Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

45th anniversary of the Moon landing

Merc14

One of those events that stay vividly fresh in my mind... It seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do... The sky wasn't even a limit anymore... Surely we

would push on, and establish a permanent foothold on the moon and go one to Mars.... Looking back on the intervening 45 years, I can't help but think that

that was the swan song of manned space exploration... We've lost so much drive to explore... Now we just seem to want to send probes, and content ourselves

with deep space photography - which is very cool and we are learning amazing things... But humans are an exploring race... We need to go outwards... To

see with our own eyes whats on the other side of the hill... the other side of the solar system... (grumpy old man rant over)

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing at the time... It was my 16th birthday, and I joked with my dad that it was really cool of NASA to do that for my birthday....

• Like 8

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing at the time... It was my 16th birthday, and I joked with my dad that it was really cool of NASA to do that for my birthday....

I remember exactly where I was as well (we're very close in age). I can still see our family room, the tile floor with a red oriental rug, the Magnavox TV that was more like a piece of furniture in its wooden cabinet. My Dad is sitting on the edge of his seat (quite literally) as Mr. Armstrong makes the historic first step. "By God we did it, we actually did it" was what he said. Ironically, my father was at this period in time working more with 'inner space' vs 'outer space'...he was one of the engineers who worked on the very first 'atom smasher' at Brookhaven Laboratory on Long Island.

Edited by Lilly
typo
  • Like 7

Alleged moon landing!

;)

Yes, alleged in the same way that the sky is alleged to be blue, that fire is alleged to be hot and that the ocean is alleged to be wet.

At times like these I really miss MID. :cry:

I really miss him an awful lot of the time, but even more so on a day like today. He would have posted something fascinating about Apollo 11 and I would have left this thread knowing more than when I entered it.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 7

• Like 5

And no other humans have landed there since the Americans stopped.

this is for Mid ,Great memories and the Planning that went into The Apollo programs.

A Speech that never happened Thank Goodness !

"Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.These brave men,Neil Armstrong, and Edwin Aldrin know that there is no hope for their recovery.But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice.

"These two men are lying down their lives in mankind most noble goal: the search for the truth and understanding. They will be mourned by their families and friends: They will be mourned by their nation: they will be mourned by the people of this world" They will be mourned by mother earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown.

In their exploration they stirred the people of the world to feel as one: In their sacrifice,they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man. In ancient days, men looked at the stars and saw their Heros in the constellations. In modern times we do much the same. but our heros are epic men of flesh and blood.

"Others will follow and surely find their way home . Mans search will not be denied,but these men were first ,and they will remain here foremost in our hearts.

"For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever Mankind !

President Richard Nixon .

That would of been one Hell of a sad speech to make ! :tu:

Cheer`s Mid I know you Know !

• Like 3

Did we find something on the moon that made us afraid to go back again? Maybe something was inplanted in their minds that you do not belong here so please return to where you belong.

Edited by ibnuts

Did we find something on the moon that made us afraid to go back again? Maybe something was inplanted in their minds that you do not belong here so please return to where you belong.

No... There were two main factors (as I see it - others might disagree)

1. NASA didn't really have a continuation plan... The main thrust was to get there and back safely... Basically they were victims of their own success... It was a case of "Gee... Now we're here.. What do we do next?"

And I'm sure budgets had a lot to do with that as well...

2. The novelty factor wore off and public interest waned... By the time of the last landing, an amazing number of people had no idea we were even there at the time... America is a great nation... filled with great

people that can do astounding things when we set our minds to it... but we have the attention span of a three year old...

• Like 4

Strangely enough I don't remember the Apollo 11 landing (it was one month before my sixth birthday) but I remember vividly 9 months later going far a walk in the dark with my parents and looking up at the moon and them praying for the safe return of Apollo 13. They weren't even religious. I felt their worry.

To add; Happy birthday Taun!

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

1. NASA didn't really have a continuation plan... The main thrust was to get there and back safely... Basically they were victims of their own success... It was a case of "Gee... Now we're here.. What do we do next?"

2. The novelty factor wore off and public interest waned... By the time of the last landing, an amazing number of people had no idea we were even there at the time... America is a great nation... filled with great

people that can do astounding things when we set our minds to it... but we have the attention span of a three year old...

[media=]

[/media]

I agree with you, but I to continue the "been there done that, got the T-Shirt", I don't think we found anything interesting enough to justify going back. The rocks were made-up of pretty much the same minerals as on Earth, so nothing special enough to keep going back.

Did we find something on the moon that made us afraid to go back again? Maybe something was inplanted in their minds that

you do not belong here so please return to where you belong.

No, the monolith said he will be ok with a return anytime. So, no worries.

• Like 1

*sticks hand up*

I disagree!

In fact, NASA had all sorts of amazing follow-on plans. They included: a moon base, a space station, a space shuttle fleet, a second fleet of shuttles to go between the space station and the Moon, and manned missions to Mars.

*sticks hand up*

I agree!

The problem with NASA's plan (as described above) was that it was fantastically expensive, and NASA didn't have many allies in Congress. A lot of the funding to allow NASA to go to the Moon had been a result of NASA Director Jim Webb (a long-time Washington insider with essentially no space engineering knowledge) knowing the locations of a few Congressional skeletons in closets. Once Webb was gone (near the end of the Johnson Administration) NASA was on its own. Financial momentum would get them to the Moon, but nothing much was guaranteed after that.

2. The novelty factor wore off and public interest waned... By the time of the last landing, an amazing number of people had no idea we were even there at the time... America is a great nation... filled with great people that can do astounding things when we set our minds to it... but we have the attention span of a three year old...

Yep. Even before Apollo 11 had got to the Moon people were complaining about how expensive it was. Once Apollo 11 made it people asked why NASA kept going back. That showed that throughout the 1960s many people saw Apollo only in terms of beating the Soviets, and not as exploration in its own right. More importantly, growing dissatisfaction with the expense meant that President Nixon and Congress knew they could cut NASA's budget without losing many votes. So that's what they did. From a maximum of about 5% of the US Govt budget all the way down to about 0.5% where it is today.

• Like 2

We didn't land on the moon !

Twelve brave astronauts did :nw:

• Like 6

Twelve brave astronauts did :nw:

Ain't that the truth...

but they got there on the shoulders of the scientists, engineers, technicians and tens of thousands of hard working men and women that made Apollo possible.

• Like 8

but they got there on the shoulders of the scientists, engineers, technicians and tens of thousands of hard working men and women that made Apollo possible.

They did indeed :tu:

Haven't you seen that Documentary called Apollo 18? It was the ROCKS!! They don't want us there.

I will show you why is need to return at Moon...look at these fotos from LRO year 1967, what kind of cities are in the moon...

https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing Saludos.

Umm, the LRO launched in 2009. Here is the link chippy http://lunar.gsfc.nasa.gov/ and you can see all the high res photos here http://www.nasa.gov/..._archive_1.html

Sadly, no cities or colonies or monuments or towers or... That's the problem with newer technology, it gets rid of a lot of those low res glitches you guys find so fascinating. Saludos.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

I wish I could live those days again. I remember falling asleep in front of the TV watching them walking on the moon. When they took those cameras it was almost like they took us with them. If we took half the money we invest in wars and used it for space we could be living on the moon.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 3