Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Horizons films Charon orbiting Pluto

UM-Bot

The New Horizons spacecraft has managed to capture the orbit of Pluto's largest moon like never before.

With almost one year exactly left to go before its historic flyby of the distant dwarf planet, NASA's New Horizons spacecraft has been able to focus its cameras on its destination from over 265 million miles away and record a series of photographs showing Pluto's moon Charon orbiting around it.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-orbiting-pluto

"Charon is only one of five moons in orbit around Pluto but is by far the largest at 750 miles across which is actually more than half the diameter of the planet itself."

Didn't realize it was classified as a planet again. Might as well call it a binary planetary system, since they're almost the same size.

"Charon is only one of five moons in orbit around Pluto but is by far the largest at 750 miles across which is actually more than half the diameter of the planet itself."

Didn't realize it was classified as a planet again. Might as well call it a binary planetary system, since they're almost the same size.

I don't think Pluto lost its status as a planet. It was rather reclassified as a dwarf planet. I'm probably wrong though.

I don't think Pluto lost its status as a planet. It was rather reclassified as a dwarf planet. I'm probably wrong though.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."

Though the "dwarf planet" designation has irked some, Pluto is still the same old Pluto. Can't wait to see the closeups!

• Like 1

The Sails of ...

Nice pixels,

• Like 1

One day they'll create space crafts that can take pictures like the artists draw =\

Nice pixels,

What exactly were you expecting? New Horizons is still 11 months and 398 million km (247 million miles) from Pluto.

One day they'll create space crafts that can take pictures like the artists draw =\

They have already made spacecraft that take images of REALITY. Maybe a couple of inventions have failed to grab your attention, they are called the camera and the telescope. New Horizons is equipped with both.

An artists imagination is a wonderful thing but it has very limited scientific use compared to a photograph.

• Like 1

:alien: I want to see a few UFO's flying by. LOL :alien: Edited by MJNYC