Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lake Ronkonkoma local legend

coolguy

There is a lake here on Long Island ny its called Lake Ronkonkoma its the biggest fresh water lake on the island and legend has it that back in the 1800s a Indian girl drowned in the lake.and the lake was cursed.

And very year a male will die in the lake

The fact is that locals and historians will claim that almost every year for 200 years someone has drowned in the lake and it is usually a male. From 1877 to 1977 there were at least 147 drownings. Another fact is 32 deaths by drowning in the lake have taken place since1963 and are all men.One lifeguard said that in 32 years of being at the lake there have been at least 30 drownings that he was aware of.

http://societyofthehaunted.com/index.php/blogs/cathys-blog/139-haunted-lake-ronkonkoma

similar legend here at the other side of the world (Saharanpur, India)

I think the amount of males drowning would correlate to the amount of men prepared to jump in and cool off in the summer or generally fool around on the ice in winter.

A school friend of mine jumped into hollingworth lake during the recent hot weather, he got into trouble and nearly shrugged off his mortal coil. The fact he is a pot head wouldnt help too much.

People dont realise how cold the water can be and how quickly it would affect you.

• Like 1

That's a pretty common story and if you Google it, you'll find several conflicting stories about the history of the lady. That alone should tell you that it's nothing more than urban legend.

There have also been several women drown in the lake over the years. Sadly they are forgotten becasue they don't fit the model.

I would also guess that a lake in such a heavily populated area experiences at least one drowning a year. From what I understand, it's also a fairly murky lake and it's easy to get disoriented.

• Like 1

A guy just went missing they found his Kayaka but they can't find him legend has it that the lake leads to the ocean

• Like 1

A guy just went missing they found his Kayaka but they can't find him legend has it that the lake leads to the ocean

Why would the fact that the lake leads to the ocean be considered a part of the "legend" or relevant. Geographically speaking it either does or it doesn't, that would be easy to establish.

• Like 1

Holy Moly! I was looking up lake drownings and found these stats. I had no idea there were so many Great Lake drownings. And I grew up on one.

"GREAT LAKES, USA – The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project (GLSRP) announces its current drowning statistics. To date in 2014, the GLSRP is tracking 38 Great Lakes drownings. Overall since 2010, 368 PEOPLEarrow-10x10.png have drowned in the Great Lakes (74 in 2010; 87 in 2011; 101 in 2012, and 68 in 2013)."

http://glsrp.org/statistics/

bolding mine

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

It sounds weird. That's a lot of drownings.

What's the story about the girl?

As said any lake near a populated area would have above average drownings, no mystery here but many tragedies for the loved ones left behind.

Weird U.S.: Curse of Lake Ronkonkoma

Holy Moly! I was looking up lake drownings and found these stats. I had no idea there were so many Great Lake drownings. And I grew up on one.

"GREAT LAKES, USA – The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project (GLSRP) announces its current drowning statistics. To date in 2014, the GLSRP is tracking 38 Great Lakes drownings. Overall since 2010, 368 PEOPLEarrow-10x10.png have drowned in the Great Lakes (74 in 2010; 87 in 2011; 101 in 2012, and 68 in 2013)."

http://glsrp.org/statistics/

bolding mine

I'm surprised it's not more.