Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keel M.

Enola Gay navigator dies at 93

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

May he rest in peace.

ATLANTA (AP) — The last surviving member of the crew that dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima once said he thought the bombing was necessary because it shortened the war and eliminated the need for an Allied land invasion that could have cost more lives on both sides.

But Theodore "Dutch" VanKirk also said it made him wary of war - and that he would like to see all of the world's atomic bombs abolished.

http://news.yahoo.co...-210637939.html

Edited by Child of Bast

End of an era. 93 is a damn good age though.

I was able to sit in the cockpit of the Enola Gay when I was kid. They flew it in for an airshow at Hancock Air field in Syracuse back in the 80's. It's an experience that I will never forget.

2 people like this

My uncle survived the war despite being a prisoner of the Japanese from early 1942. My dad survived the war despite being involved in fighting against the Japanese, in the end at Tarakan. I don't know whether dropping the atomic bombs shortened the war sufficiently to make a difference to their survival, but I certainly have no criticism of President Truman for his decision to authorise their use.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

It sure is an end of an era. These guys will never be forgotten .there a part of history RIP Dutch.

I sat in the cockpit of the B 29 FIFI

Edited by coolguy
1 person likes this