Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The fourth kind... True or false?

So back in 2009 there was a movie called the fourth kind. It was like one of those found footage movies, but claimed to be based 100% on true footage and eyewitness accounts...

So here's the questions..

first: Was this actually true?

(Lots of people on Youtube have been calling BS sense day one, but I'm not interested in some Neckbeards assumptions I want the trueth)

Second: what did you personally think of the film?

(Did you find it interesting or entertaining?)

It is all fiction, they did post information on the internet that made out it was based on facts, here is a quote from the Wikipedia page:-

"To promote the film, Universal Pictures created a website with fake news stories supposedly taken from real Alaska newspapers, including the Nome Nugget and the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. The newspapers sued Universal, eventually reaching a settlement where Universal would remove the fake stories and pay $20,000 to the Alaska Press Club and a $2,500 contribution to a scholarship fund for the Calista Corporation"

Check out the Wikipedia page here:- http://en.wikipedia....The_Fourth_Kind

(The only reason I know is that the film led me to believe it was based on real events and I was confused so I checked it out)

Edited by George Ford
  • Like 3

It's safe to assume that any commercial movie claiming to be found footage or based on found footage is no such thing. Ever since Cannibal Holocaust back in the early 1980s, movies have been coming out claimed to be based upon found footage of shocking events.

• Like 3

Any film where someone continues to film (and occassionally NARRATE) while involved in an emergency/tragedy/alien invasion/ghost attack is pushing the boundary of "realistic" to breaking point already.

Filming while SEEING such an event? All too common. But while you're running for your life and people around you are being eaten by zombies? Not a bloody chance.

:lol: Did you think there may be a chance it was real? Heres some articless

"The Fourth Kind" Is A Hoax

Alien abduction flick The Fourth Kind bills itself as containing "actual footage" from case histories. But this footage is so poorly faked that it insults the audience's intelligence. So why are people still calling this movie scary? Spoilers ahead.

But the movie stumbled out of the gate by hanging most of its fear power on a fundamental dishonesty. There is no "archival footage." There are no "actual case studies." Instead, we get badly-acted, blatantly fake documentary footage which fuzzes out whenever anything alien happens.

http://io9.com/5397359/the-fourth-kind-is-a-hoax

Close encounters of the faked kind

Psychologist Chris French explains why he believes The Fourth Kind is dangerously misleading twaddle!

According to promotional materials from Universal, the film is framed around a psychologist named Abigail Tyler who interviewed traumatized patients in Nome. But state licensing examiner Jan Mays says she can't find records of an Abigail Tyler ever being licensed in any profession in Alaska. No one by that name lived in Nome in recent years, according to a search of public record databases.

Still, there is a shred of "evidence." Try Googling "Abigail Tyler" and "Alaska." You'll get a link to a convincingly boring Web site called the "Alaska Psychiatry Journal" – complete with a biography of a psychologist by that name who researched sleep behavior in Nome. Except the site is suspiciously vacant, mostly a collection of articles on sleep studies with no home page or contact information. Ron Adler is CEO and director of the Alaska Psychiatric Institute. Denise Dillard is president of the Alaska Psychological Association. They said this week they've never heard of the Alaska Psychiatry Journal, or of Abigail Tyler.

Hopkins also points out that Nome is not, as portrayed in the film, a city surrounded by beautiful mountains but is instead "a flat tundra town at the shore of the Bering Sea".

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/nov/09/the-fourth-kind-sleep-paralysis

• Like 3

I've never seen the movie but took a peak at the trailer. Reminds me of the movie like Apollo 18. Bogus

I've never seen the movie but took a peak at the trailer. Reminds me of the movie like Apollo 18. Bogus

WHAT you mean that wasn't real as well?

I've been lied too all my life :(

• Like 3

Apollo 18 is a NASA funded movie designed to scare the public from becoming astronauts. NASA were scared away from the moon by aliens now they're scaring the public away from the moon via scary sci-fi movies set on the moon.

Yes, I've actually heard that seriously argued by someone.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 5

Apollo 18 is a NASA funded movie designed to scare the public from becoming astronauts. NASA were scared away from the moon by aliens now they're scaring the public away from the moon via scary sci-fi movies set on the moon.

Yes, I've actually heard that seriously argued by someone.

That my friend made me actually lol.

• Like 1

Yes. All of it is true - as can be seen in the actual movie.

