recorded. No way 12x digital zoom (350x digital divided by 30x optical) beyond the 30x zoom that the camera in the OP recorded could be anything close to the detail of that picture of a <100m wide object at least 200 miles away travelling at 5 miles per second and keep it focused and in frame at that kind of speed.
  • Like 2

As for your experience, by the fact that you brought it up, I must ask these things: do you want to relate the full story, and can you prove that it happened? Regardless of what some narrow-minded, bigoted individuals might think of me on these boards, I do enjoy reading the experiences, even if nearly all of them so far can be easily explained with common, natural causes.

Dammit. I passed 1,000 posts earlier today and completely missed it.

No I cant prove it. But here is basicaly what happened. It was early to mid 90's. 93 or 94. Hot July night. Me and my cousin are drinking a 12 pack down at the Husdon river, in upstate NY, about an hour north of New York City. We are just drinking and BSing, when far off in the distance I see something with strange looking lights that mildly gets my attention. But it was way to far away to say what it was, and it kept heading away from us till you couldnt see it at all. So we walk back to my house, its like 1230 in the morning. So we turn the corner to get to my house, and there are my 2 neighbors standing in the middle of our road looking into the sky. So I look up, and I'll be damned right above my head is a small saucer with 4 lights under it. It was silent, and flew like a bummble bee. It stayed there for a long time. At one point it even seemed to notice us, and decended far enough twards us that I probably could have hit it if I threw a rock real hard twards it. I got really nervous and almost ran. Then it seemed to lose interest, and slowly headed back twards the river till we couldnt see it anymore.

Even more crazy that night seemed to spark a series of strange events that may or may not have been related.

• Like 3

It's like reading Virginia Woolf.

I know a lot about aerodynamics and I know what the ISS looks like: https://www.google.com/search?q=iss+photos+from+ground&gws_rd=ssl

They're balloons.

Cheers

I'm split on it, myself. The solar panels automatically move and adjust to track the sun, and ISS was over Italy at the time and in daylight. The camera used was on maximum digital zoom creating artifacts such as prismatic starbursts and atmospheric distortion was a factor in the overall blurring effect---but I'm good with balloons, too.

You make a good point with the camera artifacts angle. And like you said the ISS was over Italy at the time. All you would need to cinch it would be to know the direction of travel and where in the sky it was seen.

But that is not a video. :passifier:

And was it taken with a regular camcorder, or a telescope. I found lots of pictures, but they all seemed to have been taken with a telescope.