Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mother arrested for swearing @ her children

OverSword

Is there a high class McDonalds? I want to go there...do they serve wine and have linen napkins?

7191276937c4c1ec80d0dcc9dd090ac0.JPGMzdjMWIwZGQ1OSMvU2NtT1ZCWXhmaXI5LWFmWHNZdjdSQ3RYX213PS82eDE1OjgzOHg1MzkvODQweDUzMC9zMy5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL3BvbGljeW1pYy1pbWFnZXMvOTk1MDY5Njc1MjE1ZTU4MjZhNzlhYWVlNjllYzUyYjI0MDcwYjMzYTkyZDYzMjI3OTg4YWEzMTIzOTA4YTU0MC5qcGc=.jpg

It has a lovely patio too, but not a McPlayland, or whatever they call them.

I bet vulgarity is a corporal punishment offense there.

• Like 4

I didn't realize frustrated expletives were a criminal offense.

it is there apparently ... " in North Augusta, South Carolina, that makes it a crime, punishable by up to 30 days in jail, to 'utter, while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd or obscene words or epithets.' "

I've never heard of that brand of bread though .....

This is similar to an incident several years ago where a guy in Michigan was arrested, and I believe sent to jail, for cussing after his canoe tipped over. While I'm no prude I do find the constant use of vulgarity in public to be an irritation. But we don't have enough jails to apply this solution fairly. I suppose now her children will be with Child Protective Services. Overkill all around when a simple "watch your language, please" might have sufficed. WTF is the world coming to?

CPS gets $1,000 a month for ever child they kidnap. Which is why they ignore. Court orders.

Not all Sailors swear man. I've heard more swearing by 10 to 14 year old kids coming out of school than I ever heard on the deck of a ship.

In the Army we have what are called "General Orders"... These are usually put forward by the Commander in Chief (President), or Army Chief of Staff... They stand until rescinded... Every soldier learns a collection

of them in basic training "I will guard everything within the limits of my post and will not quit my post until properly relieved" is usually called the First General Order (wow 44 years later and I can still recite it!)...

General George Washington (Yes THAT Washington) issued a General order that has never been rescinded or superseded...

"The General is sorry to be informed that the foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing, a vice hitherto little known in our American Army is

growing into fashion. He hopes that the officers will, by example as well as influence, endeavor to check it and that both they and the men will reflect that we

can little hope of the blessing of Heaven on our army if we insult it by our impiety and folly. Added to this it is a vice so mean and low without any temptation

that every man of sense and character detests and despises it.

(Signed,) George Washington"

When I was a Drill Sgt (and later a First Sgt) I use to tell my troops that I caught cursing excessively (or just too loudly) that they were in violation of a General Order...

You should have seen the looks on their faces!...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

On the other hand, when I take my wife out to a movie, besides the unnecessary profanity on the screen, there is usually a few "f-bombs" and other "colorful" language dropped by the young adults in line. I don't use this kind of language, neither does anyone in my family and very few of my friends (and NOT in public). Why should we have to put up with the crudeness of others just because it's a public place? Must our society continue to be more and more crude? I think most people would prefer a more civil society, but nowadays I wouldn't bet on it.

Jail time for this is ridiculous, but I wouldn't be opposed to a $50 dollar fine or so, enough so the offender has a bit of pain in the wallet and might think twice about profanity in public.

I agree with you on using excessive profanity in public, I find it pretty ignorant for the most part when somebody has to drop a swear word twice per sentence. I also think people should be free to express themselves which ever way they seem fit, so long as they aren't causing physical or emotional trauma in the process. To be honest, I don't find cuss words to be all that offensive emotionally nor physically. I see where you're coming from though.

Not all Sailors swear man. I've heard more swearing by 10 to 14 year old kids coming out of school than I ever heard on the deck of a ship.

I was just kinda playing on the old stereotype and joke,"cusses worse than a sailor". I do have several family members that are vets and active members of the U.S. Navy and I'll be honest with you, my now deceased grandfather was the stereotypical cussing sailor, but I suppose active combat will do that. My two cousins on the other hand are the complete opposite, they rarely swear in public, unless we're at the hole having a few and getting drunk surly lmao.

I agree, but I was speaking the same way when I was 10-14 years old. I eventually grew out of the constant cussing. I can still cuss up a storm though, and it feels great when i stub my toe or mess up a job at work lol.

Words are just words. I personally do not care how people choose to express themselves. I understand it is upsetting and abrasive to some and people should try to be more considerate of those around them.

That being said, I think there should have been a social reprimand and keep the cops out of it. What D-bag calls the cops over foul language? Oh, I know...a sheltered bible thumper trying to impose their views on the rest of the world...that kind.

This "see something say something" mentality is extraordinarily annoying to me. I don't think the original idea behind it was to rat out and get your neighbors in trouble...but here we are...rolling right back into the ways of Nazi Germany.

• Like 1

I wouldn't call the police for a word or two. But, I also believed there is no reason to cuss, stubbed tod or not.

If people wish to swear OK , but NOT at children in public, I was taught that swearing indicates that you have not a proper command off whichever language you use,so you use an expletive to

show what you mean. but you don't say "oh bother" when you hit your thumb with a hammer at least I don't .

• Like 1

Although I do my fair share of cursing and swearing I actually believe that it is a sign of being shallow and certainly when doe loudly in public amongst strangers just plain rude.

Unless the swearing to her kids was "I swear to God, I'm gonna ******* cut you." I think this is all a bit of an overreaction.

Language is constantly evolving so curse words become more commonly used. Language is a societal construct, so if the society stops caring, then it's just how it's going to be.

• Like 2

makes it a crime, punishable by up to 30 days in jail, to 'utter, while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd or obscene words or epithets.'

So, what happens if you utter something bawdy, while not in a state of anger, in the presence of another? So, if you are calm, cool, and collected, and said everything nasty under the sun, it's alright? :passifier: :tu:

I had a professor who label swearing as verbal graffiti. I thought that was a good summery on that. If I read the article right, the person who called the cops, later apologized to the lady saying it reminded her of growing up with abusive parents. Huh, I don't know about that. I believe she was, but to panic and get someone else in trouble, that seems not right.

But on the plus side this dumb b**** will ******* be a little more ******* careful the next time she start spouting obscene ******* **** at her stupid little b******* in public.

Hey! Asterisks offends me!!!!!

:whistle: :tu::whistle:

I don't think arresting people for swearing in public is just or a good way to resolve the problem. I personally don't think it's a big deal at all (swearing).

I do remember years ago a certain four letter word would result in a gasp and silence. Nowadays I hear it dropped like a bag of potatoes every day.

I find the whole situation laughable to be honest.

• Like 2