Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Computer chip can think like a human brain

UM-Bot

IBM has developed a sophisticated new chip that works by simulating the neurons inside the human brain.

The concept of creating a 'thinking' computer has been the dream of computer engineers and futurists for years and while this latest development doesn't quite achieve that goal it does open up the door to a whole new way of performing complex tasks using computers.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...e-a-human-brain

As much as I fear the thought of an rogue A.I., I understand how much potential an A.I. would have in medical science, general science, space science, and war scenarios would have for our world. It could bring peace by coming up with scenarios that would help people get along, it could end conflicts faster and quicker without much bloodshed, it could open up new ways of space exploration and maybe enable us to travel to the stars, and it could definitely aid our evolution of medical science to extend our lives or fix our alignments or disabilities. We should be precautious, not develop an A.I. with ambition, because ambition is an runaway emotion even for humans. Can lead to disasters and even genocide like we see unfolding today with ISIL or other terrorists organizations. We even see this play out in the past, like Adolf Hitler who rounded up Jews to exterminate them and conquered nations.

Edited by Uncle Sam

As much as I fear the thought of an rogue A.I., I understand how much potential an A.I. would have in medical science, general science, space science, and war scenarios would have for our world. It could bring peace by coming up with scenarios that would help people get along, it could end conflicts faster and quicker without much bloodshed, it could open up new ways of space exploration and maybe enable us to travel to the stars, and it could definitely aid our evolution of medical science to extend our lives or fix our alignments or disabilities. We should be precautious, not develop an A.I. with ambition, because ambition is an runaway emotion even for humans. Can lead to disasters and even genocide like we see unfolding today with ISIL or other terrorists organizations. We even see this play out in the past, like Adolf Hitler who rounded up Jews to exterminate them and conquered nations.

Having a few functional neurones is NOT a sign of intelligence.

• Like 2

Having a few functional neurones is NOT a sign of intelligence.

True... but it is a start. We are actually getting on the path where in the end, we might simulate human brain or maybe develop far beyond what an single human brain can do. That is where the true A.I. is born, to be able to think and evolve on its own, without requiring coding or input from an human operator.

Asimov's Positronic Brain is on the horizon.

True... but it is a start. We are actually getting on the path where in the end, we might simulate human brain or maybe develop far beyond what an single human brain can do. That is where the true A.I. is born, to be able to think and evolve on its own, without requiring coding or input from an human operator.

It may happen, it may not. Just take the history of the computer: from Blaise Pascal's mechanical calculator to the PC it took over 350 years. And there always just one reason for the next step: the economic necessity (with one exception, that was Colossus-- the first tube computer... and no, it was not by IBM... created out of military necessity).

And, as I tried to make my students clear for years (I used to teach Introduction to Artificial Intelligence at college level) without much success: There is no natural or artificial intelligence, there is just intelligence that requires an evolution to happen. The chip does nothing except mimic whatever is programmed into it. It will take some time before it becomes intelligent.

• Like 1

Can it think of a way to make its own story interesting. Because this is not working for me.

• Like 1

If you don't understand fully how something works, how can you 'reproduce' it?

(Send it to China?)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

(Send it to China?)

Yes, but not very well...

• Like 1

A human needs a complete 20 years of learning to become mature. I hope this "artificial brain" do not become a monster without education.

(Send it to China?)

I don't fully understand how stupid people can survive without managing to drink all of the neat and colorful stuff under the sink.

And yet they keep having children.....lots and lots and lots of children.

• Like 1

There is still a general problem with AI. Even if an AI device would have the capacity, or a multiple of it,

of the human brain the device would not automatically be able by this capacity to associate in the way

the human brain does. And the capability to associate is the key indicator of intelligence.

• Like 1

Interesting developpements. Not sure how far they can take it though, as the article states it's a far cry from a Human brain. I for one do not believe that our personality that makes us individuals, our consciousness, the ''me'' is necesserily the product of a flesh computer that can be only be explained by neurons, synapses and nothing more. If so, Artificial Intelligence will never be more than a mimic of the human mind. Let us see what these researchers will be able to achieve in the futur.

Edited by sam_comm

If it thinks like a human it wont go very far. I thought we were supposed to create more advanced, better performing silicone as time goes on? Not regress and engineer obsolete chips. lol

Lets say that there is a computer with the intelligence of a human or even an animal how do we go about programming it's Instincts? For example it has been observed that animals instinctively know what food to eat, what a predator looks like, this knowledge is hard coded into them if you like. Now with an ai how do we do this and what knowledge do we give it? Do we programme it with the bias of its creator or provide it with knowledge and let it make its own mind up.

it's probably lying if it's saying it thinks like a human brain?

AI in itself probably will never evolve to be like a human, but if man starts to implant AI chips in the human mind then all kinds of scenarios could develop. This seems more likely to happen over the next 100 years.

it's probably lying if it's saying it thinks like a human brain?

Depends how you want to see it. If you want to say it simulates a few hundred neurons functioning like the ones in the human brain then yes, it thinks like a human. But it has a long way to go to achieve 100 billion neurons (which is what we assume a healthy brain has)... and I guess it will take some time before we see that in a small enough enclosure that does not need its own atomic power-plant to run.