Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elephants have world's best sense of smell

UM-Bot

African elephants have more genes dedicated to smell than anything else in the animal kingdom.

In a recent study published in Genome Research, scientists examining the number of genes associated with an animal's sense of smell found that an elephant's trunk was able to beat even the best known of nature's keenest noses including those of humans, horses, rats and even dogs.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-sense-of-smell

So what i get from this is that it would be really cruel to pass gas next to one..

Its a pity they can't smell the hunters coming and run away, they probably can, but I guess there is nowhere to hide from humans...sigh

"Some experts believe that humans have a far greater sense of smell than previously thought but daily showers and fridges, which mask bad odours, have stopped us noticing."

Looks like even our noses have gotten more apathetic.

huh??

Quoted from the article link. I thought the same thing as well.
  • Like 1

shrooma smells like a nasty shroom..

I know this as being fact.. :lol:

• Like 1

Quoted from the article link. I thought the same thing as well.

i know!

daily showers?!

i laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out!!

:-D

• Like 1

I thought the trunk was an obvious indication but I concur.

With the biggest noses in the animal kingdom, of course elephants have the best sense of smell.

The biggest ears in the animal kingdom as well, but does that give it the best hearing in the world? It appears that prize would go to something smaller much than an elephants toenail.

Ultrasound simply refers to a sound that is outside a human's sonic range--which isn't that hard, really, as humans have modest auditory abilities. Researchers at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland have discovered that the greater wax moth (Galleria mellonella), a dull-colored, generally boring and common moth, has the most extreme hearing sense of any known animal. It's capable of hearing sounds frequencies of up to 300kHz, blowing away our piddly human abilities (at our best, humans can only hear up to about 20kHz).

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-05/which-animal-has-most-extreme-sense-hearing

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest ears in the animal kingdom as well, but does that give it the best hearing in the world? It appears that prize would go to something smaller much than an elephants toenail.

Actually they hear through vibrations , where they used their foot pads like ancient sauropods... They also have the Best sense of Feeling :yes:

Edited by Rei4ever
  • Like 1

Actually they hear through vibrations , where they used their foot pads like ancient sauropods... They also have the Best sense of Feeling :yes:

Very interesting thanks, Rei4eva, i have read that they weep when they grieve, very touching.

Perhaps the most touch sensitive creature on earth, the catfish, starts to feel the tremors of an earthquake days in advance! :lol:

Ouch, with skin like that you could probably feel your own shadow! :yes: