Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haunted house?

Maryjo11191975

Hello everyone. I used to come to this site years ago but havent been in here in a long time. Back then I was just here to read and learn. I didnt expect to one day be living in a house that clearly has something "unexplained" going on in it.

My son and I moved into this 90 year old house that was turned into a duplex about 5 years ago. Its an old, quaint house that is about 3 blocks from the river in the oldest neighborhood in our city. Almost all the houses in this neighbor hood are around 100 years old.

At first everything was fine but there was a slight feeling of unease. The dining room, which I turned into my son's room, always had a weird vibe going on in it. My son hated sleeping there but because we had been living with family before this and shared a room I thought maybe he was just having separation anxiety. He was 10 when we moved in. He is now 15 and he only recently moved out of my room because over the years the strange feelings and activity have increased. I try to ignore it and not make a big deal over it but some nights its really creepy.

First we started noticing what appeared to be an old lady in a long flowing dress standing at the front windows every time we would leave or come home. This would be various times of the day and night so the lighting against the windows was always different and would not be a constant glare or reflection. And it would change doors. I have 2 doors and a set of french doors in my living room. All windows. And she would be at any of them but usually the french doors.

My son started hearing a child laughing.

When no one was living upstairs we would hear bumping around and muffled voices.

When someone lives upstairs the activity down here drops off.

We would occasionally see glimpses of people or faces or something floating by but really didnt think much of it or make a big deal of it. But we still cant bring ourselves to spend any time in his bedroom. He moved into a different room and we have turned his old bedroom into a storage room.

Things got very hostile feeling awhile ago. There was black shadowy thing floating around the house, usually at night, that was very aggressive feeling. I was asleep one night and woke up out of dead sleep to find myself face to face with it. I sat straight up (which isnt something I can ever do thanks to a back/hip injury) and then watched it float up and into the AC vent. My son used to sit in my room and watch things floating up and down the hallway.

Eventually it became so creepy here that I had to smudge the place. After that everything calmed down. I no longer see the old lady at the windows and the child's voice is gone. The black creepy cloud is gone. But, after about a year or so, things have started to pick up again. I know smudging isnt a permanent fix. But things are getting even weirder than before.

Most of the activity doesnt seem mean or aggressive. I was in my kitchen one night letting the dog out the back door and felt like someone was in the room with me. I looked up and saw the shape of a man in the kitchen with me. I refused to freak out and just calmly stayed at the door. He moved to behind me and I could feel what felt like, if someone walks behind you and they put their hands on your arms so you dont back up into them, thats what it felt like he did and then he moved behind me and went out the door. I never felt like he was going to hurt me or was trying to scare me.

Oh, the dog. The dog will also sit in my room and stare at things in the hallway. She will often cower for no reason. She is not a barking dog and sometimes, in the living room only, she will bark at nothing that we can tell. She also doesnt want to go in my son's old room.

We have started to see a white cloud like thing floating in the hallway. We always feel like someone is watching us. My son's friends have come over and experienced things without knowing what we have experienced. One friend had their hair pulled during the night. They also saw what was described as a very white and fat man's face staring out of them from my son's old room.

Things have now started moving. I still dont believe it but I came home from work one night and the vacuum cleaner was in the living room where my son had left it. I was home alone. I went to take a shower and when I came out the vacuum was in the hallway. I was cooking one night and my son went into the kitchen and asked why the big spoon I had been using, and had left in the pan on the stove, was now on the floor on the opposite side of the kitchen. He was in the kitchen another night and something flew at him and then knocked some cans over. Just a few nights ago he was downstairs in his current room and something flew off a table and landed across the room. Since the last people who lived upstairs moved out we often hear the bumping around, sounds like someone is walking around up there, creaking on the floor and muffled voices.

I am getting to the point where I am considering moving. I dont want to. I love it here. But its really starting to get to be more than I care to deal with. I have spoken out loud telling anyone listening that I dont care if they stay here but they have to be nice and not try to scare us. LOL! Should I smudge again? Should I move? Ignore it? I dont think I am just going crazy because it hasnt been just my son and I that have experienced the weirdness in our house. I have never experienced these things anywhere else at any point in my life. I almost feel like something or someone is trying to get our attention. Not try to make us leave or anything. But I do know I would never move upstairs. I always wonder how people live up there but no one stays for long.

Thank you for any help or advice.

Don't smudge for ghosts! Smudging is for clearing bad energy. (Like a room where a fight took place). Smudging only irritates ghosts.

Don't smudge for ghosts! Smudging is for clearing bad energy. (Like a room where a fight took place). Smudging only irritates ghosts.

Really? I never heard that. And I did research smudging before I did it. There is definitely bad energy here. Once I smudged the first time it seemed to lighten things up. But like I said, the old lady and the child we never saw or heard again. That black smokey cloud thing was definitely bad energy!!

OH! I dont know if it merits mentioning that since I was in labor with my son there had been a "gray man" around. I had a really difficult pregnancy and while in labor I kept mentioning seeing a man in a hat standing at the door. My mother kept saying I was hallucinating due to the medications I was on but late she told me she said that so I didnt freak out. My son's entire babyhood I saw this man. One night when my son was a few months old we were visiting my parent's house. He was screaming in the middle of the night and it wasnt a normal "I'm hungry" kind of scream. We were in the same room and I woke up and saw a huge black cloud beside his crib. I grabbed him and ran out and woke up my mother. She went in there and said she felt like she was dying. She was uber religious back then and started praying the thing away. The next day she had someone from the church come in and pray and they said they didnt feel anything and she must have gotten it to go.

