Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
Likely Guy

My New Frontyard

42 posts in this topic

As the crow flies the mine is about 15 - 20 miles away. Yesterday everything was normal. Early this morning the dam that holds their tailings was breached. A small lake of human sewage, arsenic and sulphides flowed into what was once a pristine lake as well as the second deepest lake in Canada.

Yeah, the 'human sewage' part? When Mt. Polley shipped copper and gold concentrates to the coast for shipment to Asia they noticed that on the return trip the trucks were going back empty. So, a steward of our resources figured that it was a good idea that we sent sewage from Vancouver all the way up here, in trucks, and fill this man-made storage pond on the edge of a mountain. The arsenic and heavy metals were just a by-product of the mine.

Long story short? My village of Likely, B.C., Canada is economically and environmentally screwed.

300 are out of work, a complete water ban is in force and a salmon run is about to be destroyed. The company responsible hasn't issued a statement all day and their stock went up 9 cents. Go figure?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mount-polley-mine-tailings-pond-breach-complete-water-ban-in-place-1.2727171

http://www.imperialmetals.com/s/MountPolleyMine.asp?ReportID=584863

https://www.facebook.com/CRDEmergencyOperations

An update, and more information, "five million cubic metres of tailings pond effluent from the Mount Polley copper and gold mine was released early Monday into Hazeltine Creek."

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mount-polley-mine-tailings-pond-breach-called-environmental-disaster-1.2727171

Jesus that's awful im sorry to hear that man

1 person likes this

My sincerest condolences. You're saying your town has been killed - how unthinkable. I'm not sure of Canadian law of course but here in the states such a disaster would be met with legal claims forever. Hopefully that company has respectfully deep pockets.

1 person likes this

That is really disgusting. Is there a way you can bring this to wider attention and so that more people are aware of these terrible activities?

1 person likes this

So sorry to hear that LG.

It makes one wonder if chimps could not do a better job of keeping their resources clean. :cry:

1 person likes this

Heard about this. As a fellow BCer I feel your pain. :/

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the thoughts.

The worst part is that it's been over 24 hours and there's still no statement from the mine.

Edited by Likely Guy

Thanks for the thoughts.

The worst part is that it's been over 24 hours and there's still no statement from the mine.

Of course not. They're too busy securing and moving their financial assets out of the country. /sarcasm

2 people like this

Thanks for the thoughts.

Like they will say anything unless their arm is slightly twisted. Sorry to hear about your neighborhood.

1 person likes this

Had a town meeting today.

There was so much media and people from out of town that attended the community meeting that the locals couldn't get in to the hall. It's just as well though, because apparently the pat answers to any hard question was either, "I can't answer that because it's still too early." or "Because it's so early, I can't answer that question."

Thanks for the meeting Imperial Metals. The CEO was quoted as saying, "We don't know for sure that there were any toxins in the tailings pond." In other words, "We'll deny everything until it's proven. In the meantime our priority is to protect our shareholders."

Posted (edited)

Here's some hard numbers (mind you, this was just went in last year. This mine has operated for 15 years) :

Mount Polley mine on-site disposal in 2013:

• Arsenic (and its compounds): 406 tonnes
  • Lead (and its compounds) 177 tonnes
  • Nickel (and its compounds) 326 tonnes
  • Vanadium (except when in an alloy): 5,047 tonnes
  • Zinc (and its compounds): 2,169 tonnes
  • Cadmium (and its compounds): 6 tonnes
  • Cobalt (and its compounds): 475 tonnes
  • Phosphorus (total): 41,640 tonnes
  • Copper (and its compounds): 18,413 tonnes
  • Antimony (and its compounds) 14 tonnes
  • Manganese (and its compounds): 20,988 tonnes
  • Mercury (and its compounds): 3 tonnes
  • Selenium (and its compounds): 46 tonnes

These facts follow after the headline; "Mount Polley Mine tailings water 'very close' to drinking quality, company says"

Source here: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-says-1.2727776

Edited by Likely Guy
1 person likes this

How was this allowed to happen in this day and age?

Not allowed, just everyone ignoring the problem for years until this happened :(

1 person likes this

Not allowed, just everyone ignoring the problem for years until this happened :(

Like most other environmental problems. As log as the Ruble rolls nobody asks no questions.... until somebody gets poisoned.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Through either negligence or incompetence on behalf of the company and lack of over-sight on behalf of the government. Our provincial government, in my opinion, is overly business friendly. To "cut costs" they allow the mines to monitor themselves and provide reports to the appropriate Ministries.

Edited by Likely Guy

Well, it's day 3. Late tomorrow night the first results from the water samples should be done. We won't hear until Friday. That should be interesting.

