Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia Kills Carbon Tax

OverSword

It's funny how so many people try to demonize Americans as uneducated hicks because not everyone buys that humanity is the primary driving force behind our climate. So now let the Australia bashing begin

From the article:

With final approval of the Senate on July 17, Australia officially became the first developed nation to repeal itsdeeply controversial tax on emissions of carbon dioxide, dealing a major setback to proponents of increasingly discredited man-made “global warming” theories. Climate realists worldwide celebrated the historic development, while enraged global-warming theorists furiously lashed out at Australian lawmakers. Analysts also noted that the repeal, shepherded through by conservative Prime Minister Tony Abbott, could be a foreshadowing of much bigger problems for the widely criticized United Nations anti-CO2 crusade.

Of course, the new Australian leader actually rose to power in a landslide last year by promising the public that he would repeal the economy-crushing tax on CO2 emissions. Despite opposition from climate alarmists in the Labour Party and other smaller parties — extreme Greens Party boss Christine Milne even claimed Australia would become a “global pariah”

story here

• Like 2

No, lets not bash Australians, lets bash our government.

Elected on a protest vote against the previous government, governing for the big end of town, willfully ignoring or oppressing the voices raised in opposition/against government policy (the Climate Change Commission axed, the ABC and SBS funding slashed, Non-Government Organizations told "don't you dare use government funding to raise legal action against the government or risk losing that funding", refugees treated like Prisoners of War, no science portfolio in government, a man who's previously expressed opinions about women running to the "barefoot and pregnant" end of the spectrum as "minister for women", a foreign minister who's previous job was stalling court cases in the hope the victims of asbestosis die rather then get compensation, International Alliances risked, Indigenous Communities slandered....

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm going by memory here, but didn't Gillard run on the stance of No Carbon Tax, and then immediately put one into effect after election?

• Like 3

Good, get rid of all sin taxes.

I never really understood how taxing carbon was suppose to fight climate change. Maybe im ignorant on the issue but I dont see how taxing it would make people use any less power people still use the same amount , all it would do it make people loose money

• Like 3

Here in BC, Canada we have a 6.5% carbon tax added to gasoline sales.

Just curious. .. does anybody know where that money goes and how it's used to combat AGW?

Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm going by memory here, but didn't Gillard run on the stance of No Carbon Tax, and then immediately put one into effect after election?

Well yes.

You expect politicians to lie. You don't expect politicians to basically run around intentionally and continuously p***ing everyone off!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious. .. does anybody know where that money goes and how it's used to combat AGW?

No. However, petrol taxes in NZ are used to partially fund the part of the state insurance company that pays out claims to people involved in car accidents.

It's funny how so many people try to demonize Americans as uneducated hicks because not everyone buys that humanity is the primary driving force behind our climate. So now let the Australia bashing begin

From the article:

With final approval of the Senate on July 17, Australia officially became the first developed nation to repeal itsdeeply controversial tax on emissions of carbon dioxide, dealing a major setback to proponents of increasingly discredited man-made “global warming” theories. Climate realists worldwide celebrated the historic development, while enraged global-warming theorists furiously lashed out at Australian lawmakers. Analysts also noted that the repeal, shepherded through by conservative Prime Minister Tony Abbott, could be a foreshadowing of much bigger problems for the widely criticized United Nations anti-CO2 crusade.

Of course, the new Australian leader actually rose to power in a landslide last year by promising the public that he would repeal the economy-crushing tax on CO2 emissions. Despite opposition from climate alarmists in the Labour Party and other smaller parties — extreme Greens Party boss Christine Milne even claimed Australia would become a “global pariah”

story here

Bash away old mate. The Carbon Tax was one that the previous government promised would never be imposed on Australia. Another bloody lie, it was imposed.

Like most of the previous governments schemes, it was poorly thought out and implemented, like the NBN Rollout and the Home Insulation Scheme.

