Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Operation Gladio

Ichihara

On the morning of 2 August 1980 bomb expleded in Bologna central station killing 85 people and wounded more than 200.

What does it have with attack in Belgium, NATO secret operation called Gladio and Masonic lodge Propaganda Due see in BBC documentary 'Operation Gladio'.

[media=]

[/media]

Further reading: Nato's Secret Armies: Operation Gladio and Terrorism in Western Europe. Cass, London, 2004. by Swiss historian Daniele Ganser.

Edited by Ichihara
  • Like 1

Operation Gladio doesn't seem to fit the bill in this scenario. The whole purpose of Gladio was to have a geurilla warfare component in place in NATO, and for that matter non Nato countries, in the event of an escalation of the Cold War.

The purpose of Gladio was not to be pre-emptive, but reactionary.

• Like 1

did you watch documentary or read Ganser?

No.

• 2 weeks later...

The Central Intelligence Agency responded to the series of accusations made by Mr. Ganser in his book regarding the CIA's involvement in Operation Gladio, by claiming that neither Ganser nor anyone else could have solid evidence supporting their accusations. At one point in his book, Mr. Ganser even talks about the CIA's covert action policies as being "terrorist in nature" and then accuses the CIA of using their "networks for political terrorism". The CIA has responded by noting that Daniele Ganser's sourcing is "largely secondary" and that Ganser himself has complained about "not being able to find any official sources to support his charges of the CIA's or any Western European government's involvement with Gladio".

• Like 1

The Central Intelligence Agency responded to the series of accusations made by Mr. Ganser in his book regarding the CIA's involvement in Operation Gladio, by claiming that neither Ganser nor anyone else could have solid evidence supporting their accusations. At one point in his book, Mr. Ganser even talks about the CIA's covert action policies as being "terrorist in nature" and then accuses the CIA of using their "networks for political terrorism". The CIA has responded by noting that Daniele Ganser's sourcing is "largely secondary" and that Ganser himself has complained about "not being able to find any official sources to support his charges of the CIA's or any Western European government's involvement with Gladio".

The biggest problem, as I see it, is the fact that the US super secretive intelligence agencies have for a very long time been a law unto themselves- VietNam War CIA involvement in Drug Running; Central and Northern South America the same thing; Iran Contra sdcandal and the list goes on.

Doubtless there are other schemes that have not come to public awareness.

• Like 1

The biggest problem, as I see it, is the fact that the US super secretive intelligence agencies have for a very long time been a law unto themselves- VietNam War CIA involvement in Drug Running; Central and Northern South America the same thing; Iran Contra sdcandal and the list goes on.

Doubtless there are other schemes that have not come to public awareness.

There have been times, in history of every nation, when their government's clandestine arms have felt it necessary to act outside the constraints of conventional peacetime law in order to preserve the rule of law and to combat enemies. The CIA--originally the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) was patterned after and partly trained by the British M16(Secret Intelligence Service), and more importantly the SOE, the British Special Operations Executive, on the suggestion of Canadian born Sir William Samuel Stephenson, the senior British Intelligence officer of the western hemisphere in 1940. The much more seasoned, experienced and, frankly, worldwise British trained their American protege to conduct espionage, sabotage and reconnaissance in occupied Europe against the Axis powers, and to aid local resistance movements. Curiously, the British SOE was originally involved in the formation of Auxillary Units, a secret stay-behind resistance organization, activated in the event of German occupation of Britain. Few were even aware of the SOE'S existence. It had novel names such as "Winston's Secret Army" or "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare". From such able tutelage was the post war CIA eventually birthed. The CIA acts under executive oversight, and the ultimate responsibility for any of it's actions reside within the Oval Office. Edited by John Wesley Boyd

Excellent recitation.

You've earned a biscuit.

Congratulations. You've earned my contempt. Edited by John Wesley Boyd

JWB:

Don't mean to be rude, but I know all of that.

What you've posted does nothing to excuse CIA activity over the years-the fact that its genesis was the OSS, a war time agency, is no excuse.

The fact that other agencies around the world have broken the law is still no excuse-I know it happens, and sometimes it needs to happen, but the CIA has a record almost as dirty as that of the old KGB.

And to have the Chief Executive the only person to whom an agency such as the CIA reports, imho, a very dangerous situation.

• Like 1

JWB:

What you've posted does nothing to excuse CIA activity over the years-the fact that its genesis was the OSS, a war time agency, is no excuse.

The fact that other agencies around the world have broken the law is still no excuse-I know it happens, and sometimes it needs to happen, but the CIA has a record almost as dirty as that of the old KGB.

And to have the Chief Executive the only person to whom an agency such as the CIA reports, imho, a very dangerous situation.

No, you don't see my point. There's nothing clean about clandestine government operations. There was nothing clean about them before there was a CIA and there's been nothing clean afterwards. The CIA didn't appear in a vacuum, but followed the precedents set by previous organizations. Cold or hot, this sort of warfare has always been a dirty business. Morally reprehensible things have been done by all sides in war and peace. Innocent people have been killed and have been allow die by the good guys in every war. The excuse has always been that it was done for a higher cause. If that excuse was good enough our for predecessors on the world stage in previous eras, then the hell with their hypocritical objections of us, today. The British most certainly have no moral high ground from which to cast stones. Edited by John Wesley Boyd
  • Like 1

I agree with what you say, it its entirety.

But the big problem, as I eluded to, is that Joe Public doesn't know what's being done in his name.

Recently, you will recall that Angela Merkal had a rant about being spied upon by the USA. Indonesia did the same about Australia.

It's all political posturing. Of course we spy on each other, and it's politically niaive to think otherwise.

