Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

pyramid-shaped tomb in Japan

OverSword

From the article:

Archaeologists in Japan have discovered that a large mound in the village of Asuka in Nara Prefecture contains a pyramid-shaped tomb underneath, according to a news release in the Japan Times. While work at the site is ongoing, the tomb has preliminarily been dated to the latter half of the sixth century. The finding adds to the mystery in Asuka, where multiple carved granite stones in peculiar shapes are dotted across the region, including the most well-known structure - the Rock Ship of Masuda.

Experts at the municipal education board and Kansai University’s Archaeological Research Institute said that the newly discovered pyramid-like burial, which has been named the Miyakozuka tomb, is a terraced pyramid made of multiple stone layers. So far, researchers have excavated stepped layers made of stones packed with soil on three sides of the mound. Based on the height of the mound, it is believed that the tomb consists of seven or eight stone layers.

Read the rest and see the pictures here

• Like 4

Kansai Uni.....as in Kansai-ben? Which is analogous to Deep Southern accents in NA.

So my inner monologue read the rest of the article with a southern twang.

pyramids are most logical shape to build to our ancestors. even if they built with spheres and not blocks it would be most logical solution.

http://finance.yahoo...-180433456.html

To be fair the most logical shape to build in is a forever home....a hole in the ground to house corpse until such time as the ending of the world does whatever it is gonna do to the dead....

• Like 1

500 ad is ancient`?

I might be wrong, but I think in terms of Japanese history it might be, at least I was under the impression that Japanese history, at least going far back, is a relatively new field of research compared to other civilisations, and that there's a lot to be learned even now, also I was under the impression that we're still not sure exactly who the Japanese were before they came to Japan, the Jomon culture I mean, and what their relationship was with the Ainu type people who inhabited it before them.

Of course we might actually know all this and I just don't...in which case ignore me! :P

Fascinating structure! Are there any continents that don't have pyramidal tombs? Seems they are a worldwide phenomena, connected or just logical building methods learned independently by different cultures at different time? Fascinates me as an impartial observer nonetheless!

I've posted this before, but Will Cuppy is always worth quoting again:

The fact is that building a pyramid is fairly easy, aside from the lifting. You just pile up stones in receding layers, placing one layer carefully upon another, and pretty soon you have a pyramid. You can't help it. In other words, it is not in the nature of a pyramid to fall down…

The step pyramid-shaped tomb is interesting but, I really like the carved stone found in the same area - known as the 'Rock Ship of Masuda'

*Snip*

It looks like something you would find in Peru.

Now that is interesting.

Huuuum.

Zip Monster

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image