Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Please Help!’: Ebay User Begs Bidders

Brian Topp

Ebay is a one-stop shop for practically every item imaginable, including — according to one listing — an old cane chair that the seller says is “haunted by a poltergeist.”

Andre Williams, an Australian Ebay user known as *truevintage*, is currently listing the chair as part of what he called an “experiment in human behavior and human psychology,” with the opening bid set at $25. But anyone looking to purchase it immediately can do so for $666, a figure known for its association with the biblical figure of the Antichrist.

to read more http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/07/31/please-help-ebay-user-begs-buyers-to-purchase-666-wicker-chair-that-is-haunted-by-a-poltergeist-but-theres-something-else-you-need-to-know-about-the-creepy-listing/

Well his bids have since gone up, and I dont see a buy it now price for $666

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-1900s-cane-chair-haunted-by-poltergeist-/231292629520?pt=AU_Antique_Furniture&hash=item35da1d7210

So yeh its just a tall tale trying to sell old tat! If something in my home caused crying sounds and kept moving, I'd have set up my camera on it for evidence!

• Like 2

http://www.ebay.com....=item35da1d7210

So yeh its just a tall tale trying to sell old tat! If something in my home caused crying sounds and kept moving, I'd have set up my camera on it for evidence!

The way the guy is twisting the tale is to avoid getting in trouble with ebay. Ebay does not approve of people selling haunted products because of customer disappointment.

• Like 2

“People get so caught up in [supernatural things] that they want to make it true, they believe what they want to believe. It was a bit of experiment in human behavior and human psychology,” he told the outlet, noting that he will reinvent the chair as something else and re-post if it doesn’t sell.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/07/31/please-help-ebay-user-begs-buyers-to-purchase-666-wicker-chair-that-is-haunted-by-a-poltergeist-but-theres-something-else-you-need-to-know-about-the-creepy-listing/

Does trading standards law not apply? He lied, he has admitted it, so Ebay should not only remove the listing, but not allow him to use their site again.

• Like 3

"There's a sucker born every minute" Attributed to PT Barnum.

And sadly, a buyer.
  • Like 6

The buy it now option is void once someone places a bid.

I'm surprised eBay haven't pulled this auction for false advertising, they probably would if they knew about it. Just because it has bids it doesn't mean the winner will actually pay. The bidders could just be stringing him along and have no intention of paying.

• Like 2

This old chair originated from the hard rubbish of an old 1880s house in Boronia, Victoria. After a week of having it in the house, I heard some crying during the night(I thought I was dreaming). Then in the morning I noticed that the chair was on It's side. I didn't connect the dots until it happened several times over two years. Sometimes there is laughing accompanied by tapping noises. As the chair is always in a different spot afterwards( moves up to three meters )leaving shallow dent marks across the floor, I figure It is being bumped along under weight as the chair itself is fairly light.

Recently I found the marks going up the wall and along the plaster ceiling. Please believe me, I am not crazy. Whenever I hear the crying, the chair is always found on its side. As yet I have not caught anyone or thing in the act. There are severe scratch marks on the front curve of the arms like someone has been aggressively dragging their fingernails. Some crude repair work has been carried out with wire binding and reattachment of some cane supports are needed but I am too afraid to touch the chair. There are also permanent dents in my floor now so I would be glad to get rid of it and pass it on to someone who has had experience with this kind of thing. Please help!!!

This is the text, Then font he had hurt my eyes.

• Like 2

There is always a buyer for this kind of crap ...

A haunted jar of farts $400

Bintney Spears hair clippings ...on the same day she went doolally and shaved her barnet $1000

A pair of bubblewrap underpants $300

Ya gotta lurve eBay :D

• Like 4

I think I might go and list 'The Breath Of Our Lord' ...in which section would I list that do you think? Should I do a Buy It Now?

I AM a power seller ...also high rated, I'm onto a winner for shooer!

