Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Pond?

herenow

So, there’s a woods I write about....

Here’s an 1890s map of a pond about an hour’s walk from those woods, along an ancient trail.

post-101321-0-20535100-1405974083_thumb.

So ponds then and now i understand but why the picture of a rock?

• Like 1

I think they are saying that the pond looks like a ghost with the eyes and mouth going "woooooooooooh", and leg and armlike appendages. And then the mossy rock is obviously... well, uh.... hmmm. Well i explained the ghost pond part. Tag, you're it.

• Like 2

LOL :-*

The rock seems to have the same outline

• Like 2

I think they are saying that the pond looks like a ghost with the eyes and mouth going "woooooooooooh", and leg and armlike appendages. And then the mossy rock is obviously... well, uh.... hmmm. Well i explained the ghost pond part. Tag, you're it.

Yes, but the rock is not mossy. It has a layer of quartz which has been pecked away.

So is there a ghost in the pond? or is the pond a ghost?

I'm confused.. :-*

• Like 1

ok, i see now what your implying. yes, someone may have seen a semblance to the ponds shape and attempted to copy it into the stone. it leaves you wondering why? i search for native american artifacts and almost every time i find an arrowhead or piece of pottery i wonder why was it made, for what purpose exactly? I refuse to believe aliens did it though! haha

• Like 2

The rock simply is eroded and provides a perfect place for moss. That is how I am seeing this. (rocks do have this delightful penchant for eroding due to things like wind, water, sand...)

As for the pond images, I see nothing special, just a depiction of the pond's changes over the past 100+ years.

• Like 1

The rock simply is eroded and provides a perfect place for moss. That is how I am seeing this. (rocks do have this delightful penchant for eroding due to things like wind, water, sand...)

As for the pond images, I see nothing special, just a depiction of the pond's changes over the past 100+ years.

Ain't no moss, fyi.

It is pecked into the stone. I'll try to go out there and take a closeup today.

ok, i see now what your implying. yes, someone may have seen a semblance to the ponds shape and attempted to copy it into the stone. it leaves you wondering why? i search for native american artifacts and almost every time i find an arrowhead or piece of pottery i wonder why was it made, for what purpose exactly? I refuse to believe aliens did it though! haha

I'm not thinkin' aliens, either.

But I do believe in the influence of Land Spirits! :yes:

Close-ups

Not moss, and I say hand-worked.

post-101321-0-83863400-1406044088_thumb.

Still looks like natural erosion to me. Rock looks to be comprised largely of a porous substance.

I just do not see anything special here.

• Like 2

The title says "ghost pond", so herenow, are you saying the rock is a ghost of the pond or that a ghost chipped away at the rock to create a image of something similar to to the pond?

• Like 1

I give you credit for following up and take more pics.. I see the similarities.. just not sure what it could mean

• Like 1

Still looks like natural erosion to me. Rock looks to be comprised largely of a porous substance.

I just do not see anything special here.

It's solid granite. The white layer which I claim is chipped away by humans, looks to be quartz.

I appreciate the input, btw

The title says "ghost pond", so herenow, are you saying the rock is a ghost of the pond or that a ghost chipped away at the rock to create a image of something similar to to the pond?

What I think is the people of this area chipped that 'likeness' of the pond because this area is related to that pond.

It's not going to be a perfect match and varying water levels will change the shape of the pond, but I've walked by that boulder for years and kept thinking the pattern on it looked familiar.

The ghost part has 2 components,

- On the 1890s map it kind of looks like a ghost, or a pukwudgie

- There are dozens of ghost-y stories in this exact area.