Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2020-2025 we will meet our neighbors?

Midyin

So I have been hearing over and over again that scientist are predicting we will be contacted by ETs sometime between 2020 and 2025...

Why? What is going to be so profoundly different in the next 6 years that's going to make ETs decide we're worth talking to?

Edited by Midyin

Europa is a start i guess, its just a estimate i guess, the same when i could get married between 2020- 2025

if this related to alternative history? as in speculation? or did the OP post in the wrong forum?

• Like 1

the "scientists" also promised us the hovercar by 1980.... guess what?

• Like 5

Aliens could turn up outside the White House Kremlin People's Square in Beijing* and say "take us to the leader, we come in peace" in Mandarin tomorrow. Or seven minutes from now.

"2020" is no more an important date then 2012 or 2000.

*because it's the centre of governance for the largest population on the planet.

• Like 4

They're probably still trying to figure if we're worth talking to or just exterminating.

• Like 1

Somebody has been watching too much Star Trek and figures we'll be on the verge of

space exploration by then. I have several problems with such thinking chief of which it's

not entirely logical that aliens would necessarily follow the prime directive as expressed

by Roddenberry.

I could probably agree the odds increase but then the odds we'll simply be anihilated

probably increase as well.

Aliens might not be as interested in "contact" as we are. If human minds are capable of

nearly any sort of thinking one can only guess at what aliens might find of interest.

The odds of contact now are low and might remain so until we go knocking.

Who knows?

• Confused 1

I don't see any reason to believe that date would any more probable than any other. We might find something on the Moons of S and J but we may have to wait many, many generations before we get robotic craft out to the nearer systems.

Edited by Hanslune

Meanwhile you can meet God. He is an alien too but a friendly one ! :)

I think scientists have speculated we will find signs of alien life in 20 years (radio signal, fossils, other signs), not a meet and greet with green men.

We have to find each other before we can even talk about conquering the massive distances that will inhibit meeting and communication. Any detection is likely to be from something hundreds, thousands or even millions of years ago.

You could just PM me instead....

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats

And how would someone meet God? Off themselves?

And how would someone meet God? Off themselves?

I answer PMs too.

so... who are these scientists who are predicting this?

That was a statement by Seth Shostak but he didn`t talked about to shake hands (or whatever) with aliens, his

statement is related to radio wave signals from ETs to be detected on earth within the next 25 years or so.

http://www.spaceanswers.com/deep-space/shostak-i-bet-everyone-a-cup-of-coffee-that-well-find-aliens-within-25-years/

• Like 1

They're probably still trying to figure if we're worth talking to or just exterminating.

Or maybe just who to talk to.

Counting radio, we've only been an extraplanetary species for about a century. It may be quite some time before we are noticed, if ever. If life is common, and if intelligent, technological species have evolved elsewhere in the course of galactic history, our over-inflated egos may be in for a terrible beating. From a galactic perspective, we may not be all that remarkable.

Edited by John Wesley Boyd

so... who are these scientists who are predicting this?

That's what I'm curious about. I've heard it a few times before and they allways say "Scientist predict" so it sounds like a few scientist are saying this, but until now(reading Toast's post) I have never heard any specific names actually offered up...

Also, how Credible is this Seth Shostak guy?

Is he a real scientist or a crackpot?

What about other scientist? Is anyone else worth a damn saying it or just this one guy?

That's what I'm curious about. I've heard it a few times before and they allways say "Scientist predict" so it sounds like a few scientist are saying this, but until now(reading Toast's post) I have never heard any specific names actually offered up...

Is he a real scientist or a crackpot?

What about other scientist? Is anyone else worth a damn saying it or just this one guy?

seth shostak is an astronomer, and involved with seti, is what i can find.

it's probably worth noting that the article toast linked is a casual interview, where he's just laying out his opinion.

Is he a real scientist or a crackpot? What about other scientist? Is anyone else worth a damn saying it or just this one guy?

Here : http://en.wikipedia....TI_Institute here : http://www.seti.org/users/sshostak

No, he isn`t a crackpot and yes he is a scientist. I would say that his claim (20-25years) is mostly based on the fact

that the CPU power will increase, based on Moore's law, exponential in this period of time and so the recorded scanning

units can be analyzed more faster, and so more in total, on patterns. I`m by myself are a SETI@home member

and the data units that I "crunch" on my PC are often some month old and that indicates that there are more data

units on stock than the actual (combined) CPU power of the BOINC project can handle.

But even if he has spoken about 20-25years, the chance that it will happen within the next 5 minutes is given.

Info about BOINC here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOINC

Edited by toast

Are you by any chance talking about the god that killed every human being on earth, except Noah and his immediate family (and most of the animals too) , in addition to many other genocides ?

Yeah thats a really friendly god !

• Like 3

With all the exoplanets already found in the immediate region of our galaxy, it is not hard to imagine the existence of other forms of life similar to humans.

Our solar system has only been around 5 billion years, whereas some solar systems could be as old as 14 billion years old.

I'm kinda' guessing that "they" have been around and around. The real enigma is why they have - so far, not made contact in an obvious way that no one can deny.

I mean, I want to do trade with these dudes! We can give them some beer to see what they think of it, ya know? Maybe they will fix our global climate change for a case of beer. Good deal? :yes:

I want to see pics of their women, too!

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

• 3 weeks later...

I met my neighbours two years ago......nice people. Didn't look anything like E.T. though.

With all the exoplanets already found in the immediate region of our galaxy, it is not hard to imagine the existence of other forms of life similar to humans.

Our solar system has only been around 5 billion years, whereas some solar systems could be as old as 14 billion years old.

I'm kinda' guessing that "they" have been around and around. The real enigma is why they have - so far, not made contact in an obvious way that no one can deny.

I mean, I want to do trade with these dudes! We can give them some beer to see what they think of it, ya know? Maybe they will fix our global climate change for a case of beer. Good deal? :yes:

I want to see pics of their women, too!

They are largely gas giants. Not so great for life. Not even a solid surface on the planet. Only a couple of planets out of about three thousand are "earth like" and even they are still subject to confirmation.

LINK - One of the Most Earthlike Planets Ever Found May Not Exist