Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do animals have immortal lives like humans?

Alan McDougall

Humans are animals

In one sense yes we are animals, but animals that know that they will one day have to die, however we humans unlike other animals are capable of depravity.

Animals have innocent souls and I really hope God has included them into the afterlife?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If God doesn't include all animals in an afterlife it's no heaven that I want to be in, and it would be a p*** poor design of an afterlife. I grew up with the oldschool beliefs of a very insecure God who only used animals for human purposes and other nonsensical rhetoric. Count me out now if I'm not going to be reunited with my dog.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/5/2014 at 2:21 PM, JJ50 said:

Hopefully there is no afterlife, for humans or animals.

So you would prefer to cease to exist the moment after death, what a bleak hope is that? And do the same for all other ,living things?

• Like 1

On 8/5/2014 at 10:10 AM, Paranoid Android said:

Flies, stink bugs, maggots, mosquitos... If the OP's dog goes to heaven, what about these creatures? Bacteria? Or is it just animals us humans like that get there? Wild dogs? No? Perhaps animals that we humans attach to - still human-centric but possible. Though cows present difficulty, one Aussie comedian spoke of his milking cow, Betsy. Does she make it but the poor battery cow find its end in a McDonald's Big Mac (a fate none deserve).

Assuming the afterlife exists, and the OP did put that assumption there, there would have to be a selection criteria of some kind, and being self aware beings, we seem to be the judges here. I could perhaps see a loved family pet being there simply because it brings comfort to the one to which it is attached, but if an after life exists, it's human-centric.

Though if an afterlife didn't exist then the question is moot to begin with. Those are my thoughts :)

If there is an afterlife for non-humans, I would suppose there has to be the ability to have some sort of self awareness.  So yes some animals could have an afterlife, but some no.....however I have no idea which ones ;-).   Yet St Paul states that all of creation longs for the coming of the fulfillment of all things being restored in Christ.....we don't know much.  I think if our hopes are based on reality, they we must have the ability to be surprised......if atheist are right....well ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's for eternity.

Peace
mark

Edited by markdohle
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2014 at 5:57 AM, Lilly said:

If my dogs can't go to Heaven I'm not going either.

Mark Twain said something along the lines of (and I paraphrase): "Entry to Heaven must be by favour, because if it went by merit most people would be kept out and dogs would be allowed in".

I had one of my most beloved dogs taken to be blessed on St Francis day by a priest. The ceremony was beautiful. It included that the soul of an animal becomes as a person's to follow one into heaven. Heaven would not be heaven without our beloved pets who serve us and love us here. 

I told people after that  my dog is  a Catholic now, even though I'm not :)

I had this weird phenomena going on at a house I used to live at. I used to have the cat pan in the office, where I spent a fair amount of time on my computer. Don't ask me why I didn't pick a better place for it, but where is there a good place for a box of s*** in your house? 

Anyway, after the death of the cat, there was no need for the box. It was removed from the corner, washed, and donated somewhere. That said, not only did I hear the very recognizable sound of the cat scratching in the litter box coming from the particular corner where it used to be...but other people also heard it. And sometimes, the cat's rather distinct meow. 

I have no idea why there would be a litter box in the afterlife. If there is an afterlife, I sure hope litter boxes aren't a part of it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I had this weird phenomena going on at a house I used to live at. I used to have the cat pan in the office, where I spent a fair amount of time on my computer. Don't ask me why I didn't pick a better place for it, but where is there a good place for a box of s*** in your house? 

Anyway, after the death of the cat, there was no need for the box. It was removed from the corner, washed, and donated somewhere. That said, not only did I hear the very recognizable sound of the cat scratching in the litter box coming from the particular corner where it used to be...but other people also heard it. And sometimes, the cat's rather distinct meow. 

I have no idea why there would be a litter box in the afterlife. If there is an afterlife, I sure hope litter boxes aren't a part of it. 

Yes there are accounts of people experiencing ghosts of animals.

• Like 1

Just now, Alan McDougall said:

Yes there are accounts of people experiencing ghosts of animals.

But why would it still be using a litter box? I would think after death, the need for a litter box would cease.