It was "really good" !!!

Did you find it interesting or entertaining?

Yes, absolutely !!!

So back in 2009 there was a movie called the fourth kind. It was like one of those found footage movies, but claimed to be based 100% on true footage and eyewitness accounts...

(Lots of people on Youtube have been calling BS sense day one, but I'm not interested in some Neckbeards assumptions I want the trueth)

(Did you find it interesting or entertaining?)

Did the movie mention any names of eyewitnesses and what cases it based it's story on?

If the actor was Paul Robertson aka Mark Hoyt aka David Evans then it was Bogus.

Edited by Hawkin

So they straight up lied to us?

Yep, just like the Avengers.

WAIT, WHAT?

That wasn't a documentary?

Its true ! Some people have way too much time to waist in there life`s ! Now I have to admit I did only spend two mins blasting to the end ,but what the Hey ! I`ll survive an Alien abduction just fine !

I Got B.B.Q to Trade !

:alien::tu:

If by true you mean made up by a bunch of hack film makers looking to cash in on the old "this so total happened, so give us your money" school of film making.....then yes, it is so totally true.

Edited by grendals_bane
  • Like 2

It was a just a movie, watch the end credits... But heres what 'so say happend'

"The Fourth Kind" is an alien abduction film 'somewhat' based on real life events, with an out-of-this world twist. The story, set in Nome, Alaska, is loosely based on the mysterious disappearances of 24 people in the town. The FBI did investigate the disappearances, which took place between the 1960s and 2004, and concluded in 2006 that "alcohol" was common factor in most of the disappearances. Before the FBI concluded the investigation, it was believed that the deaths and disappearances were the work of a local serial killer.

The movie is based on the theory that the missing-persons cases were actually alien abductions. "The Fourth Kind" hit theaters on November 6, 2009 and featured "archival footage" of the "most disturbing evidence of alien abduction ever documented." The 'footage' is that of hypnotherapy sessions between a "Dr. Abigail Tyler," played by Milla Jovovich, and patients who claimed they were abducted. The aliens in the movie spoke the long-lost Sumerian language.

True Story: The FBI and Missing Villagers in Nome Alaska

In 2005, the FBI sent homicide detectives to investigate a series of unsolved disappearances and deaths in Nome, Alaska. Most of the victims were Native villagers. Between the 1960s and 2004, over 20 people mysteriously died, or vanished. In 2006, the FBI concluded that "excessive alcohol consumption and a harsh winter climate" were to blame for the disappearances.

Dr. Abigail Tyler and the "Alaska Psychiatry Journal"

In the movie "The Fourth Kind," Milla Jovovich plays Dr. Abigail Tyler, the Nome, Alaska, psychiatrist who stumbles upon the 'alien abduction' link between her patients, during clinical hypnotherapy sessions. If you search for Dr. Abigail Tyler, Nome Alaska, a website called "Alaska Psychiatry Journal" provides a"biography" of Dr. Tyler with "related articles" on the topics of sleep disorders, emotional issues, hypnotherapy and regression therapy. However, the website does not have a homepage or contact information. The website was registered on GoDaddy in August 2009. A real online-medical publication would have such information, so this leads to the conclusion that the website is a viral marketing ploy, much like the promotion for the upcoming "2012" movie and the for "Institute for Human Continuity." Sorry to burst your bubble, but this doesn't rule out that Dr. Tyler 'could' have been based on a 'real' doctor; but if there were, the true account would have made for a much more interesting find.

Did the movie mention any names of eyewitnesses and what cases it based it's story on?

If the actor was Paul Robertson aka Mark Hoyt aka David Evans then it was Bogus.

I don't know. I haven't watched it yet.. lol

One thing that I'm finding very irritating is the reactions of some of the people here. They seem to have the mindset of "it's a movie, so it's automatically bull****." And then they say stupid things like "You should probably be informed that ET also wasn't real."

This attitude is angering to me for two reasons.

One. The assumption that "It's a movie this it's BS." Despite the claims made by the movies production team that it is based on actual events and/or a true story. This is a very closed minded way of looking at things..

Don't get me wrong, I'm a strong believer in "You should keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.", but you also have to remember that you can't learn anything if you keep your mind so tightly shut that no new information can get it...

Two. The attitude of "You should probably be informed that ET also wasn't real."...