Incidentally, the US has set up a new Cyber Command Base in Germany-obviously with Merkels government approval. Did she really think that her emails would not be read, especially bearing in mind that she's on good terms with Ras PUTIN.

JWB:

Now here's a guy I wouldn't mind seeing rendered with extreme prejudice:-

British intelligence agencies MI5 and MI6 have identified the man suspected of the horrific beheading of American journalist James Foley, according to UK media reports.

The hooded man with an English accent is believed to be 23-year-old Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, known to fellow Islamic State militants as Jihadi John.

The former rapper left his family home in an affluent west London suburb last year to fight in the civil war in Syria.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/rapper-identified-as-james-foleys-executioner-reports-20140824-107w1i.html#ixzz3BKQaARY4

Methinks the lady doth protest, too much. Germans--especially East Germans like Frau Merkel--expect to be spied on by everyone. Having it come out in public looks bad in the papers and upsets civilians at their breakfast, so a little staged theatrics were in order. In the meantime, she dismisses weak links in here government the Americans have conveniently--too conveniently--exposed as easily bought. She is a very wise woman, and we've come full circle, quietly. Germany is once again the dominant force driving European foreign policy, and Putin and Poroshenko trifle with this woman at their own peril.

• Like 1

Congratulations. You've earned my contempt.

How very kind. But do keep a small portion of that contempt.

For dipping your biscuit.

• Like 1

How very kind. But do keep a small portion of that contempt.

For dipping your biscuit.

Quite alright, old man, I've enough and to spare. Ironic that my cut-and-pastes pass unnoticed, but a post in my own words is mocked, as unoriginal. I suppose that's sort of a backhanded complement. Thank you.

JWB:

Several months after the JFK assassination Harry Truman wrote an editorial in either or both, WaPo or NYT describing his regrets as to how the CIA had been constructed by Congress & himself.

He knew how and why JFK died.

• Like 1

Several months after the JFK assassination Harry Truman wrote an editorial in either or both, WaPo or NYT describing his regrets as to how the CIA had been constructed by Congress & himself.

He knew how and why JFK died.

Funny that. Can't seem to find that in any official record referencing it, only conflicting stories of it's origin. Did find this, though.:

From President Truman on, each President has written a note of thanks to the men and women of the CIA. These notes are displayed with the President’s official photograph in the Presidential Gallery of the New Headquarters Building. This story is the first in a series about the relationship each president has had with the CIA. This article will focus on President Harry S. Truman.

image.jpg

With the fall of the Axis powers and the end of World War II in 1945, President Harry S. Truman and Congress demobilized wartime agencies, like the Office of Strategic Services (OSS ) — the forerunner of the CIA.

However, President Truman began to have second thoughts when he realized how much information regarding intelligence and national security was being withheld from him. Truman also noticed that he was receiving redundant and confusing intelligence reports from several different agencies. He recognized the need for an organization that would correlate reports and give him a regular and consistent intelligence product.

Establishing an Intelligence Organization

For this reason, Truman decided to establish the Central Intelligence Group (CIG) in January 1946. The main purpose of CIG was to provide the president with regular updates on matters concerning national security in a timely manner. This led to the launching of two publications: the Daily Summary and the Weekly Summary. Both of these publications were intended for the president and were continued after CIG became CIA.

In September 1947, President Truman recognized the need for a permanent, civilian intelligence organization. The Central Intelligence Agency was established with the signing of the National Security Act of 1947, which charged the fledgling intelligence office with coordinating the nation’s intelligence activities and correlating, evaluating and disseminating intelligence affecting national security.

During President Truman’s time in office (1945 – 53), he discovered just how invaluable the Central Intelligence Agency was to national security. At a CIA orientation, President Truman acknowledged the contribution the CIA makes to national security:

“Those of you who are deep in the Central Intelligence Agency know what goes on around the world — know what is necessary for the President to know every morning. I am briefed every day on all the world, on everything that takes place from one end of the world to the other, all the way around — by both the poles and the other way. It is necessary that you make that contribution for the welfare and benefit of your government.”

It was President Truman who began the tradition of writing a note thanking the men and women of the CIA for their service to the United States. On June 9, 1964, he penned the first note that appears in the Presidents’ Gallery:

“To the Central Intelligence Agency, a necessity to the President of the United States, from one who knows.”
Edited by John Wesley Boyd

Good to know where you stand JW. :tu:

The article was published, and shame on me for not providing a link.

He argued that the intelligence gathering function was valid, but that the military should provide the assets on request.

Someday you'll catch up. That you cannot find it (assuming you were curious) is very much a personal problem.

Well folks, having purposefully wandered off topic, AGAIN, is there any more comment on Op Gladius? :unsure2:

Edited by toyomotor

Here, Babe. If you feel up to the challenge of sinking your teeth into something other than trifling innuendo and dubious hearsay have a go at this link, courtesy of the Freedom of Information Act. https://www.cia.gov/...dci_leaders.pdf

Edited by John Wesley Boyd

Here, Babe. If you feel up to the challenge of sinking your teeth into something other than trifling innuendo and dubious hearsay have a go at this link, courtesy of the Freedom of Information Act. https://www.cia.gov/...dci_leaders.pdf

It would be helpful if you would address your comments to a particular member so that we know which one of us should reply.

It would be helpful if you would address your comments to a particular member so that we know which one of us should reply.

Uh, Babe Ruth. In the post above mine. I would never address you so cavalierly. Oops. Yours is the post above mine. Sorry. Edited by John Wesley Boyd
  • Like 1

Lost in space,Lost in Time, It went right over there head`s. toyomotor ! Always does ! Cheer`s! :tu:

• Like 1

Uh, Babe Ruth. In the post above mine. I would never address you so cavalierly. Oops. Yours is the post above mine. Sorry.

Grovelling will get you everywhere. :tsu: