Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Falcon 9 First Stage Return

Waspie_Dwarf

Falcon 9 First Stage Return | ORBCOMM Mission

Video of the Falcon 9 first stage reentry and landing following successful delivery of six ORBCOMM satellites to orbit. This test confirms that the Falcon 9 booster is able consistently to reenter from space at hypersonic velocity, restart main engines twice, deploy landing legs and touch down at near zero velocity.

After landing, the vehicle tipped sideways as planned to its final water safing state in a nearly horizontal position. The water impact caused loss of hull integrity, but we received all the necessary data to achieve a successful landing on a future flight. Going forward, we are taking steps to minimize the build up of ice and spots on the camera housing in order to gather improved video on future launches.

Source: spacexchannel - YouTube

• Like 1

Next landing should be on land!

Not according to SpaceX,

There will be no attempt at recovery on the next two flights. On flight 13 there will be one more attempt at a water landing before flights 14 and 15 attempt touch downs on a "solid surface". The article mentions floating pads, so these "solid surface" attempts may not necessary be on land.

See HERE.

Not according to SpaceX,

There will be no attempt at recovery on the next two flights. On flight 13 there will be one more attempt at a water landing before flights 14 and 15 attempt touch downs on a "solid surface". The article mentions floating pads, so these "solid surface" attempts may not necessary be on land.

See HERE.

I read that after I posted but should be in this calendar year.

I read that after I posted but should be in this calendar year.

Not if it keeps taking them two months to get a launch off the ground it won't.

If they keep to schedule the first "solid surface landing" should be in December, but with SpaceX's current record that's a big if.

• 4 weeks later...

Falcon 9 First Stage Reentry Footage from Plane

Following the successful launch of six ORBCOMM satellites, the Falcon 9 rocket’s first stage reentered Earth’s atmosphere and soft landed in the Atlantic Ocean. This footage is from a chase plane filming the decent of the first stage back to earth.

Towards the end of the video, the camera operator attempted to zoom in and unfortunately lost sight of the stage and was unable to capture the tip over into the water.

Credit: SpaceX

Source: spacexchannel - YouTube

• Like 1