Really? You're acting like my question was so absurd that I must be some retard that thinks all movies are depicting actual events..

This movie(The Fourth Kind) was hyped sense day one that it is based off a true story and that everything we are going to see is the re-enactments of eye witness testimonies and claims made under hypnosis(I would like to address the validity of Hypnosis in another thread), so YES, there is the questing of "Is this true?" And it is a damn valid question..

But let's be honest, you wise asses know all that before you posted your wise ass comments, so I'm going to just cut through the **** and say "**** you too buddy. ;)"

Now at that's all been said. I would like to thank those of you who took the question seriously and answered the question like a mature reasonable adult to the best of your abilities.

I haven't looked over the evidence you have put forward proving that the movie was I fact a load of crap based off crap, but I had recently heard that the scientist has not ever been confirmed to have ever actually existed witching the scientific community, so this is looking pretty debunked already..

One. The assumption that "It's a movie this it's BS." Despite the claims made by the movies production team that it is based on actual events and/or a true story. This is a very closed minded way of looking at things..

There's a lot of movies out there that claim to be based on real events (or even ARE based on real events) that are effectively a load of horse hockey.

Pearl Harbour and it's depiction of the Battle of Britain for example. Or Uwhateveritwas which showed AMERICAN forces seizing the first functional Enigma cypher machine from the Nazis, when in reality it was the British who did that.

Ironically, it's things like Indiana Jones, which says exactly what it is (escapist fun), that gets history more right (the Nazis WERE digging up half the globe looking for artifacts and DID believe that having them will give them the powers of the gods) then "historical movies".

As for anything that claims to show aliens I'm inherently dubious, as they always seem to go hand in glove with claims of "Men in Black", and they'd be doing a rubbish job of covering things up if they let people keep videos of aliens.

• Like 2

In the opening to the movie Fargo, it says the movie is a true story based upon real events.

But it's no such thing. It's a story made up by the Coen Brothers, but they thought it would be clever to simply say it's based upon true events. Why not? The whole thing is fiction so why can't the claim that it's real be part of the fiction?

If you want to find out if a movie is an accurate rendition of a true story then the last thing you should be looking for as evidence is a claim by the movie makers themselves that it's an accurate and true story. Hollywood has an extremely poor history of claiming that movies are accurate depictions of reality.

Two. The attitude of "You should probably be informed that ET also wasn't real."...
Who said that in this thread?
But let's be honest, you wise asses know all that before you posted your wise ass comments, so I'm going to just cut through the **** and say "**** you too buddy. ;)"
You need to grow a thicker skin if you react like that to a thread like this. There's really nothing in this thread so far (unless a moderator has done a clean up job I'm not aware of) deserving this kind of reaction from you.
  • Like 2

So they straight up lied to us?

Google is your friend.

• Like 1

I don't know. I haven't watched it yet.. lol

One thing that I'm finding very irritating is the reactions of some of the people here. They seem to have the mindset of "it's a movie, so it's automatically bull****." And then they say stupid things like "You should probably be informed that ET also wasn't real."

This attitude is angering to me for two reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a strong believer in "You should keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.", but you also have to remember that you can't learn anything if you keep your mind so tightly shut that no new information can get it...

Really? You're acting like my question was so absurd that I must be some retard that thinks all movies are depicting actual events..

This movie(The Fourth Kind) was hyped sense day one that it is based off a true story and that everything we are going to see is the re-enactments of eye witness testimonies and claims made under hypnosis(I would like to address the validity of Hypnosis in another thread), so YES, there is the questing of "Is this true?" And it is a damn valid question..

Now at that's all been said. I would like to thank those of you who took the question seriously and answered the question like a mature reasonable adult to the best of your abilities.

I haven't looked over the evidence you have put forward proving that the movie was I fact a load of crap based off crap, but I had recently heard that the scientist has not ever been confirmed to have ever actually existed witching the scientific community, so this is looking pretty debunked already..

If I came across to being a jerk then I apologize. But If you've seen the documentaries on Animal Planet about the Mermaids

it had a lot of people fooled. I always thought of AP as a credible source of info on documentaries but when those 2 mermaid

shows aired and the alleged Dr. Paul Robertson turned out to be an actor, it made me exercise more caution. I'm not discounting

the possibilities of undiscovered cryptids or possible alien visitation but one needs to tread the waters with care.