It's almost like the cat had visited the litter box so many times that the repetition of it sort of got "locked in," somehow. Maybe in the way some people believe in "residual hauntings." 

• Like 1

If animals have immortal souls, does that apply to microbes?  Insects?  Tapeworms?  Deadly viruses?

I think maybe a distinction between animals that are sentient and those that are mainly driven by wired reflexes may be useful, but it too is problematic since it seems sentience evolved from the emotions we see in animals to the self-aware consciousness we see in humans and a few other species.

5 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Part of heaven for kitty is different then yours, kitty has fun with litter. I imagine you wouldn't have to clean it for kitty though :)

On 8/5/2014 at 2:57 AM, Lilly said:

If my dogs can't go to Heaven I'm not going either.

Mark Twain said something along the lines of (and I paraphrase): "Entry to Heaven must be by favour, because if it went by merit most people would be kept out and dogs would be allowed in".

That sentiment was present in the Mahbaharta, the epic Vedic poem in Sanskrit.  Only a loyal dog is left when the hero Yudhishthira reaches the end.  Dogs were not well liked in India, maybe because people lived and ate on the floor.  In any case, the dog was refused access into heaven so Yudhishthira declined to enter also. That was written about 400BCE.  Of course people that believe in reincarnation would of necessity believe animals had souls.  Native American spirituality usually puts man in the midst of creation rather than above it.   Many people attributed knowledge and teaching of medicine to bears.  

Those religions that currently dominate the center of human thought  seem to think man is singular, unique, and apart from the rest of creation, hence the only creature with a soul.  It was not always thus.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

That sentiment was present in the Mahbaharta, the epic Vedic poem in Sanskrit.  Only a loyal dog is left when the hero Yudhishthira reaches the end.  Dogs were not well liked in India, maybe because people lived and ate on the floor.  In any case, the dog was refused access into heaven so Yudhishthira declined to enter also. That was written about 400BCE.  Of course people that believe in reincarnation would of necessity believe animals had souls.  Native American spirituality usually puts man in the midst of creation rather than above it.   Many people attributed knowledge and teaching of medicine to bears.  

Those religions that currently dominate the center of human thought  seem to think man is singular, unique, and apart from the rest of creation, hence the only creature with a soul.  It was not always thus.  

Our pet dogs give absolute unconditional love are void of evil and if there is a heaven they have a much more right to it than we supposedly superior human animals! 

• Like 2

I met the first Rottie I ever owned who had long past during a astral projection. She was very happy to see me. Unfortunately in the time it took me to process what was going on, I got sent back. I miss her.  

For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.

On 7/27/2016 at 2:51 PM, preacherman76 said:

I met the first Rottie I ever owned who had long past during a astral projection. She was very happy to see me. Unfortunately in the time it took me to process what was going on, I got sent back. I miss her.  

Was your astral projection a near death experience?

BULLY MY BELOVED FRIEND

I had a black and tan mix breed dog when I was a boy over forty years ago. I got him when I was 12 and he died when I was 29.

I loved him more than life, he was the best friend I ever had much closer than a brother.

I was TOTALLY
 broken-hearted and cried for a month or more after he died. Strangely his death affected me more than the death of my beloved parents.

He became a part of me and I know God has kept him safe in heaven, waiting for my arrival with his spiritual tail wagging wildly

Our pets are all in heaven , they are/were living souls while on earth just like us. And in some sense much BETTER
 and more loving

Here is a poem I wrote about hi
m

Bully

Oh! How I remember the awful day that my beloved dog Bully died

Oh! How the uncontrolled FLOW of tears as I wept that day that and cried

At! 12 years of age I got this beautiful fat black and tan puppy

A!  Small boy I was then and so very happy

At! 29 years of age now a grown married man Bully was still my most beloved first friend

Looked at him while at Vaal the power station and saw he was near his end

He! Looked at me with suffering eyes

Yes! This was indeed the day that Bully died

What? Was I to do now for my beloved dog? What?

Oh! Oh! How I cried the day that Bully died!

OH! OH! OH! HOW Do I REMEMBER BELOVED BULLY?

By Alan Grant McDougall

Edited by Alan McDougall
Poem about the death of my beloved pet dog

All dogs go to heaven.

Fact.

And this is from a confirmed atheist.