Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Three Ancient Maya Cities Found in Jungle

some new guy

A monster mouth doorway, ruined pyramid temples and palace remains emerged from the Mexican jungle as archaeologists unearthed two ancient Mayan cities.

Found in the southeastern part of the Mexican state of Campeche, in the heart of the Yucatan peninsula, the cities were hidden in thick vegetation and hardly accessible.

"Aerial photographs helped us in locating the sites," expedition leader Ivan Sprajc, of the Research Center of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts (ZRC SAZU), said.

http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/three-ancient-maya-cities-found-in-jungle-140815.htm

BEST - Ron

• Like 3

There are never enough photos posted with these. Love this stuff, nothing like rediscovering ourselves, lol. Thanks for sharing that article.

• Like 1

This is a great follow-up to an article in here a couple of months ago about the aerial imaging (forgive the lack of a link, when I have a minute I'll go try to look it up. Or maybe someone else can).

ANYway... It was only a matter of time before they started making these discoveries. VERY exciting. I want to go!!! At the very least I can't wait until more photos and information start coming out.

• Like 1

Love this stuff, nothing like rediscovering ourselves, lol.

there is nothing to discover about Mayans. we already knows all what we need to know. now we just filling little gaps.

Fascinating stuff, would love to be able to explore places like this.

there is nothing to discover about Mayans. we already knows all what we need to know. now we just filling little gaps.

I disagree we are only just scratching the surface.

• Like 2

I hope that's sarcasm

• Like 1

Wrong. Turns out they have greater depth in time than first thought. Ruins have been recently discovered older than all the others known with glyph writing unlike those used by later Maya and that can't be read.
  • Like 1

Wrong. Turns out they have greater depth in time than first thought. Ruins have been recently discovered older than all the others known with glyph writing unlike those used by later Maya and that can't be read.

it would be nice that you provide evidence for "ruins, older than all others."

it would be nice that you provide evidence for "ruins, older than all others."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/el-mirador-the-lost-city-of-the-maya-1741461/
  • Like 3

And when El Mirador was discovered? yesterday?

Don't be such a smartass and read the article. You might learn something.
  • Like 2

as I said, we know all we need to know about them. every new discovery is just filling gaps. nothing monumental. El Mirador is old news.

Don't be such a smartass and read the article. You might learn something.

Im a smartass.

as I said, we know all we need to know about them. every new discovery is just filling gaps. nothing monumental. El Mirador is old news.

Im a smartass.

We don't need to know anything else about the past by your definition. Personally, having majored in Mezoamerican studies in college, I know we know only a fraction of what there is to know. You've made your point that you don't need any of that, so we'll leave it at that. Edited by John Wesley Boyd
  • Like 3

We don't need to know anything else about the past by your definition. Personally, having majored in Mezoamerican studies college, I know we know only a fraction of what there is to know. You've made your point that you don't need any of that, so we'll leave it at that.

History is mother of knowledge therefore we need to know it. I just said and stay behind it that there is nothing myserious about Mayans. So why dont you share your dilemas with us? Perhaps someone know answer and you will finally fill your gaps.

Edited by Ichihara

History is mother of knowledge therefore we need to know it. I just said and stay behind it that there is nothing myserious about Mayans. So why dont you share your dilemas with us? Perhaps someone know answer and you will finally fill your gaps.

Dealing with appalling ignorance is a frequent dilemma, but one I've grown accustomed to.
  • Like 1

Any new find like this can reveal major things about historic groups of people that we never knew. To say we ...whoever this "we" is, since not everything is always well documented, know everything meaningful about a group of people is arrogant.

It's always nice to see that even in this day and age of technology that hidden cities can still be discovered.

Edited by NightScreams

Any new find like this can reveal major things about historic groups of people that we never knew. To say we ...whoever this "we" is, since not everything is always well documented, know everything meaningful about a group of people is arrogant.

It's always nice to see that even in this day and age of technology that hidden cities can still be discovered.

it is nice to see...and kind a boring to find "deja vu" evidences which just confirms offical story.