Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lifestyle / News Armpit hair to stay

bubblykiss

http://www.chinadail...nt_18314534.htm

Hundreds of Chinese women have joined a recent armpit selfies competition on micro-blogging service Sina Weibo, proudly displaying their unshaven armpits.

Started by a popular Sina Weibo public account, the contest is called "girls not plucking armpit hair". It encourages Chinese females to post a photo of their armpit hair to demonstrate their natural beauty, to echo similar events overseas.

The grossest form of cultural imperialism manifested yet or not? Well, not really because the shaving is only recent. So the not shaving of the fuzz pits is more of a return to fundamentalism, traditionalism.

So is this the furry manifestation of cuteness or something else?

However it is interesting to see standards of beauty challenged by cultures far older than my own.

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image & shortened copied text
  • Like 1

Hmmm. Not exactly sure what to say about this. If this is the cause they choose to take up, so be it. :unsure2:

• Like 3

I hate armpit hair...it's all scratchy and sweaty!

And the sweaty part is exactly what nature intended: so you can smell whether you like the person in front of you or not. Nowadays the best you can smell is whether you like their deodorant.

• Like 3

Nowadays the best you can smell is whether you like their deodorant.

Which is a good thing.

• Like 1

Which is a good thing.

Because you know whether you like the lady next morning instead of immediately?

• Like 1

That is completely dependent on how thick the beer goggles are the night before and how foggy they are the next morning. :D

• Like 2

Because I much prefer people who are easy on the nose, who care enough about the nostrils of others to bathe and adorn a pleasant scent. The delightful natural aroma of those school sports changing rooms from our youth are surely enough of a lesson to teach us that deoderent smells way better than sweaty people.

• Like 3

Because I much prefer people who are easy on the nose, who care enough about the nostrils of others to bathe and adorn a pleasant scent. The delightful natural aroma of those school sports changing rooms from our youth are surely enough of a lesson to teach us that deoderent smells way better than sweaty people.

Oh my, I had forgotten all about the wondrous smell of BO that filled the locker room! I cannot stop laughing. :w00t:

• Like 2

Still, if you bather regularly and well you'll still smell fine.

I mean, I don't cut or shave....anything. my avatar is actually a current pic.

I still smell alright I'm told.

• Like 1

The hair will still hold much of that odor causing bacteria even if you scrubbed it daily.

I have found, however, that the anti-antiperspirants can make thing smell worse so for me I find it easier to just shave when needed because I really do not care to have to stare at someone hairy pits or gorilla chests. It just doesn't do anything positive for me.

Body hair in general just nauseates me (not including hair on the head, though)

• Like 1

I guess that's ultimately the thing.

Just preference of taste.

I don't particularly care. I should point out I'm a dude so its generally more acceptable that I roll around looking like an ape. Women seem to get shafted in that sense

• Like 1

Most women haven't liked body since the Stone Age.

It still haven't stop men to club them over their heads and drag them into their caves.

I still recall a Japanese business woman I saw once on a train in Tokyo... She was dressed very neatly and everything, but she obviously had not shaved her legs in ... forever I guess...

That wouldn't have been so bad, but she was wearing hose, and the long black hair was all matted down underneath the stockings... not a good look...

• Like 3

I still recall a Japanese business woman I saw once on a train in Tokyo... She was dressed very neatly and everything, but she obviously had not shaved her legs in ... forever I guess...

That wouldn't have been so bad, but she was wearing hose, and the long black hair was all matted down underneath the stockings... not a good look...

*Crosses Japan off travel list*. Nope.

• Like 1

But don't you love discussing hairy women?

Beauty is such a subjective thing. The only thing I seem to find truly beautiful these days is a good deal on a Chinese Buffet. mmmmm, terrible Americanized Chinese *food* inspired stuff......

• Like 1

Please let this thread die

but apparently armpit hair is terrifying!

terrifying, i tell you

• Like 1

I dated a fuzzy hippy lady for around a year a decade or so ago....using my male super powers of in-observation and apathy I can firmly assure you I failed to notice her bonus hair most of the time.

Edited by bubblykiss

it's just such a strange thing for people to think that shaving it is necessary. it's hair. everyone has it. people should be able to shave or not shave whatever they please.

To be fair, we are talking about dozens of years of perceived beauty expressed in order to sell products to form a nice idolized form of beauty....which is ultimately based off of lovely marble, hairless, lifeless statues craved several hundreds of years ago.

And clearly, nothing is more beautiful than a lifeless lump of stone.