Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Queen's horse drug test

questionmark

The Queen's horse Estimate tested positive for morphine because poppy seeds "appear" to have contaminated its food, according to the company that supplied it.

Royal Warrant holders Dodson & Horrell said its own investigation suggested the contamination did not occur at its own horse feed manufacturing site, and that its inquiries were now centred on its supplier.

The news is unlikely to affect the consequences of the positive test, as the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) has a zero tolerance approach to morphine on race days.

Read more

Yeh right, if the nag would not belong to Her Majesty the breeder would just be banned for life without any other discussion.

• Like 3

Opiate dens are still alive and well I see. If you got the cash, they'll provide the stash.

• Like 1

This is an urban legend. Poppyseed dont show up as drugs lol I will eat 5 poppyseed bagels go to a drug test and pass.

• Like 1

This is an urban legend. Poppyseed dont show up as drugs lol I will eat 5 poppyseed bagels go to a drug test and pass.

What you eat in poppy seed bagels etc, are the dried, processed seeds themselves which, as you say, have no opiate qualities. What can contaminate horse feed is the juice (latex) of the raw poppy head getting in amongst the feed grain during processing.

What you eat in poppy seed bagels etc, are the dried, processed seeds themselves which, as you say, have no opiate qualities. What can contaminate horse feed is the juice (latex) of the raw poppy head getting in amongst the feed grain during processing.

yep, and how many tons did they feed the nag so it shows up in rather inefficient speed tests?

yep, and how many tons did they feed the nag so it shows up in rather inefficient speed tests?

Drug testing on horses consists of a method called ELISA (Enzyme Linked Immuno Sorbent Assay).......a procedure similar to pregnancy testing and requires a single drop of urine. Increasingly, mass spectrometry is being used....a much more 'substance-specific' system.

I may be mistaken questionmark, but I get a vague feeling that you're a rabid anti-monarchist! LOL (Or just someone who hates drug-taking horses)

Edited by ealdwita

Drug testing on horses consists of a method called ELISA (Enzyme Linked Immuno Sorbent Assay).......a procedure similar to pregnancy testing and requires a single drop of urine. Increasingly, mass spectrometry is being used....a much more 'substance-specific' system.

I may be mistaken questionmark, but I get a vague feeling that you're a rabid anti-monarchist! LOL (Or just someone who hates drug-taking horses)

I hate people who risk hurting animals to increase their own prestige, whether they are monarchs or proletarians is quite irrelevant to me.

• Like 1

I hate people who risk hurting animals to increase their own prestige, whether they are monarchs or proletarians is quite irrelevant to me.

Nothing in this report suggests that opiates were deliberately administered...........I have had problems with suspected contaminated feedstuff myself in the past....all the time poppies and other weeds are allow to grow amongst arable feed-crops then this problem will occur from time to time. For instance, we spend a great deal of time here keeping the hay crop free of ragwort before it's mown. Pain in the butt...but it's gotta be done.