I have no doubt that once the current government gets us out of the financial pit the others left us in, measures to reduce carbon emissions will be implemented.

• Like 2

Well yes.

You expect politicians to lie. You don't expect politicians to basically run around intentionally and continuously p***ing everyone off!

But that's what Gillard did.

The most detested Prime Minister in Australian history I reckon.

Good, get rid of all sin taxes.

I never really understood how taxing carbon was suppose to fight climate change. Maybe im ignorant on the issue but I dont see how taxing it would make people use any less power people still use the same amount , all it would do it make people loose money

The problem is the coal and oil fired power stations which some states have, as well as large industrial complexes powered by coal or oil.

In my little home state, we have the luxury of Hydro Electric systems, clean renewable energy.

But that's what Gillard did.

The most detested Prime Minister in Australian history I reckon.

Mister Rabbit's getting close - unless you read the Murdoch press.

I don't really think so. Sure there are complaints about the budget, but given the big black financial hole left by Labor, we all have to do what we can.

I don't really think so. Sure there are complaints about the budget, but given the big black financial hole left by Labor, we all have to do what we can.

We obviously move in different circles, as everything the man does seems to get lambasted.

wasn't Canada thinking of doing the same thing, i know Australia and Canada offered an alliance to the United Kingdom to join them.

from june 2014

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10888566/Britain-must-join-our-combined-front-against-unhealthy-action-on-climate-change-says-Australia-PM.html

We obviously move in different circles, as everything the man does seems to get lambasted.

By his oponents for sure.

Some people can never be satisfied.

As a fellow Canadian I think it goes into general rev lol

For saying stupid things though, not making stupid decisions. That's the big difference. BDT - Big Dumb Tony. Not our highest intellectual power of all time granted, but not the worst PM by a long shot either. Or ever half as bad as Gillard/Rudd was.

Besides, I find his disarming, he looks heaps like Freddo Frog.

freddo-frog.jpg

Tony-Abbott-Budget.jpg

For saying stupid things though, not making stupid decisions. That's the big difference. BDT - Big Dumb Tony. Not our highest intellectual power of all time granted, but not the worst PM by a long shot either. Or ever half as bad as Gillard/Rudd was.

Besides, I find his disarming, he looks heaps like Freddo Frog.

freddo-frog.jpg

Tony-Abbott-Budget.jpg

What a mean thing to say about our beloved PM- A FROG???

Yes, Tony does have the propensity to say things that he doen't really mean, but I agree with you, I'd take ten Tony's rather than one harping, gravel voiced, vindictive Gillard, or one supercillious, arrogant and not altogether truthful Rudd.

• Like 1

What a mean thing to say about our beloved PM- A FROG???

LOL, it was meant as a compliment though...... :D I mean - who doesn't love a Freddo Frog!!

And that big harmless smile......... :D

Yes, Tony does have the propensity to say things that he doen't really mean, but I agree with you, I'd take ten Tony's rather than one harping, gravel voiced, vindictive Gillard, or one supercillious, arrogant and not altogether truthful Rudd.

That was one of the most embarrassing terms in the Australian history of Parliament I reckon. The schoolyard antics will be remembered for ever - not the best legacy for you first female PM to leave behind IMHO. I honestly do not mind Tony, and find most people who really hate him, do not have any good reason. I have asked a good 20 people who made instant nad remarks about him "what do you not like about him" and the answer is either speedos, or he is scared of women. Never his policies, never his actions, never what he he done or proposed to do. It's a bit of an embarrassment that so many people are still led by the nose in a country where voting is mandatory, and most people have a decent understanding of politics. Yet we could not have messed up more than we did with Kevin 07. Biggest mistake Australia has made in a good 20 years.

• Like 1

I agree with you-but back to topic, once the government has put some money back into the bank, I reckon we'll get a carbon Tax, or the much misunderstood Carbon Emissions Trading Scheme, we've got to something responsible about the air pollution.