Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lego lost at sea in 1997, washing up on beach

Still Waters

Tiny cutlasses, dragons and daisies are washing up on pristine Cornish beaches, nearly two decades after they were lost at sea.

Nearly five million Lego pieces were lost about 20 miles off Lands End when the container ship Tokio Express was hit by a massive wave in February 1997, tipping 62 containers overboard.

http://www.telegraph...sh-beaches.html

• Like 2

I'm surprise the waves and sea salt combination haven't eroded away the plastic pieces that stayed in the water as long as 17 years. Sharp pieces of glass becomes rounded off and smooth after a while.

Oh man.... this has to be every parents worse nightmare!!! Walking barefoot on the beach and standing on a piece of LEGO!!!! That is just the worst pain ever!!!!

• Like 1

Oh man.... this has to be every parents worse nightmare!!! Walking barefoot on the beach and standing on a piece of LEGO!!!! That is just the worst pain ever!!!!

Better than a vacuum electric plug I suppose.

Better than a vacuum electric plug I suppose.

Oooh I know someone who did that!!!! Makes my eyes water just thinking out it!

I'm surprise the waves and sea salt combination haven't eroded away the plastic pieces that stayed in the water as long as 17 years. Sharp pieces of glass becomes rounded off and smooth after a while.

Some plastics break down faster than others in sea water. The pieces may have been caught in currents and circulated around for years and years before reaching the beach? Pieces of glass are rounded off by sand .. not water? (I have a small collection of beach glass pieces.)