Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gerard Baden-Clay Sentenced To Life.

Astra.

Gerard Baden-Clay was sentenced to life behind bars today for the murder of his wife Alison.

He received a minimum of a 15 year jail term.

He took a devoted and loving mother away from her three girls, blighting their lives for ever.

http://www.skynews.c...-of-murder.html

A minimum of a 15 year jail sentence (life behind bars) just doesn't seem long enough to me for what he did.

I remember being a bit startled when he was first arrested, but it seems the first clues were picked up the morning he reported his wife missing - the two scratches on his face.

I followed the trial on the news and thought the evidence fairly strong although the Crown case was admitted to be circumstantial. Then, when the jury took a long time to reach its verdict I wondered whether they were going to find him not guilty.

Then this afternoon after he was found guilty I saw a photo of the scratches (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-15/gerard-baden-clay-guilty-of-killing-wife-allison/5548628 about half way down, also at about 3:58 into the link provided by Astra00) for the first time. No way, surely, I thought, you could get those scratches from shaving, even if you were in a hurry.

He took a devoted and loving mother away from her three girls, blighting their lives for ever.

Absolutely.

• Like 1

Not very familiar with this case, but apparently there was enough evidence to convict... And you're right 15 years does not seem long enough...

I do have a question about parole in Austrailia... here in the States, when there is a parole hearing the victims family is usually allowed to attend and

make statements, which often has an impact on the parole boards decision... Are they allowed to in Austrailia?...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

Not very familiar with this case, but apparently there was enough evidence to convict... And you're right 15 years does not seem long enough...

I do have a question about parole in Austrailia... here in the States, when there is a parole hearing the victims family is usually allowed to attend and

make statements, which often has an impact on the parole boards decision... Are they allowed to in Austrailia?...

Hi Taun, I'm not totally sure of how the legal side of parole works in this country.

I suspect the family would be allowed to attend the parole hearing...if they wish to. But I'm really not sure.

Someone else may be able to pop in here with more information to your inquiry.

That is a very interesting question though.

• Like 1

I remember being a bit startled when he was first arrested, but it seems the first clues were picked up the morning he reported his wife missing - the two scratches on his face.

I followed the trial on the news and thought the evidence fairly strong although the Crown case was admitted to be circumstantial. Then, when the jury took a long time to reach its verdict I wondered whether they were going to find him not guilty.

Then this afternoon after he was found guilty I saw a photo of the scratches (http://www.abc.net.a...allison/5548628 about half way down, also at about 3:58 into the link provided by Astra00) for the first time. No way, surely, I thought, you could get those scratches from shaving, even if you were in a hurry.

Absolutely.

Why did he have to kill her?......isn't it easier just to leave an unhappy marriage?

Yes, and the scratch marks on his face were very obvious.

Apparently he had commented to someone two years prior to her death that - " If you want a job, I need somebody to kill my wife" the person that he had said this to, thought he was joking....apparently then, he had told the person that he wasn't joking.

So, obviously this guy had this idea in his mind for some time.

As far as I'm aware...there was nothing mentioned about her life insurance.... in many cases of murdering a spouse, the life insurance is usually a strong motive.

• Like 1

Yes, victim impact statements are taken into consideration.

This cretin is trying to appeal the charge now that he has been sentenced. I hope it gets him more time if anything.

Shame he didn't slip before he pushed her I reckon. We do not need people like that in the world. The Puzzling thing is his family seems to stand behind him, I would not support even a sibling who had committed such a horrific murder on an innocent woman.

I wonder what his game is, I do not think he would last long on the streets to be honest, he is hated by most of Australia as far as I know. And deservedly so.