Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seeder

Big Brother surveillance in your workplace?

7 posts in this topic

The next time you talk to someone at work who's wearing a name badge, look at it very closely - it might not actually be a badge at all, but a sensor. It might be telling your employer who you're talking to and in what sort of tone of voice, writes Lucy Kellaway.

This isn't a brave new world; this is now.

Such devices are dirt cheap and companies are increasingly taking note. It's pretty scary. Yet is the arrival of Big Brother in the corporate world quite such a bad thing?

Being constantly monitored by invisible devices might sound terrifying but I'm not sure it is any more so than being monitored infrequently by visible human beings.

Under the present arrangement, we are observed in a haphazard and unscientific way by superiors who may well have made their minds up about us already, based on not much evidence at all.

Sod's Law decrees that when you do something good, no-one notices but the minute you do something bad you get caught.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27813535

The place I work already monitors us heavily. We have cameras pointed directly at our desks. They also listen to conversations and I know of one case when an employee has been disciplined for comments made about management that were heard over the camera/voice system.

I always thought that CCTV was fine to record and keep, but recording conversations was illegal.

2 people like this

No freedom of speech? everyone knows that management are seagull powered, as in they swoop in on occasion to sh!t on everyone and then fly off.

1 person likes this

The next time you talk to someone at work who's wearing a name badge, look at it very closely - it might not actually be a badge at all, but a sensor. It might be telling your employer who you're talking to and in what sort of tone of voice, writes Lucy Kellaway.

This isn't a brave new world; this is now.

Such devices are dirt cheap and companies are increasingly taking note. It's pretty scary. Yet is the arrival of Big Brother in the corporate world quite such a bad thing?

Being constantly monitored by invisible devices might sound terrifying but I'm not sure it is any more so than being monitored infrequently by visible human beings.

Under the present arrangement, we are observed in a haphazard and unscientific way by superiors who may well have made their minds up about us already, based on not much evidence at all.

Sod's Law decrees that when you do something good, no-one notices but the minute you do something bad you get caught.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-27813535

"But so long as everyone knew they were being monitored and understood what for, I don't see why it should be such a terrifying idea - except perhaps for those who bully, shout at or harass others and who have until now been getting away with it"

The good old "if you're not doing anything wrong, you'll have nothing to worry about" argument again. Surly there's great scope there, particularly in areas like Government and media, for Management to make sure that the drones were thinking and saying the Right things and following the official line. Isn't it interesting how people now say "actually it seems quite a good idea because they already do it anyway", rather than being angry that they do already do it.

The place I work already monitors us heavily. We have cameras pointed directly at our desks. They also listen to conversations and I know of one case when an employee has been disciplined for comments made about management that were heard over the camera/voice system.

I always thought that CCTV was fine to record and keep, but recording conversations was illegal.

Well the last 3 firms I worked for, all had security swipe tags to enter the building, which recorded the time, and also recorded all in/out activity on that tag. The data wasnt really examined unless there were issues... then, logging onto the works PC's obviously records also, time that you did that, how long the pc was active/in use, what web pages were browsed... then...all phone calls were recorded, and I know for a fact but never witnessed it, that the IT manager could 'watch' your screen remotely.

So short of having CCTV IN the office, and short of ID tags as per the article that may film/record you... you were pretty much 'tracked' all day long

1 person likes this

Same for me, swipe card granting access, computer activity logged..etc

it's all standard these days..

thoguht it was how much you get paid? swiping in adn out