• Like 2

There is always a buyer for this kind of crap ...

A haunted jar of farts $400

Bintney Spears hair clippings ...on the same day she went doolally and shaved her barnet $1000

A pair of bubblewrap underpants $300

Ya gotta lurve eBay :D

No way! haunted farts?? I can do that....haunted weetabix farts.

• Like 2

The way the guy is twisting the tale is to avoid getting in trouble with ebay. Ebay does not approve of people selling haunted products because of customer disappointment.

If someone is disappointed because the chair they bought on Ebay isn't doing add things, then they deserve the loss of their money.

There was a haunted statue like this a while ago. The seller came in here and turned out to be a total fraud. Thankfully a UM member was able to get an admission out of him. Wanted to sell a bunch of them on ebay.

I have a whole attic full of..."haunted junk artefacts, I will happily part with each one for the esoteric sum of £666 each.

I'm not an Ebay user so I don't really no much about it be if you are buying things in a different country with different currency would the price be converted to your own currency thus eliminating the $666 thing.

I'm not an Ebay user so I don't really no much about it be if you are buying things in a different country with different currency would the price be converted to your own currency thus eliminating the $666 thing.

The buy it now option of $666 was cancelled as soon as someone placed a bid, the auction since then accepts bidders only.

The guy's listed payment method accepted is PayPal or Cash On Delivery. If a buyer is from another country then he/she will have to pay by PayPal and the payment is automatically converted by PayPal to the currency of the seller.

The buy it now option of $666 was cancelled as soon as someone placed a bid, the auction since then accepts bidders only.

The guy's listed payment method accepted is PayPal or Cash On Delivery. If a buyer is from another country then he/she will have to pay by PayPal and the payment is automatically converted by PayPal to the currency of the seller.

That's cool. I was meaning more from a display point of view as in an Australian dollar not equaling a Zimbabwe dollar sort of thing. As in $1 AUD would show as $9.29 ZWD for someone in Zimbabwe. Edited by Timmeh

That's cool. I was meaning more from a display point of view as in an Australian dollar not equaling a Zimbabwe dollar sort of thing. As in $1 AUD would show as $9.29 ZWD for someone in Zimbabwe.

I'm looking at the auction listing right now and I'm not in Australia. It's showing for me as Current bid: AU $207.50. I think if I try to place a bid the amount will convert as it's prompting me to sign in first, if I do the cookies will recognise my country and show me the current status in my own currency.

I'm looking at the auction listing right now and I'm not in Australia. It's showing for me as Current bid: AU $207.50. I think if I try to place a bid the amount will convert as it's prompting me to sign in first, if I do the cookies will recognise my country and show me the current status in my own currency.

Who knows, you could even win it. :cry:

Who knows, you could even win it. :cry:

lol No thanks! I've no intention of logging in to even view it.

• Like 1

People will bid on stuff but have no intentions of paying.

If someone is disappointed because the chair they bought on Ebay isn't doing add things, then they deserve the loss of their money.

BUT the GOOD thing with ebay is they protect the buyers, if the item isnt as described, a refund is arranged by ebay! So in reality, if the sale goes ahead and someone buys it, they can then rightfully get their money back by saying its not haunted as described :lol:

BTW just rechecked to see how much the bidding was, I nearly fell out the chair to see $500 delivery costs

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-1900s-cane-chair-haunted-by-poltergeist-/231292629520?pt=AU_Antique_Furniture&hash=item35da1d7210

• Like 1

BUT the GOOD thing with ebay is they protect the buyers, if the item isnt as described, a refund is arranged by ebay! So in reality, if the sale goes ahead and someone buys it, they can then rightfully get their money back by saying its not haunted as described :lol:

BTW just rechecked to see how much the bidding was, I nearly fell out the chair to see $500 delivery costs

HOW MUCH FOR DELIVERY!!!!

Well for that i would want the chair to be delivered by spirits with the ghost still sitting in it!

• Like 1