Years later my son was in the back seat of my car when he started telling me about the gray man in a hat he often saw when he was by himself. He told me many times over the years about this and even, when he got a little older, starting things he was being haunted or chased by demons. I explained that if the man was bad he would have done something by now and to just think of him as a guardian angle or some relative who has passed who is just watching out for him. I never, EVER told him about the man I saw, not even after he told me that he was seeing him on a constant basis.

Edited by Maryjo11191975

Check and replace the AC filter, maybe with a Hepa grade filter.

This way the black or white smoke gets trapped in it.

Also tell whatever to leave.

If this ghost is sited so often, then I recommending recording it on video.Two things may happen, it will vanish or you be the first in history to catch legitamite ghost.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 3

What is Smudging? How do you do it?

yeah... If you feel that something is going wrong in your home so you should be careful and as above some said you should fix cameras at home, where you feel abnormal energies.

What Brian said, don't look upon this as a problem but rather the paranormal equivalent of winning the lottery. If a fraction of the 'regular' activity actually happens as you say and its not simply anomalistic psychology at play,you stand to become wealthy, famous and go down in history as the person who gathered the proof that answered the greatest question that faces mankind, 'what happens when we die?'

Unfortunately, at present, all you have are anecdotes...great bedtime reading but don't actually stand up as good evidence and have a monetary value of not very much. I would tend to side with there being a very down to earth answer to your problem that sits firmly in the psychology rather than the para but, we're only a camcorder away from proving that theory wrong.

• Like 1

Smudging seemed to be a bot overkill initially , as your first part of the story came across as being a non threatening spirit(s)but if things were to rapidly change then I could see smudging your home.

Please try and get pictures especially if someone sees or hears anything. always good to take several quick sucession pictures.. Personally I am not a big fan of evp ,,,

What Brian said, don't look upon this as a problem but rather the paranormal equivalent of winning the lottery. If a fraction of the 'regular' activity actually happens as you say and its not simply anomalistic psychology at play,you stand to become wealthy, famous and go down in history as the person who gathered the proof that answered the greatest question that faces mankind, 'what happens when we die?'

Unfortunately, at present, all you have are anecdotes...great bedtime reading but don't actually stand up as good evidence and have a monetary value of not very much. I would tend to side with there being a very down to earth answer to your problem that sits firmly in the psychology rather than the para but, we're only a camcorder away from proving that theory wrong.

Its funny to me how down right MEAN those who dont believe are. I never said I was trying to gain anything from sharing my experiences. I never said I was totally convinced that paranormal or supernatural things were happening to me, my son, my dog and everyone who enters my house. You can believe what you want. All I did was share my experiences. If I thought for a second that this was something I was just "dreaming up" then I wouldnt have wasted my time typing this up and posting it.

I havent tried to take pictures or get EVPs because frankly I dont care if its real or not. I know what I see and what I feel. I dont usually feel like its negative or threatening. Since I am a vegetarian and do not eat or kill animals I certainly am not the kind of person to throw someone on the street...whether they be dead or alive. I am a live and let live kind of person and that......oddly enough.......goes for the deceased as well. I dont necessarily believe, but I dont necessarily NOT believe either.

This website used to be a place for people to come where their stories, ideas and theories were welcomed and discussed. Not a place where the negative, non believing come to rag on those they think less intelligent.

Ok, Take it from our perspective, A lot of UM members are waiting for the legitimate proof of paranormal. You are telling us this wonderful story that shows a repeat haunt at the same location and I personally would love to see evidence of this ghost.

• Like 1

If this ghost is sited so often, then I recommending recording it on video.Two things may happen, it will vanish or you be the first in history to catch legitamite ghost.

i wonder...

If the OP were to setup cameras and actually record something of interest, the overwhelming responses would most assuredly call hoax.

And since i don't believe that ghosts can be filmed (given that they actually exist) i would likely be one of those people. M'eh.

Edited by Misanthropic

Its funny to me how down right MEAN those who dont believe are. I never said I was trying to gain anything from sharing my experiences. I never said I was totally convinced that paranormal or supernatural things were happening to me, my son, my dog and everyone who enters my house. You can believe what you want. All I did was share my experiences. If I thought for a second that this was something I was just "dreaming up" then I wouldnt have wasted my time typing this up and posting it.

I havent tried to take pictures or get EVPs because frankly I dont care if its real or not. I know what I see and what I feel. I dont usually feel like its negative or threatening. Since I am a vegetarian and do not eat or kill animals I certainly am not the kind of person to throw someone on the street...whether they be dead or alive. I am a live and let live kind of person and that......oddly enough.......goes for the deceased as well. I dont necessarily believe, but I dont necessarily NOT believe either.

This website used to be a place for people to come where their stories, ideas and theories were welcomed and discussed. Not a place where the negative, non believing come to rag on those they think less intelligent.

i think that when you share an experience pertaining to the unproven, you have to be prepared for questions and criticism.

It's par for the course.

Thank you for sharing your story, i enjoyed reading it.

• Like 1

Welcome back to the forum Maryjo.

I guess the question is what do you want to do? Is it worth it to you to stay in this location?

What I get from your post is staying there is a mixed bag. On the one hand the apartment is nice, close to the river and it allows pets. On the other hand you've had a series of events that range from odd (seeing faces or the woman at the window) to disturbing (the laughing, hair tugging, and feeling uneasy in the one room).

Do you want to try and find out what is causing the events and maybe understand them, document the events or do you want the events to cease? Are you open to the answers about the events regardless what those answer may be?

The events you've described have never been harmful. Do you feel they have changed? Do you think there are other explanations that could be the cause of these events?

I think if we understand what it is you're seeking then we'll know the best way to respond. The past events are past and there is no way to investigate what they were but currently occurring or future events can be investigated if that is your aim.

Mabon.