Tonight there was a prayer vigil down by the river and tomorrow there's a healing ceremony provided by our local First-Nations.

Will let everyone know how things turn out.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Really, when I titled this thread 'My New Frontyard' I didn't think that today, four days later, I would have Global tv and CBC tv, three cabinet ministers, the premier, citizens of Likely as well as the Alkali, Sugar Cane, Soda Creek and Red Bluff bands occupy my front yard for most of the day. When I say, 'my' frontyard, it is literally 'my' front yard that looks out at the river.

The best part though, was the healing ceremony that was held. Yeah, I had a knot in my throat and a tear in the corner of my eye for most of the time.

The elders spoke and the drummers drummed while everyone prayed in a circle. We later buddied up, a Non and Native team of two, alike. Everyone had the same charcoal smears on our foreheads and cheeks (it's a great 'equalizer' if we're all marked the same - they insisted that the media and the RCMP were also smeared) and a small tobacco offering was placed in everyone's hands.

We filed up and onto the bridge and the RCMP dutifully stopped traffic (as their wont to do) while about 300 people listened to the songs and drums, and made their offering.

Later, there was excellent bannock.

Later, the government told us, "Everthing's okay. Yeah, the results that we took four days ago are great. They're so far above provincial and federal acceptable drinking standards!" (I paraphrased a bit there.)

They also took those tests way down lake of the spill, on the day of the spill. There isn't a hope in hell that the metals and toxins could have reached to those test sights they sampled from, at that time. That will take decades. One of the only three test sights that they took water from, was literally my front yard. I live at the extreme outflow of the lake. How in the heck did they expect that the heavy metal sludge raced its' way down the lake faster than the branches and bushes that are now banked up against the bridge?

What they did prove today though was that, as of last Monday afternoon, Quesnel Lake used to be pristine. In a lot of cases it used to be less than 1/100th of acceptable levels of toxins and heavy metals.

It will 'disperse' they say, and still remain within acceptable levels, they 'think'.

These guys parked on my lawn today: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...lines-1.2730042

Edited by Likely Guy
3 people like this

Really, when I titled this thread 'My New Frontyard' I didn't think that today, four days later, I would have Global tv and CBC tv, three cabinet ministers, the premier, citizens of Likely as well as the Alkali, Sugar Cane, Soda Creek and Red Bluff bands occupy my front yard for most of the day. When I say, 'my' frontyard, it is literally 'my' front yard that looks out at the river.

The best part though, was the healing ceremony that was held. Yeah, I had a knot in my throat and a tear in the corner of my eye for most of the time.

The elders spoke and the drummers drummed while everyone prayed in a circle. We later buddied up, a Non and Native team of two, alike. Everyone had the same charcoal smears on our foreheads and cheeks (it's a great 'equalizer' if we're all marked the same - they insisted that the media and the RCMP were also smeared) and a small tobacco offering was placed in everyone's hands.

We filed up and onto the bridge and the RCMP dutifully stopped traffic (as their wont to do) while about 300 people listened to the songs and drums, and made their offering.

Later, there was excellent bannock.

Later, the government told us, "Everthing's okay. Yeah, the results that we took four days ago are great. They're so far above provincial and federal acceptable drinking standards!" (I paraphrased a bit there.)

They also took those tests way down lake of the spill, on the day of the spill. There isn't a hope in hell that the metals and toxins could have reached to those test sights they sampled from, at that time. That will take decades. One of the only three test sights that they took water from, was literally my front yard. I live at the extreme outflow of the lake. How in the heck did they expect that the heavy metal sludge raced its' way down the lake faster than the branches and bushes that are now banked up against the bridge?

What they did prove today though was that, as of last Monday afternoon, Quesnel Lake used to be pristine. In a lot of cases it used to be less than 1/100th of acceptable levels of toxins and heavy metals.

It will 'disperse' they say, and still remain within acceptable levels, they 'think'.

These guys parked on my lawn today: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...lines-1.2730042

Tell the Premier to drink a tumbler full of it.

3 people like this

Tell the Premier to drink a tumbler full of it.

knowing the kind of idiots politicians are he might...

1 person likes this

knowing the kind of idiots politicians are he might...

He's a she , just saying...

1 person likes this

He's a she , just saying...

knowing the kind of idiots politicians are she might...

Better?

knowing the kind of idiots politicians are she might...

Better?

Yes :w00t:

Though to be fair, while our premier ain't the best politician in the world, she is better then the other candidates :unsure2:

1 person likes this

It breaks my heart to hear about that, Likely Guy...