Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Body Camera's for all cops.

supervike

I read an article on how Modesto CA employed body camera's for their officers.

The article (sorry can't find the link) claims that police brutality or cop misbehavior reports have dramatically dropped.

I think Police officers have a tough job. They often deal solely with the worst our society has to offer.

I'm surprised, with the negligible cost of cameras now-a-days, that all Departments don't require them as a liability deterant.

More transparency in our peace keepers would keep everyone honest.

What say you?

• Like 3

I think that's a damned good idea, while cops do have an incredibly difficult profession and deal with some terribly unruly and violent individuals I would also say that cops will take their frustrations out on the wrong individuals sometimes. I saw a video the other day of some huge guy getting choked to death by a cop and it was really disturbing, anyways yeah great idea and good to see that it is garnishing positive results.

• Like 1

I saw a video the other day of some huge guy getting choked to death by a cop and it was really disturbing, anyways yeah great idea and good to see that it is garnishing positive results.

the thing is they knew they were videotaped, and still did it, i think we need a lot harsher punishments for cops, not cameras. they can always find a way to cover cameras. they do not care what happens after the fact, even when they know they are going overboard, because almost always nothing happens, and they walk away from it with no reprocusions

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

I say we plant them on politicians also...

• Like 9

+1

• Like 1

It seems great at first glance but can you imagine having everything you say or do recorded for 8 or 12 hours each day? Think about that. EVERYTHING. I think it would cause cops to resent it so much they might leave the profession. If such rules were put into effect then there would have to be protection of the officer's rights also. NOTHING could be casually required of them. Only recordings of specific time periods in a case could be subpoenaed. In THAT case then I think it would help to solve most of these kinds of incidents.

• Like 1

I'm on the fence with cop cameras. Making them optional might be a good way to go about it though. The genuinely good cops will probably wear them to prevent false claims, and the genuinely bad ones will probably not wear them and thus have no supporting evidence.

It seems great at first glance but can you imagine having everything you say or do recorded for 8 or 12 hours each day? Think about that. EVERYTHING. I think it would cause cops to resent it so much they might leave the profession. If such rules were put into effect then there would have to be protection of the officer's rights also. NOTHING could be casually required of them. Only recordings of specific time periods in a case could be subpoenaed. In THAT case then I think it would help to solve most of these kinds of incidents.

Well, that is the idea. Where and when the cop eats his doughnuts is quite irrelevant.

• Like 2

"When you are on patrol, when you put on your anti-stab/bullet proof vest you put on your camera as well".

So when they go to the bog, or are in the station picking their noses there's no cameras recording them, but when they're in the field and likely to get accused of something (or actually DO something) there's evidence.

Mind you, the American Tax Office "lost" emails, so video recordings of officers beating the tar out of someone will just as easily "be lost".

• Like 3

The article (sorry can't find the link) claims that police brutality or cop misbehavior reports have dramatically dropped.

I think Police officers have a tough job. They often deal solely with the worst our society has to offer.

I'm surprised, with the negligible cost of cameras now-a-days, that all Departments don't require them as a liability deterant.

What say you?

This is my home town...

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 1

Unfortunately you'll still have cases where police are accused of misconduct and the body camera just like the dash cam will be inoperable at the time.

• Like 3

It's a step in the right direction.

It would provide solid evidence for or against any claims against the L.E.O.

In my humble opinion, the Police are supposed to be held to a higher standard than just your average "Joe" on the street. They are supposed to protect and serve and be an example. If they have a problem with being monitored all the time in carrying out a very important social duty...maybe they need a new line of work.

Yes, they are humans and will undoubtedly make mistakes and perhaps say and do things they should not...but the knowldge it is all being archived might make it less likely.

As far as making some leave or choose not to become L.E.O's....fine. I'd be more suspicious of those that "doth protest too much"...

• Like 3

Some Police officers make bad mistakes in times duress. I saw one video where an Officer chased a suspect for a mile or so out through fields woods etc.. He finally caught the guy, hand cuffed him, then shot him twice ( he lived) The Officer claimed he fought with him upon arrest (he didn't) The news helicopter from a mile away filmed the whole thing with a long range camera. The officer was purely frustrated with the guy and shot him.

Youtube is full of videos like this. A camera the Police never knew was on them catches them.

• Like 1

Some Police officers make bad mistakes in times duress. I saw one video where an Officer chased a suspect for a mile or so out through fields woods etc.. He finally caught the guy, hand cuffed him, then shot him twice ( he lived) The Officer claimed he fought with him upon arrest (he didn't) The news helicopter from a mile away filmed the whole thing with a long range camera. The officer was purely frustrated with the guy and shot him.

Youtube is full of videos like this. A camera the Police never knew was on them catches them.

That is not a bad mistake. That is a decision to try and murder someone.

• Like 2

What say you?

I wonder how many of the cameras will suddenly develop faults, and under what circumstances?

One could become very sceptical if they happened to fail at exactly the same time that some misdeed is alleged. :unsure2:

• Like 1

I think it's a great idea and should be mandatory. It protects both the officer and the citizen and allows accurate analysis of nearly any incident.

Like Flight Data Recorders or Cockpit Voice Recorders in aircraft, it is most helpful during investigations.

• Like 2

Iv been advocating for this ever since I heard of the idea a year ago

• Like 2

The police shouldn't be required to have them on except when they are actively dealing with the public or when they need to be recording for purposes of gathering evidence. If there is an allegation of misconduct while an officers camera is not recording benefit of the doubt should be given to the complainant.

• Like 2

Can we add a shock device that delivers painful voltage upon detecting lies?

• Like 2

The cameras on politicians should record 24/7

even when they are in the bath?

The police shouldn't be required to have them on except when they are actively dealing with the public or when they need to be recording for purposes of gathering evidence. If there is an allegation of misconduct while an officers camera is not recording benefit of the doubt should be given to the complainant.

Do you mean that they should be wearing them when on duty?

For the uniformed patrol officers, aren't they always dealing with the public when on duty?

that is what a guy was told while being arrested for filming cops.

“Now we’re going to give you what you deserve for meddling in our business and when we finish with you, you can sue the city for $5 million and get rich, we don’t care,” Lt. Dennis Ferber said, according to the suit filed in Brooklyn Federal Court.

cops do not care what happens after,

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/125g-deal-vid-stop-frisk-article-1.1906965

Edited by aztek

It seems to me that if the Pentagon wants so badly to help out local police authorities, they would buy them the fairly cheap body camera systems which can help so much to find truth and justice.

Instead, they distribute MRAPS and the like which really are counterproductive to good domestic law enforcement.

• Like 1