Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Jesus survive the crucifixion?

testudo_aubreii

On 4/23/2017 at 6:33 AM, atalante said:
The gospel of Matthew says there was only one post-resurrection appearance of Jesus, and not all of the 12 disciples/apostles witnessed that one appearance, because the appearance occurred in Galillee. 

The gospel of Luke disagrees completely with Matthew; Luke describes many post-resurrection appearances of Jesus, around Jerusalem.   Luke's gospel does not admit that Matthew's one post-resurrection appearance ever happened. 

Evidently there was a 1st century AD dispute, and rift, about which post-resurrection appearances of Jesus were valid. 

9 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I wouldn't say there was dispute. Mathew ends right there at the first post resurrection appearance. It doesn't go on and say, "And he never appeared again.". And it doesn't mention Jesus's assension into the clouds/Heaven either. Doesn't mean there is dispute about that though.

The rift I had in mind was Paul's-gentile-Christianity vs a more traditional Judean Christianity (headed by James at Jerusalem).  Paul taught many post-resurrection appearances of Jesus.  See 1 Corinthians 15:1-8,   https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Corinthians+15&version=NRSV   But Paul did not preach about an appearance to 11 disciples in Galillee.

Luke's gospel gives explanatory details about most of the post-resurrection appearances that Paul had preached to gentiles.  Luke also proposes an alternate setting for an appearance "to 11 disciples" -- thus shifting the 11-disciple setting to Jerusalem.

• Like 1

Highly unlikely the Romans used to make sure that the criminals died by stabbing and poking. Given the medical state in those days even if Jesus was breathing ,blood loss and trauma would have killed him few hours latter, heck I think even today if someone survived crucifixion he would spend months in hospital with tubes attached everywhere.

11 hours ago, atalante said:

The rift I had in mind was Paul's-gentile-Christianity vs a more traditional Judean Christianity (headed by James at Jerusalem).  Paul taught many post-resurrection appearances of Jesus.  See 1 Corinthians 15:1-8,   https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Corinthians+15&version=NRSV   But Paul did not preach about an appearance to 11 disciples in Galillee.

Luke's gospel gives explanatory details about most of the post-resurrection appearances that Paul had preached to gentiles.  Luke also proposes an alternate setting for an appearance "to 11 disciples" -- thus shifting the 11-disciple setting to Jerusalem.

I do agree that these two Gospels were to different audiences, and thus were written down differently. Also it does appear that Paul was basically the start of the first "Denomination", since what he was teaching was just a bit different then what James and the boys in Jerusalem were teaching. None the less, James basically told him to go off and keep teaching. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2017 at 3:36 PM, jaylemurph said:

Speak for yourself, sir. I can question's god's word -- with or without scare capitals all I want.

--Jaylemurph

Questioning 'god' is one thing that I wont get into because it's kind of a debate that goes nowhere (and frankly I don't care). Questioning a book is something every human should do.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2017 at 5:40 AM, kartikg said:

Highly unlikely the Romans used to make sure that the criminals died by stabbing and poking. Given the medical state in those days even if Jesus was breathing ,blood loss and trauma would have killed him few hours latter, heck I think even today if someone survived crucifixion he would spend months in hospital with tubes attached everywhere.

Surprisingly, no.  You can recover in a fairly short time, depending on other factors.

There are a number of groups around the world that practice crucifixion as a devotional practice .. while discouraged, the Health Department apparently asks that "if you're going to do it, please sterilize the nails."  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Surprisingly, no.  You can recover in a fairly short time, depending on other factors.

There are a number of groups around the world that practice crucifixion as a devotional practice .. while discouraged, the Health Department apparently asks that "if you're going to do it, please sterilize the nails."  

I believe Jesus did survive the crucifixion,  not forty days but only four days,  his disciples describe him as being disfigured from the swelling,  when then he did descend to heaven .  The bible counting is all mess up they counted a day as ten.  

Edited by docyabut2